Page 15 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    I found the Peter Cushing version of The Hound of the Baskervilles on the free movies section of my On Demand. I tried to watch it last night but it was late and I fell asleep. But I'll watch it today.

Attachment 108064
    I watched that film several years ago and enjoyed it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

I was watching the 2nd disc in my Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series set last night.

I watched "The Crooked Man", "The Speckled Band" and "The Blue Carbuncle".

Keep in mind that I've seen all of these before, but the thing that surprised me was the connection to Star Trek that "The Speckled Band" had. Actor Jeremy Kemp played the villain in the Holmes episode and he would later go on to play Robert Picard on the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Family". Just one of those odd little things I either didn't know before or had forgotten.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Boisterously Confused

I was watching the 2nd disc in my Jeremy Brett Sherlock Holmes series set last night.

Keep in mind that I've seen all of these before, but the thing that surprised me was the connection to Star Trek that "The Speckled Band" had. Actor Jeremy Kemp played the villain in the Holmes episode and he would later go on to play Robert Picard on the Star Trek: The Next Generation episode "Family". Just one of those odd little things I either didn't know before or had forgotten.
    I've noticed that. I don't know if its just that we get a limited array of British shows and movies in the US, or if its that the academy of British actors is relatively small. I see the same faces a lot.

When you get around to watching The Return of Sherlock Holmes, in the fourth episode of the series (from the DVD's), "The Six Napoleons", Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) played the wife of a Mafia gangster.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Not Star Trek related but Jude Law was in an episode in season 1, "Shoscombe Old Place" Of course later on he co-starred as Watson in the Robert Downey Jr. Holmes films.

Retired

I've never found an explanation for why Marina Sirtis could speak perfectly well in every other role she had, but when it came to playing Deana Troi she had to talk like she had marbles in her mouth. Given her Betazoid mother, Lwaxana, spoke perfectly good English with no accent, it can't be because she was an alien.

I'm excited for this upcoming game.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I've never found an explanation for why Marina Sirtis could speak perfectly well in every other role she had, but when it came to playing Deana Troi she had to talk like she had marbles in her mouth. Given her Betazoid mother, Lwaxana, spoke perfectly good English with no accent, it can't be because she was an alien.
    Actually, it was. Marina created that accent for her character, figuring that an alien should have an alien accent and, at the time, there were no plans for any other Betazoid characters. However, when her mother was introduced, no one gave her actress that memo, so Deanna's accent suddenly became inexplicable.
    Last edited by foxley; 04-14-2021 at 02:20 PM.

I just got around to watching the 1983 TV movie version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. Quite a decent adaptation, and one I consider especially interesting for its cast.

Ian Richardson is brilliant as Holmes (which should not come as a surprise to anyone). He immediately jumps into my top tier of screen Sherlocks. Not equal to Jeremy Brett, but certainly up there with Peter Cushing, and streets ahead of the likes of Edward Woodward and Charlton Heston, and even ahead of stalwarts like Christopher Lee.

Denholm Elliott is a brilliantly distracted and absentminded Dr. Mortimer. Ronald Lacey (Toht in Raiders of the Lost Ark) is a suitably cocky and weaselly Inspector Lestrade. Nicholas Clay (Lancelot in Excalibur) plays Jack Stapleton with a constrained manic energy that fits the character perfectly. Glynis Barber (Blake's 7, Dempsey & Makepeace) plays a beautiful and spirited Beryl Stapleton: a character I'd never really given a lot of thought to, but she is now my perfect casting for it (but, then again, I've had a crush Ms. Barber ever since her Blake's 7 days ).

Brian Blessed plays Lyons, a character created for this adaptation (taken the place of Frankland, the filer of nuisance lawsuits), and is superbly brutish and belicose. Connie Booth (Fawlty Towers) is his long-suffering wife.

And now the not so good. Martin Shaw (Inspector George Gently, Judge John Deed), an actor I normally enjoy, feels sadly miscast as Sir Henry Baskerville. The character was needlessly changed from Canadian to American (presumably to make it easier to sell the movie in the US) and spouts some American platitudes about how they fought a war to get rid of titles. And his voice was dubbed by an American actor, which may be why his performance just feels off.

And Donald Churchill never quite nails it as it as Watson (IMO). His performance is inclined towards the buffoonish (although some of that is the script), but not to Nigel Bruce levels. But Hound is the story where Watson is centre stage for most of the story and Churchill just does not have the acting chops to pull it off. (And your bonus Holmes trivia: Donald Churchill would go on to play Scott Eccles in "Wisteria Lodge" in the Jeremy Brett series.)

The movie has some glorious location shooting on the moors in Devon, which unfortunately makes it very obvious that the London scenes were shot in a studio.

Overall a flawed, but definitely worthwhile adaptation. Certainly worth checking out for Richardson's brilliant Holmes, and the (mostly) excellent supporting cast.
    Last edited by foxley; 04-14-2021 at 02:25 PM.

That was part of a series; the Grenada production killed it, but not before they did a very nice production of The Sign of Four with Richardson as well.

You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

In a nifty sort of career continuity, Richardson also ended up playing Dr. Bell in LOCKED ROOMS... And Bell, was, of course, always cited by Doyle as being the real life prototype for Holmes.

You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hatcher View Post
    In a nifty sort of career continuity, Richardson also ended up playing Dr. Bell in LOCKED ROOMS... And Bell, was, of course, always cited by Doyle as being the real life prototype for Holmes.

I'll have to check out The Sign of Four then.

I watched the Dr. Bell when it was shown, but here is Australia it was called Murder Rooms. I remember that I enjoyed it, but its been more than 20 years since I saw it, so I'm probably due a re-watch.

I think the whole of The Sign of Four is up on Youtube, chopped into chapters. Not ideal, but watchable.

In the version of "The Sign of Four" from the Jeremy Brett series, Jonathan Small was played by John Thaw, better known to fans of British police dramas as Inspector Morse.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hatcher View Post
    I think the whole of The Sign of Four is up on Youtube, chopped into chapters. Not ideal, but watchable.
    I ordered a cheap DVD off ebay.