Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Yeah, just about EVERYONE who donned the deerstalker did a version of Hound. Rathbone did it, Cushing did it, Brett did it, Tom Baker (Doctor #4) did it, even Cumberbatch did a version. I’ve listened to a radio version, and I’m sure other actors have done so as well.
    Plenty. Richard Roxburgh, Ian Richardson, Stewart Granger... IMDB lists at least 20 adaptations.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Years ago my sister and I went to the Shubert Theater in Chicago to see a revival of the Sherlock Holmes play (I believe the one William Gillette made famous). Playing Sherlock Holmes was Leonard Nimoy with Alan Sues (yes, the Laugh In Alan Sues) playing Professor Moriarty. To tell the truth Sues upstaged Nimoy! I used to have the program to the show saved somewhere but probably lost it. Some years later, the stage play Dracula was playing in the same theater. Frank Langella had made a big splash on Broadway and then later would be in the movie. But touring with the play and playing Dracula was.....Jeremy Brett! Unfortunately, he took ill and his understudy took his place. It was an actor named David Dukes. Then when PBS started showing his Sherlock Holmes series my sister and I said, there's that fellow that was going to be Dracula! The only other movie I had seen him in was My Fair Lady in the part of Freddy.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 12-01-2020 at 10:10 PM.

First, a nice bit of art I just posted in the “who’s more iconic” thread...

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Ah, yes, the only serious contender to challenge Holmes and Watson as the worst Sherlock Holmes film of all time.
    And second, now that the elephant in the room has been mentioned...

What did everyone think of Holmes & Watson?
    Anyone actually like it?

I gotta admit, when I heard about it I actually had some hope. Ferrell and Reilly have great chemistry. Taladega Nights and Step Brothers we’re harmless dumb fun and entertaining.
    And then I started seeing the trailers...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    First, a nice bit of art I just posted in the “who’s more iconic” thread...

Anyone actually like it?

I gotta admit, when I heard about it I actually had some hope. Ferrell and Reilly have great chemistry. Taladega Nights and Step Brothers we’re harmless dumb fun and entertaining.
    A coworker who likes Will Ferrell had seen it and said it was dopey as hell. Make of that what you will, folks.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Anyone actually like it?

I saw it. I loathed it. Cards on the table before I start: I am not a Will Ferrel fan. I find his sociopathic man-child shtick unfunny and irritating. So I went into this film with low expectations, but this film still failed to achieve them.

It's a broad parody, which is always a dangerous strategy. Parody works best (IMO) when it has a scalpel like precision, deftly identifying the small quirks, idiosyncrasies and idiocies of a work and lampooning them. This was so broad, and lacking any connection to the Holmes canon, that it feels like the writers did no more than skim the Wikipedia article to identify the names of the major characters.

Most of the so-called 'jokes' either aren't funny to start with, fall completely flat, or were so *******phed that they lost all humour before the punchline arrived. Unfortunately the trailer probably contained the 'funniest' parts of the film.

But the real tragedy is that it actually wastes some brilliant casting. Ralph Fiennes as Moriarty, and Rob Brydon as Lestrade would be excellent choices in a straight Holmes adaptation, but here they are pearls sinking into a cesspit.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

Will Ferrell's name alone being attached to anything is enough to make me avoid it like the plague.

I saw it. I loathed it. Cards on the table before I start: I am not a Will Ferrel fan. I find his sociopathic man-child shtick unfunny and irritating. So I went into this film with low expectations, but this film still failed to achieve them.

It's a broad parody, which is always a dangerous strategy. Parody works best (IMO) when it has a scalpel like precision, deftly identifying the small quirks, idiosyncrasies and idiocies of a work and lampooning them. This was so broad, and lacking any connection to the Holmes canon, that it feels like the writers did no more than skim the Wikipedia article to identify the names of the major characters.

Most of the so-called 'jokes' either aren't funny to start with, fall completely flat, or were so *******phed that they lost all humour before the punchline arrived. Unfortunately the trailer probably contained the 'funniest' parts of the film.

But the real tragedy is that it actually wastes some brilliant casting. Ralph Fiennes as Moriarty, and Rob Brydon as Lestrade would be excellent choices in a straight Holmes adaptation, but here they are pearls sinking into a cesspit.
    I really agree w. this. Parody is something that needs to be done well.
    I’ve had arguments w. younger posters at different sites who lump movies like Meet The Spartans, Epic Movie, and Vampires Suck w. movies like Blazing Saddles, Airplane!, and Young Frankenstein.

No one seems to have put any effort (or research as you mentioned) into this movie whatsoever which is a shame. And yeah, a couple of great casting choices wasted here.

Time to be honest though...
    At the start of the movie where young Holmes snaps and turns off his emotions, as the he begins to “un-cry” it felt like the actor was chanelling his inner Damien w. the face he was making, which just caused me to burst out laughing.

Other than that though, awful awful movie.

Time to be honest though...
    At the start of the movie where young Holmes snaps and turns off his emotions, as the he begins to “un-cry” it felt like the actor was chanelling his inner Damien w. the face he was making, which just caused me to burst out laughing.

Other than that though, awful awful movie.
    I didn't even get to see that scene. The international version starts with Watson planning on committing suicide and standing on a rooftop. Holmes sees him and, worried that Watson will land on his giant marrow and smash it, starts signalling to him over ways that he can kill himself. Watson misinterprets these gestures and Holmes attempting to talk him down.

Oh wow, the one good scene and that’s the one they cut?

Boisterously Confused

After the retch-fest reactions to Holmes and Watson, I almost hesitate to ask, but what's the prevailing attitude toward Mr. Holmes?

Image.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    After the retch-fest reactions to Holmes and Watson, I almost hesitate to ask, but what's the prevailing attitude toward Mr. Holmes?

Image.jpg
    Personally, I enjoyed it.

I especially liked the touch of showing how Holmes' gift for deduction could unwittingly cause pain for others.

Yeah I really dig it. Very enjoyable!

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    We enjoyed it, but it took us a little by surprise. I kind of thought there would be more of a detective story, but that's on me.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    Years ago my sister and I went to the Shubert Theater in Chicago to see a revival of the Sherlock Holmes play (I believe the one William Gillette made famous). Playing Sherlock Holmes was Leonard Nimoy with Alan Sues (yes, the Laugh In Alan Sues) playing Professor Moriarty. To tell the truth Sues upstaged Nimoy! I used to have the program to the show saved somewhere but probably lost it. Some years later, the stage play Dracula was playing in the same theater. Frank Langella had made a big splash on Broadway and then later would be in the movie. But touring with the play and playing Dracula was.....Jeremy Brett! Unfortunately, he took ill and his understudy took his place. It was an actor named David Dukes. Then when PBS started showing his Sherlock Holmes series my sister and I said, there's that fellow that was going to be Dracula! The only other movie I had seen him in was My Fair Lady in the part of Freddy.
    Those sort of things make for great memories, don't they?

Boisterously Confused

Personally, I enjoyed it.

I especially liked the touch of showing how Holmes' gift for deduction could unwittingly cause pain for others.
    Yeah I really dig it. Very enjoyable!
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hatcher View Post
    We enjoyed it, but it took us a little by surprise. I kind of thought there would be more of a detective story, but that's on me.
    I liked it too. Like Greg Hatcher said, it wasn't quite what I anticipated, but I thought it a good film that didn't have to remake or deconstruct The Great Detective.