Guardian of the Universe comicstar100's Avatar

Default Will DC do anything with the Metaverse post Doomsday Clock

Now that Doomsday Clock has been over for some time I'm wondering will any writer do anything with the Metaverse idea introduced. Essentially different earths keep being created around era's of Superman. We saw a return of pre crisis Earth 1 now renamed Earth 1985 plus pre Crisis Earth 2 JSA etc. Do you think any stories could come from this or will it just remain a cool panel from Doomsday Clock?

Quote Originally Posted by comicstar100 View Post
    Now that Doomsday Clock has been over for some time I'm wondering will any writer do anything with the Metaverse idea introduced. Essentially different earths keep being created around era's of Superman. We saw a return of pre crisis Earth 1 now renamed Earth 1985 plus pre Crisis Earth 2 JSA etc. Do you think any stories could come from this or will it just remain a cool panel from Doomsday Clock?
    Just a panel. I never believed for a second that DC had any intention whatsoever of doing anything with it, let alone any comics about any of those earths.

Amazing Member

The interesting thing is that the Arrowverse Crisis on Infinite Earths comic arguably already connected with some of those Metaverse worlds.

The fact is that all of those universes and worlds do exist. Now if DC decides to use them, I'd guess it would be something BIG or something weird. Certainly I wouldn't expect anything permanent (or planned to be permanent) out of them. DC changed the concepts enough to necessitate the implementation of another world and going back completely is something few creators would do and DC (and Marvel) have never done a complete 180 and restored anything that major.

If I were to put my data analysis hat on, I'd suspect DC is looking at Convergence sales and each particular mini within the event. It's not great logic, because the presentation of the event put some people off, but I think it's the best they have. I assume DC is not stupid and shuffles a lot of factors and data around in deciding direction and releases. I'm far from an expert, but I can say with confidence, that there is no set formula and even the best laid plans fail on occasion.

DC's probably also looking at their Earth 2 book which did get a good push. Again, there are factors which made E2 an imperfect example of the potential of a JSA on their own earth series. Hell, anyone who's followed the plethora of threads about the E2 books and the JSA knows I disliked many of those issues, yet strongly favor an Earth-Two type of JSA.

But back to the main point. The Metaverse seems to be the world that DC was presenting as their main Earth. Whether it was the Golden Age Earth (eventually Earth Two), the Silver Age Earth One, or whatever they called the post Crisis earth. In each of these, there were different origins for Superman and within DC's offices, there should be a sign with an arrow pointing to whether the Kents are alive or dead. DClock told us that it wasn't just huge history changing events that change universes, but situations like the shift from the Golden to Silver Ages. With major changes like this, the more they're used and implemented, the weaker and less important they become. In the near decade since Flashpoint, DC's been a constant state of universe shifting. They promise a big story to finally decide on something, but it's like Bullwinkle pulling a rabbit out of his hat.

I'm going to call it frustrating and hope that something eventually settles down. Legion 11 had a "To Be Concluded" blurb at the end of the story. It's a safe bet Bendis will not be continuing with the Legion series after Future State. Being the only DC ongoing (supposedly, but it may end up being a 12 issue mini) I read, my focus went there. A JSA book is that big Christmas present that always goes on my list, but I know my parents would never spring for.

I sure hope not, the "metaverse" as Johns was pitching it was such a silly and redundant concept. Doomsday Clock was wild and untamable trash bro.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

My guess would be no, for a number of reasons.

1) New management. The people in charge when DDC came out are gone. The new people weren't in there yet and most of them weren't even working at DC. Plus, AT&T is looking for ways to cut costs. So we're likely to get fewer titles, not more.

2) We don't know whose idea it was. If this was Didio, you can bet it's already been trashed. Johns is also on shaky ground right now. Even DDC itself was changed halfway through to accommodate Bendis and if Waid is taking over Superman, my guess is most of his ideas are out too.

3) They may not have ever intended to do anything with it. It may have just been done to appease old fans and say "Hey, your favorite version is still out there somewhere." They left the door open to do something with it down the line but I highly doubt any actual plans were in the works.
    Assassinate Putin!