Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 142021222324

I just watched the 1933 film A Study in Scarlet, which turned out to be a decidedly odd beast.

First of all, don't let the title fool you. This is not an adaptation of the first Holmes novel. Apparently, the Conan Doyle estate quoted the producers a price for the rights to the title and a considerably higher price to use the original story. So the producers paid the lower price and hired "B" director Robert Florey to write a new story.

Reginald Owen plays a largely forgettable Holmes. He is able to rattle off deductions with reasonable conviction, but his portrayal is oddly 'vanilla': lacking any of Holmes' quirks like his irritability, his puckish sense of humour, or his intellectual superiority. Owen's matinee idol looks don't help sell him as Holmes, and his muscular physique makes him look more like someone who used to be a quarterback rather than Holmes' lean whipcord strength. Interestingly, the year before, Owen had played Watson in 1932's Sherlock Holmes, opposite Clive Brook as Holmes, making him one of the handful of actors to have played both Holes and Watson. Having seen both films, I think he makes a better Watson than Holmes.

As for the rest of the cast... Warburton Gamble is almost invisible as Watson, and is too old for the role. But he is no buffoon, so that's a plus (although this was before Nigel Bruce made people expect Watson to be a buffoon). Alan Mowbray plays a very upper class Lestrade (or 'Lastrade' as he is listed in the credits) who is on extremely good terms with Holmes and seems almost slavishly grateful for his help (so not very like Lestrade at all, in other words). Of the supporting cast, Anna May Wong as Mrs Pyke is definitely the standout, although as is typical for her films, the writers don't seem to know what to do with a strong Asian female actor. Alan Dinehart plays Thaddeus Merrydew, one of the main bad guys, who has been written as a cross between Moriarty and Charles Augustus Milverton.

A touch that stands out is the killer leaving pieces of paper containing verses from the "Ten Little Indians" (to give it its more politically correct title) nursery rhyme (here referred to as "Ten Little Black Boys") on the bodies of the victims. At first I thought this was a blatant ripoff from Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None, before realising this film came out 6 years before Dame Agatha's famous novel. Unfortunately, unlike the Christie book, the methods of death do not match the verses.

Although the story is original, it is scattered with ideas lifted from the canon, so some fun fun can be had spotting them all. Amongst others, there is the Whitaker's Almanac code from The Valley of Fear and Holmes giving a physical description of a criminal from examining the crime scene after the fact from The Boscombe Valley Mystery.

One odd slip-up is that Holmes' address is given as 221A Baker Street.

Overall, this a largely forgettable entry in Holmes cinematic canon, but it is in the public domain and so easy to find (the whole film is up on YouTube), and at only 71 minutes, it's not a huge commitment of time for anyone who wants to check it out.
    Last edited by foxley; 07-16-2023 at 09:28 PM.

I am currently rereading the Solar Pons stories by August Derleth: the finest of the Holmes pastiches.

In "The Adventure of the Missing Huntsman", Pons and his chronicler Dr, Lyndon Parker take part in a fox hunt while investigating a murder. This got me thinking and I realised that I don't think there is a single instance of Holmes riding a horse in the canon.

Am I forgetting something? It seems likely that if Holmes did grow up on a country estate in Yorkshire,he probably learnt to ride a horse, even if Doyle never mentioned it.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    I am currently rereading the Solar Pons stories by August Derleth: the finest of the Holmes pastiches.

In "The Adventure of the Missing Huntsman", Pons and his chronicler Dr, Lyndon Parker take part in a fox hunt while investigating a murder. This got me thinking and I realised that I don't think there is a single instance of Holmes riding a horse in the canon.

Am I forgetting something? It seems likely that if Holmes did grow up on a country estate in Yorkshire,he probably learnt to ride a horse, even if Doyle never mentioned it.
    I too can't recall him ever riding a horse in the original stories. He mostly walked, took a train, or rode in a horse drawn carriage. He might have ridden a bike though, I can't recall.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    I too can't recall him ever riding a horse in the original stories. He mostly walked, took a train, or rode in a horse drawn carriage. He might have ridden a bike though, I can't recall.
    Holmes displays a knowledge of cycling in "The Solitary Cyclist" and "The Priory School", but I don't think he rides a bike in either of those stories.

Doyle was a keen cyclist himself, so Holmes knowledge of cycling makes sense. I never read anything that indicated Doyle was an equestrian, which may explain the lack of horse riding in the canon. Apparently "Silver Blaze" contains several errors regarding horse racing for those who understand the sport. (Personally I don't so I don't know what they are.)

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

In the movie, Game of Shadows, Sherlock rides a horse.

GameShadows.jpg

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post

For anyone who's seen the early 90's Sherlock Holmes TV series starring the late, great Jeremy Brett, there's a scene from "The Priory School" where Holmes (and Watson) rides a horse.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    For anyone who's seen the early 90's Sherlock Holmes TV series starring the late, great Jeremy Brett, there's a scene from "The Priory School" where Holmes (and Watson) rides a horse.
    Loved that show, but I haven't seen it in forever. I also loved Brett as Watson in a stage play with Moses and Howling Mad Murdoch. Total pro, even when he lost his mustache as the play suffocated the first thee rows with dry ice mist that overflowed the stage and got me and my Mom, (I was quite a little kid at the time).

It's an excellent tv show. I have fond memories of that one plus Poirot with David Suchet

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    In the movie, Game of Shadows, Sherlock rides a horse.

GameShadows.jpg
    ^^^LOL!
    I remember he said they were dangerous at both ends.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Loved that show, but I haven't seen it in forever. I also loved Brett as Watson in a stage play with Moses and Howling Mad Murdoch. Total pro, even when he lost his mustache as the play suffocated the first thee rows with dry ice mist that overflowed the stage and got me and my Mom, (I was quite a little kid at the time).
    I have the show on DVD, and it's on the BritBox streaming service.

Quote Originally Posted by hyped78 View Post
    It's an excellent tv show. I have fond memories of that one plus Poirot with David Suchet
    Cool beans! Kenneth Branaugh is a great actor, but he can't hold a candle to David Suchet as Poirot!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

A nice collections of illustrations German artist Klaus Ensikat did for one German Holmes edition:
    https://sherlockholmes.fandom.com/de...llustrationen)

I have the show on DVD, and it's on the BritBox streaming service.

Cool beans! Kenneth Branaugh is a great actor, but he can't hold a candle to David Suchet as Poirot!
    Another TV presentation where I think the actor exactly nailed the detective--alongside Brett's Holmes and Suchet's Poirot--was Edward Petherbridge as Lord Peter Wimsey in the 1987 BBC series A Dorothy L. Sayers Mystery. He looks the part and plays the upper class twit that Wimsey likes to portray himself as very well, but always gives the sense of a deep intelligence underlying the act, and can switch from frivolous to deadly serious in a heartbeat, and with an intensity that you can believe he was a major in the Rifle Brigade on the Western Front during the Great War.