Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Nah. I'm already getting better vibes than I did from Adventure (which, despite not being as good, I still enjoyed for what it was). As good as I was getting from the first series? Hard to tell yet. But I've got no big complaints yet aside from the confusing start to the second issue.

https://twitter.com/Croc_Block/statu...99900107816960

Bendis’ old deleted tweet hating on the Supersons vs the new first issue of Challenge of the Supersons is really funny to me- ������

And reading that one issue was still a hell of a lot more fun and had a hell of a lot more heart than anything he had Jon doing in his Legion run xD

He's such a loser he wouldn't be going this hard if he thought he didn't flop. Though I feel kind of bad I came for that man's neck underneath that tweet...
    Last edited by Journey; 12-24-2020 at 04:46 PM.

Incredible Member

Bendis is really being sore loser about us disliking his decisions and his work.

And Jon didn't need to be aged up in the present. He could have just gotten a Jon from seven years in the future, while leaving the one in the present as he was.

And there were plenty of other things they could have did if they felt Legion needed Superman character to boost it's sales other than taking away the Jon we liked and messing him up.

Whatever. I'm going to enjoy Challenge and continue to boycott the main books under PKJ and until Jon is de-aged and things are fixed.

I just cant believe the same dude who wrote for Peter Parker and created Miles Morales and Jessica Jones, of all characters, doesnt understand that people like the fun, mellow character building parts of Superhero comics just as much as the big, bombastic action pieces and high level drama that he writes so often now.

There's nothing wrong with a breather. It's not even like Jon doing a bunch of mundane stuff ever took up an above average chunk of the things he did before.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Bendis is really being sore loser about us disliking his decisions and his work.

And Jon didn't need to be aged up in the present. He could have just gotten a Jon from seven years in the future, while leaving the one in the present as he was.

And there were plenty of other things they could have did if they felt Legion needed Superman character to boost it's sales other than taking away the Jon we liked and messing him up.

Whatever. I'm going to enjoy Challenge and continue to boycott the main books under PKJ and until Jon is de-aged and things are fixed.
    The funny thing is he's going so hard like he did anything with this big "Editorial Move" it be different if he actually accomplished something or produced a quality story with Jon and we still talked ****.

No I'm talking my **** cause the man produced ****, he sent Jon off had Lois abandon him, had him comeback to earth started a narrative saying he had been tortured seemingly just off what he showed us 6-7 years. Jon comes back no trauma, ptsd no nothing perfectly well adjusted eventhough everything he ever knew is completely different, immediately shipped him off to legion has him walking around doe eyed doing nothing occasionally flying and throwing a punch. Then he paired him up with the most basic of basic bitches Saturn Girl they had no real interaction, build up or nothing now in his dying breath of his mediocre Superman/Action run he's trying to push this narrative that their this amazing cute new couple & Jon is a perfectly normal TEENAGER he emphasized that in action and that's just not the case. Matter of fact take Jon off the board and replace him with Connor for legion nothing is changed that's how irrelevant he is under Bendis.

That's 2 years of content summed up in a single paragraph 2 years of nothing his take on Jon has been complete **** so why he's acting like he actually did something and we're just haters is beyond me dude is delusional if he feels he accomplished something.
    Last edited by Journey; 12-24-2020 at 05:01 PM.

The fact that Johnson had gone on record as saying he fully intends to continue everything Bendis started just strengthens his belief that he did everything right. He still gets to brag because they're moving full steam ahead with everything he set up while everything in Tomasi's run continues to fade away more and more. He now gets to say that his Jon is the definitive one.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    The fact that Johnson had gone on record as saying he fully intends to continue everything Bendis started just strengthens his belief that he did everything right. He still gets to brag because they're moving full steam ahead with everything he set up while everything in Tomasi's run continues to fade away more and more. He now gets to say that his Jon is the definitive one.
    Pretty much. to Quote a little discussion I had over in the PKJ thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Yes, he acknowledged that himself and plenty of fans would have liked to see Jon be a kid again. However, he compared it to the most recent Star Wars Trilogy in which JJ Abrams and Rian Johnson ruined any kind of consistent narrative arc for the characters because each film tried to reverse course on what the previous creator had done.

Frankly, that's pretty fair. Bendis made certain creative choices that were clearly being done to serve Didio's larger plans for the DCU in regards to 5G. Slamming the breaks on that would feel odd. As much as I'd like to see a younger Jon play in the ongoing DCU, I think it'd be best to play out this older incarnation of Jon for a while rather than give readers creative whiplash trying to reverse course.

Like PKJ said, in comics, nothing is irreversible. Bendis himself left a perfectly useable trapdoor for de-ageing Jon whenever DC wants to use it. He left the circumstances of what happened to Jon on Earth-3 deliberately vague for a reason. It would be easy as pie to have a younger Jon reappear in the modern DCU, and have the older Jon, who's been aware of this all along, wink at him before heading back to the future.
    I'm sorry but I can't count him as an ally if he intends to try and make teen Jon work and stick. Trying to be charitable towards him assuming the best, I can only hope this would be part of a long term plan at DC to fix things with him showing how the aged-up Jon is broken from his experiences and why the age-up being undone would be a good thing for him and that the run would end with the teen Jon being written-out or killed-off setting things up so the next writer can bring back the younger Jon. Could work with his statement he expects Jon will be de-aged eventually. Unfortunately, there's no guarantee that "eventually" will actually come or when, so I can't support his run from a position assuming the best. I have to operate from a position assuming the worst.

But if it actually turns out he is on our side and this is just short term planned roadblock on a longer term plan getting the younger Jon back, then I'll apologize and gladly go back and give his run a fair shake when this situation is over. But I can't do that unless and until the age-up is actually undone.
    False reassurrances like PKJ saying he expects Jon to be de-aged eventually don't mean anything unless it actually happens, and the longer Jon stays like this it feels like there is a danger of it sticking and being permanent. I can't quite believe him when he says he wants Jon de-aged if he's not willing to do it himself. If he's in the position to fix the problem and isn't then then he's part of it. The best case scenario is this part of a bigger plan to first write out Bendis's Jon before bringing the kid one back, but in the present I can't act on assuming the best. I really have no choice but to continue by boycott.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Even that shouldn't mean **** when he looks at his leftover legacies at Marvel and how someone else always comes and fixes the fuckery he leaves behind. Shall we go down the list start with House of M all the BS that everyone is still trying to fix to this day, Wanda never truly recovered other writers keep trying to fix/do something with it but too many grudges for fans. The only in general set them up to stay only for another writer to do away with them after Bendis left, the failure of Bobby's coming out the disrespectful manner in which it was done and how another writer had to come in and make sense of it all. Civil War 2 butchered Carol and a many others and all that **** had to be sorted out by other writers or undone entirely.

All his **** either brushed away or improved upon to the point you would have never thought Bendis came up with it. I truly wonder where Teen Jon will land in the Bendis limbo? Brushed away or improved beyond recognition?

Quote Originally Posted by Artemisfanboy View Post
    Pretty much. to Quote a little discussion I had over in the PKJ thread

False reassurrances like PKJ saying he expects Jon to be de-aged eventually don't mean anything unless it actually happens, and the longer Jon stays like this it feels like there is a danger of it sticking and being permanent. I can't quite believe him when he says he wants Jon de-aged if he's not willing to do it himself. If he's in the position to fix the problem and isn't then then he's part of it. The best case scenario is this part of a bigger plan to first write out Bendis's Jon before bringing the kid one back, but in the present I can't act on assuming the best. I really have no choice but to continue by boycott.
    Yeah. It's a shame. His argument is especially flawed considering comics reverse or fix unpopular decisions all the time and are able to do it without making it feel like a regression for the characters or like what happened to them before didn't matter (cases in point: Damian's return from the dead; Peter and Mary Jane getting back together; the Fantastic Four returning to earth after being gone for years). It's very easy to put Jon back to where he was without making it feel like that time he spent when he was older never happened. Hell, the fact that he didn't develop at all during that time (unless we're counting his first romance that went nowhere as character development) makes it even easier to do it without losing anything.

I mentioned this before too but it'd actually be kind of an interesting take if he went back to being a kid but still had all his memories of when he was a teenager. Feeling conflicted because. while he gets to experience all the childhood milestones that he missed, he feels like it's too late for that since he already grew up once. Feeling embarrassed and even a little scared as he realizes that it's not just his body that's younger, but the way that he thinks and acts too (though I suppose that wouldn't be too bad. He was already pretty damn mature compared to most ten year olds). There's a lot that could be done with him having to grow up all over again while realizing that the person he's growing up into now isn't the same person that he grew up into the first time. Have him wonder which of those two people he was actually meant to be. That's just one of many ways you reverse a bad idea while still acknowledging that it happened.
    Last edited by Blue22; 12-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.

I have trouble believing PKJ's run will improve sales all that much. He's only got one real success under his belt, so he lacks name power, and DC sticking to their guns in this case just means that there isn't any real change coming that will create more interest. Since Bendis's run was underperforming (let's face it; he wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't), I don't see the books' sales improving enough to keep these changes longer than a year or two at most.

Meanwhile, Super Sons keeps kid Jon alive with more content, so his fandom keeps trucking on with an actual social media presence while I can't even remember the last time I saw unironic Teen Jon fanart or panel retweets (that weren't a general superfamily moment, at least).

Not that I'm unbiased as I have clear preferences, but this seems to me a much more tasteful and playful jab than the salty af "you should team up with Robin, thats the only thing you should ever do" dig.

Not much to report on the newest issue. Mostly just a set-up chapter. Though we do get to see a younger version of Rora. Guess she was some kind of apprentice for Felix Faust.