Default Suicide Squad #11: Finale Discussion and Spoilers

Alright as with most series right now Tom Taylor's run on Suicide Squad is coming to an end after all the twists, turns, and death. Pretty much the entire issue has spoilers in it from the get go, so most of this will be in spoiler box but I will say a few things before hand. Do I think this is a good send off for the Suicide Squad? eh, not really Waller is not even in this issue and the only long lasting Suicide Squad member at this point is Harley. Is it a good send off for the revolutionaries? Yes it is. Is it a good send off for Deadshot and Harley? For Deadshot I think so and for Harley she will be just fine over in Tynion's Batman and her inevitable next series.

I will say that if you have come to like the Revolutionaries throughout this run, which I have because they are fun at times, you will probably really like this story but if you wanted a classic Suicide Squad story with Waller and all the villains you are normally used to it is not really that when it comes down to it. It really just comes down to how to do you feel about these characters Taylor made and the story he wrote. That said I liked it and taken as a story overall I think its an enjoyable series.

spoilers:
    So there is no doubt that Taylor is planning a Revolutionaries series, by the end of this it is pretty clear he used this book as a test pilot for the revolutionaries. Because by the end of this series, pretty much everyone from the Suicide Squad is gone. Boomerang left issues ago, Deadshot died, Waller left in the first issue, and Harley quits in the end of this issue but gets one last note by talking to Deadshot's daughter. The only one still hanging with them after all this is Zebraman and honestly I don't think people really care deep down what Zebraman is up to so he can be a member or quit for all we really care.

Though Zebraman does get to save the day.....along with a revived Jog who we learn is apparently the son of the Black Racer which is a lot to take in on the last issue. No seriously the New God of death is his dad, that is like the first few pages and it is every part of weird as you might think it is and I can only assume has something to do with the Black Racer future state book. But they just kind of sweep it away for now because he has to go save the day, which in turn saves TNTeens sister who joins the team at the end as well.

So in the end the day gets saved, and the Revolutionaries end the issue by kidnapping everyone involved with creating the Suicide Squad/Task Force X and basically blackmail them into never coming after them because if they do then people (I'm not sure if they meant the justice league or personal friends) will release documents to the public exposing them for their crimes. Thus, the Revolutionaries end Task force X and leave as one big group to their next adventure.

Like I said I do not think long time Suicide Squad fans will be a fan of this, because pretty much by the end of this series it is no longer the Suicide Squad at all with entire characters just either dead or having left to go do their own thing and the Revolutionaries blackmail anyone they can who helped create and fund the squad. Honestly if you are like me and are a Tom Taylor fan and just enjoying the story and new character you might like it but like I said long time fans will no doubt have a problem with this.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Astonishing Member

Does Ted Kord do anything in this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Rincewind View Post
    Does Ted Kord do anything in this issue?
    spoilers:
    I'm pretty sure he is the one who called in the Justice League, but mainly this is a Revolutionaries issue. His part in the overall story pretty much ended in the last two issues after it was revealed to be Black Mask, he just stuck around to help since he is a good person.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

with this my DC list is down to Far Sector

sad to see this go but man, this was a great Suicide Squad run! best in decades. the Jog bit was a shock but I dig it, Black Racer is a weird character but I see how it can work. I would love nothing more than to read a Revolutionaries series by Tom Taylor.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I really enjoyed this run. As many have already mentioned, it had that Ostrander-like feel of anyone of these characters could die in any issue. A team truly on a suicide mission. The ending was pretty standard but it closed the Revolutionaries story out well and left the door open for future adventures. I think it could have used one more issue to hint at the future of Task Force X. Maybe have Waller come back or reintroduce Peacemaker as I’m sure he’ll be a big part of the team when the movie comes out. As far as Ted’s friends that he mentioned in issue 10, I was really hoping it was going to be Booster, Guy, and maybe even Jaime. Unfortunately it was just the standard Justice League.

This title was a favorite of mine and I'm sorry to see it go.