Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default When is your favorite Era of Comics?

I hear a lot of talk about such and such years not being good years. How this decade was better then that. It got me to wonder. What era of comics would you say is your favorite? What years do you love to read and can not put down? Not which ones were the best for the industry, or whatever from a sales or art standpoint. But which ones for you were the best and why?

People who follow my posts will find this as no shock. But for me there are two eras I love to read. The Golden Age Dc. I love the early Superman, batman and JSA. I could read those day after day and I do. I love how every good guy scientist is an expert fighter, and master detective. How a man who runs faster then anyone in the world beats his foes by stealing their clothes. Where the goal of every wealthy playboy is to put on a costume and make the world a better place. I want to live in a world where college eduated people can not figure out that the 5 foot 4 man they mockingly call Atom and the 5 foot 4 superhero named Atom are one in the same.

I also love reading 60s and 70s Marvel. There is just so much about them that I love. I love seeing the origins of the heroes and villains. I love reading without years and years of back story and history to try and muddle through. I love reading before things got dark and complicated. When the biggest problem was Magneto trying to take over the world or Doctor Doom stealing Silver Surfers cosmic power. Just off the wall plots and goofy endings.

So how about you? Dont just tell us an era. Let us know why you like it. I would love to get a good talk going on the different yeas of comics
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

This is a really good question.

I enjoy a lot of comics from the 80s, but material from the modern/ cinematic age is just more rereadable.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Boisterously Confused

That's a really hard one to pin down. A lot different eras had some really good and some really bad, usually for different reasons.

Overall, I suppose I'd say an era spanning The Silver and Bronze Ages, roughly 1964-the late 1970s. A lot of innovation over a sustained period.

Invincible Member

I'll say the Bronze Age roughly from 1970 until mid/late 80's. Partially from nostalgia, I grew up in the 80's but also I appreciate the variety of material and formats that existed. There was a greater diversity of genres not just among Marvel/DC stuff but also everything from Mad magazine, the Warren horror mags, the undergrounds, Heavy Metal etc. I still have fun discovering things I missed out on.

Next, I'd say the "Copper Age" ( have we agreed on what to name it yet?)...roughly late 80's to about 2000-ish. Most people think of this as the grim and gritty era, but I find this time interesting because of things like spread of alternative and indie comics, Vertigo, and the trades/graphic novels becoming a thing.

BANNED

I have a soft spot for the early '90s era that's often looked down upon (for many good reasons) because it's when I joined the hobby. I'd say I enjoy a lot of stuff from the early '60s on. Probably early '90s or late '90s for superhero stuff. Last decade or two for non, but some of my favorites come from before that. Hard to pin down.

70s Bronze Age and late Silver Age.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Probably the 80's the most but the 70's and the 90's as well. Those are the decades I grew up on and not just that ,it fit to my tastes even then. Not just because its how I was first exposed/introduced to them, honest.

Incredible Member a moment closer's Avatar

Most of my collection comes from the '00s and most of that is from Marvel. I only really started buying DC titles when the New 52 exploded and I've recently started collecting certain pre-52 runs that seem to have been printed between 2006 and 2011.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I'm mainly a Marvel fan, so my vote is for the Silver Age through the Bronze Age. From the debut of the Fantastic Four in the early 60's to the rebirth of X-Men in the mid 70's, there was just so much good stuff from the House of Ideas back then.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Retired

Since the topic says "Era" then I can tell you that I divide comics (American comic books) into two eras--the Classic and the post-Classic. The Classic is 1935 - 1985 and the post-Classic is everything after 1985. I guess there's also a pre-Classic, which would be all the developments in the art form that led up to the Classic years.

I have a soft spot for the '90s since that's when I first got into comics, but I've come to love the Silver and Bronze Ages more over the years, especially the early '60s and late '80s for DC, and the late '70s and early '80s for Marvel.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I'm mainly a Marvel fan, so my vote is for the Silver Age through the Bronze Age. From the debut of the Fantastic Four in the early 60's to the rebirth of X-Men in the mid 70's, there was just so much good stuff from the House of Ideas back then.
    You know, I like Marvel's Silver Age, but I've been rereading the pre-FF fare available on Marvel Unlimited (great library, BTW, just wish they had more Golden Age stuff), and I've noticed something funny. What's generally accepted as Marvel's entry into the Silver Age (FF#1 on) reads very - very - much like the B-scifi/monster film-knockoff Atlas-era stories that preceded it. The protagonists aren't quite as helpless as their Pre-FF counterparts because, you know...powers, but the kinds of menaces and resolutions are very much the same. They're scattered out a bit among different stories, but in those pre-FF tales, you can find the DNA of some of Marvel's greatest Silver Age stories to come, including "The Coming Of Galactus."

Astonishing Member

While I am still certainly a fan of the Carl Barks stories that I grew up reading, my favorite "era" was 1990s Vertigo.

BANNED

I think the era you start reading comics in is the favorite era. Cliche but it happens to be true.

That said, a lot of the comics and writers/artists I like tend to be from the '80s, so I guess the '80s is my favorite era.

I find I like a lot of comics from the 90s to early 2000s.