Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Default 2024 NFL Off-Season thread

Were almost a week out from the Super Bowl. And right now 30 teams are now facing the off season and decisions ahead. This thread is about the off season news with coaches , players etc. Not any Super Bowl related type posts.

Here ....we....go......

Will the Cobra Commanders ever select a Head Coach ?

The Commanders are the last team to select a head coach. They have watched as one candidate they wanted (Ben Johnson) decided he'd rather stay in Detroit as offensive coordinator than take the head coach reigns there. Bill Belichick wants complete power and Washington has assembled a front office that doesn't work.

No one knows who Washington has their eye on currently. Possibly a coaching candidate from the 49ers or Chiefs once that game ends.

With over $70+ million in cap space , several young pieces there offensively and a high draft pick ....Washington does have a decent spot. But the years of terrible front office and ownership may have tainted it all.

- Will Russell Wilson rebound his career ?

BRONCOS COUNTRY....LETS RIDE.....

Ok sorry Denver fans ...but its a suitable question here beyond the words by Wilson to start his Denver career. Right now , no one knows if he will be staying or going. Denver really wishes they hadn't gave Wilson that huge guaranteed extension. But now they have to decide to eat $85+ million in 2 seasons or just try and see if he can play it out.

There are other questions for sure. We can examine them as time passes. Free agency is coming , how will Jim Harbaugh do ? How will Eagles do with Kellen Moore calling plays ? Will Skip Bayless be able to handle it come Super Bowl time and either the 49ers or Chiefs win ? With 2 young QBs going to big game other than Dak Prescott ?
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Since Washington is in the off season I thought I would post this here. I am not sold on Dan Quinn going to Washington. I am not big on hiring defensive coaches as head coaches in the first place and I dont think Quinn will do much to improve Washington. I feel this is a big miss and Quinn will be gone 6 games into his 3rd season.

And what will this do to the defense of Dallas? Will it get worse?
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Since Washington is in the off season I thought I would post this here. I am not sold on Dan Quinn going to Washington. I am not big on hiring defensive coaches as head coaches in the first place and I dont think Quinn will do much to improve Washington. I feel this is a big miss and Quinn will be gone 6 games into his 3rd season.

Quinn got the Matt Ryan led Falcons to the Superbowl but failed to finish as they coughed up a 28-3 lead.

Quinn has led one of the best defenses (in the regular season) in the league in his 3 seasons with the Cowboys, but they were never able to finish in the post-season.

On paper he has the kind of resume that organizations look for in a head coach, and being a head coach who got to a Super Bowl is not something most of the candidates in this year's pool can claim, aside from Bill B.). But for me that's all overshadowed by the failures to finish the job. His teams come up least when it matters most. For an organization like Washington, that hasn't really been relevant for a while and who is trying to forge it's identity in the post-Snyder era, Quinn does have the tools to start that process, but I am not sure he is the one to finish it. I think he could bring them a couple of winning records in the regular season and a playoff appearance or two, but they'll be paper tigers once they get there (much like Dallas has been since their last heydey in the 90s).

I don't think he was a bad choice, considering their circumstances, but I don't think he's a particularly good choice either. I think the lingering taint of Snyder (even though he's gone) and several years of irrelevance has made the Washington job unattractive to a lot of candidates (despite the cap room and draft capital they have) and their lack of a reliable QB doesn't help. Many of the hot candidates passed on the job, so they went with the guy who has a proven record of taking a team to the SB.

As for how that affects Dallas. He was a favorite of the players and got max effort form them, but his schemes were inefficient and the D having to run on max effort all season long to be be effective continued to cost them late in the season and in the post-season. If they can find someone who can win the players over but come up with a more efficient scheme for the talent that doesn't wear them out before crunch time, they'll be fine. Ron Rivera has been mentioned as being a favorite for the position and in supposed to interview either this week or next. They have some internal candidates as well. But they need someone who can figure out how to stop the run without losing the ability to pressure the passer. They also need to draft better (they whiffed on every pick last year), especially up the middle on defense. If they can solve their issues with the run, they could maintain their status as a top D, if not, they'll continue to rack up sacks and turnovers while losing games to teams that can run the ball and eat up the clock keeping the Dallas offense on the sidelines. They also need to figure out their run game again, to extend time of possession and keep the D off the field so it doesn't wear out by the post season. A lot of their issues are organizational, not on the D coordinator, and if they don't solve those, who they hire as D-coordinator won't matter much.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

For the Rams in this offseason, it will get interesting. The big question is - will it be a sit back and retool year or an all out, mortgage your future for the prize year. Here is what I expect:

First, this is likely to be Stafford's final year before he retires. So I'd look for the Rams to draft a QB, as it purports to be a good draft year for them. They currently sit at #19, so they may need to trade up to get a QB they want. Another option is to try and get someone like Cousins, if the Vikings and he don't work out a new deal and he goes to FA. But getting a rookie might be the best route long term here. So the question is do they get Stafford's replacement now or kick the can down the road.

Second, the Rams have cap space for once. Some $50million of it according to reports. Be that as it may, they have something to work with that should allow them to pick up some additional veterans on defense, especially edge rushers and line. Couldn't hurt for them to get secondary help as well, if they can swing it.

Third, the rumors continue of McVay leaving. I think he stays at least another year, because they actually fared pretty well with a subpar team this past season, and with a few moves they could be right back in the hunt with a legitimate shot at one last SB before McVay leaves. Maybe high hopes there, and its still very early to speculate, but we could see one last balls-to-the wall push to have a SB caliber team here again. Will he stay two years if needed?

Of course the big wild card is their young talent. If any of this is going to work, they need another up and comer or two to really shine and come into their own. And the Rams could do something completely out of the blue like find Offensive Linemen and build that front so their rungame gets even better. I hope not though. Need to focus on locking down the run game of other teams, really.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 02-01-2024 at 06:08 PM.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

With a deep QB draft I can see the Rams taking one in 2nd or 3rd rd if they have a selection there. As it’s shown by teams, draft the young player to learn a season then start them. Philadelphia, Green Bay etc shows it can be done.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Looks like the Raiders are hiring Kingsbury to be their OC and possibly add good ol Hue Jackson to the offensive staff. Curious to see if Mark signs off on that one....
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post

With the Commies signing Quinn, both Bill Belichick and Mike Vrabel were left out in the cold. I can understand teams passing on Bill since teams weren't willing to give him the keys, not after a 13 loss season and his recent track record of average to poor drafts, but I'm surprised Vrabel, easily the most successful of Darth Hoodie's padawans wasn't hired.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 02-02-2024 at 02:53 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    With the Commies signing Quinn, both Bill Belichick and Mike Vrabel were left out in the cold. I can understand teams passing on Bill since teams weren't willing to give him the keys, not after a 13 loss season and his recent track record of average to poor drafts, but I'm surprised Vrabel, easily the most successful of Darth Hoodie's padawans wasn't hired.
    I really thought they should have hired Vrabel. Hell....I would have picked Brian Flore. That guy took a not so talented then Miami team into a winning season. He has a demeanor about him. Washington needed that.

Extraordinary Member

I would have just promoted Bienemey in Washington.

Any thought son how the owners are looking into the XFL kickoff rules as a possible replacement to their currently neutered NFL kickoff rules? I like the XFL kickoff, because the average return yardage is the same as the current NFL, but with far fewer touchbacks and far more kickoff returns for TDS.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

RIP to former Oakland Raider Linebacker and Movie Pop Culture Icon...Carl Weathers

#BePeace
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    RIP to former Oakland Raider Linebacker and Movie Pop Culture Icon...Carl Weathers

#BePeace
    I choose to believe that Weathers died in his sleep. He went down fighting....A PREDATOR ! Like a warrior. Remember this moment....

POWER.....RIP !

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post

#BePeace
    If you're old enough, you remember when a group of NFL players, left the NFL and became movie and TV starts. Doesn't happen anymore shoutout to Thomas Jones, and honestly it didn't happen TOO much back in the day but Weathers was the biggest. Nuff respect to Fred Dryer and Fred the Hammer and even John Amos but Weathers was the one that the public knew so much more so from the movies.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

PLOT TWIST: Kingsbury seems to have decided to go back on the being the Raiders OC and seems to be heading to Washington to be a Commie

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

It was announced that the Eagles will play in Brazil on the opening weekend of the 2024 season against an opponent to be named.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    It was announced that the Eagles will play in Brazil on the opening weekend of the 2024 season against an opponent to be named.
    Super Bowl winner, maybe?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.