Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Last appearance of Doomsday?

Did a little digging, was the last time we saw Doomsday when Superman sent him to the Phantom Zone, only for Doomsday to be intercepted by Mr. Oz in Action #962?

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Did a little digging, was the last time we saw Doomsday when Superman sent him to the Phantom Zone, only for Doomsday to be intercepted by Mr. Oz in Action #962?
    I believe that's the case. It seemed like that was setting something up for later,but it's likely now a dangling forgotten plot thread that'll never be resolved.

Frankly, I hope Doomsday doesn't show up again for a long long time.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I think Evil Future Tim Drake released Doomsday to distract Oz so Tim can go back to Gotham in Detective Comics #965? I need confirmation on that coz I didn't actually read it, just saw some pages.

Anyway, he appears in Oz's prison during the time they're all imprisoned, in the comics where they show the prison and prisoners, like the lead up to Superman Reborn, the issue where they show that Mxy escaped (they only showed the prison broken)

Yeah Doomsday showed up in Tynion’s arc of “A Lonely Place of Dying” over in Tec Rebirth. Far as I know he’s still in the PZ.

Quote Originally Posted by manofsteel1979 View Post
    I believe that's the case. It seemed like that was setting something up for later,but it's likely now a dangling forgotten plot thread that'll never be resolved.

Frankly, I hope Doomsday doesn't show up again for a long long time.
    Yeah Doomsday seems to be a casualty of Rebirth. But yes, Doomsday should stay where ever he is for a while, he's just not a villain that should ever be put in a rotation of baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by tib2d2 View Post
    Yeah Doomsday seems to be a casualty of Rebirth. But yes, Doomsday should stay where ever he is for a while, he's just not a villain that should ever be put in a rotation of baddies.
    Ok wait, looks like he was thrown back into Oz's vault in Detective #966 by Tim and "future Tim". But what happened to that vault???

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Everything related to the whole Mr. Oz storyline has been swept under the carpet so I wouldn't expect much follow up on this.

Bendis used him because it fit with his whole United Planets, Rogal Zarr stuff, but he didn't have any interest in exploring what Oz was actually doing because their original Doomsday Clock connections were nixed when Johns got fired. Same deal with Flashpoint Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Everything related to the whole Mr. Oz storyline has been swept under the carpet so I wouldn't expect much follow up on this.

Bendis used him because it fit with his whole United Planets, Rogal Zarr stuff, but he didn't have any interest in exploring what Oz was actually doing because their original Doomsday Clock connections were nixed when Johns got fired. Same deal with Flashpoint Batman.
    I think the whole Oz being Jor-El , or at least this continuity's Jor-El ,was an eleventh hour change from the original plan. Jurgens was probably given the task of tying up that particular loose end once it was decided Doomsday Clock was changing from a story to solidify the undoing of the New 52 continuity into a self contained volume. I've seen speculation that OZ was either Ozmandys or even original Golden Age Jor-L before it was revealed that he was just a time displaced Jor-El from the current history.

In any case,Jurgens himself never got to finish those plans for Oz/Jor-El and Bendis did something else with him, and thus all the previous OZ stuff,both Johns and Jurgens' versions just ended up in the place where all unused plot threads go.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?

Probably for the best. The idea of a villainous Jor-El never made much sense, even with all the torture and mind-controlled nonsense that they were never clear about.

Even when Bendis gave him the boot, they were never specific with exactly what his crimes were.

Like Punisher Angel, I suspect this idea is going to get forgotten and ignored as often as Peter Parker's spy parents are.

Probably for the best. The idea of a villainous Jor-El never made much sense, even with all the torture and mind-controlled nonsense that they were never clear about.

Even when Bendis gave him the boot, they were never specific with exactly what his crimes were.

Like Punisher Angel, I suspect this idea is going to get forgotten and ignored as often as Peter Parker's spy parents are.
    Ah yes. The Peter Parker spy parents that turned out to be life model decoys...gotta love the 90s....

Actually, Jurgens's Jor-El wasn't villainous - he was being controlled by the staff that was keeping the kryptonite poisoning at bay. I was expecting a "save Jor-El" arc at some point.
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Retired

I always expected a full walk-out by the Superman artists called upon to execute that character design. How many months would a penciller have to sweat over the pages for just one Doomsday story? Whoever designed it was a sadist.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I always expected a full walk-out by the Superman artists called upon to execute that character design. How many months would a penciller have to sweat over the pages for just one Doomsday story? Whoever designed it was a sadist.
    Maybe that's why they put Dan on those stories so often, lol: "You made this thing, YOU draw it!" lol
    Hear my new CD "Love The World Away", available on iTunes, Google Music, Spotify, Shazam, and Amazon: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01N5XYV..._waESybX1C0RXK via @amazon
    www.jamiekelleymusic.com
    TV interview here: https://snjtoday.com/snj-today-hotline-jamie-kelley/

Quote Originally Posted by JAK View Post
    Actually, Jurgens's Jor-El wasn't villainous - he was being controlled by the staff that was keeping the kryptonite poisoning at bay. I was expecting a "save Jor-El" arc at some point.
    I think a mind-controlled baddie is still a baddie. Hal Jordan was villainous as Parallax, even if he was possessed by the Yellow Impunity. Same deal with Mr. Oz being a villainous Jor-El who was under the thrall of Doctor Manhattan until, NO, he wasn't.

He's a morally nebulous guy who did some bad things involving Rogal Zarr, but we don't know what they are. Hopefully, Bendis is going somewhere with this and we'll get some sort of Save Jor-El story that resolves all this.

I think a mind-controlled baddie is still a baddie. Hal Jordan was villainous as Parallax, even if he was possessed by the Yellow Impunity. Same deal with Mr. Oz being a villainous Jor-El who was under the thrall of Doctor Manhattan until, NO, he wasn't.

He's a morally nebulous guy who did some bad things involving Rogal Zarr, but we don't know what they are. Hopefully, Bendis is going somewhere with this and we'll get some sort of Save Jor-El story that resolves all this.
    God I hope there's no "save Jor-EL", hopefully what they did to him worked (putting him back on Kryton as it exploded), and he stays dead as Uncle Ben!