Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Watched the Jeremy Brett "Blue Carbuncle" Sherlock Holmes episode with my director friend. Like all theatre companies, they look at in wondering if they could use that story for their Christmas show. I wasn't convinced. I don't really think it's a Christmas case; at-least not enough to justify doing it as a Christmas show. To my understanding, the REASON (in my mind) the story is set at Christmas is just so Arthur Conan Doyle could justifiably have a 'poorer person' with a goose, which is the animal big enough to swallow a jewel. Or am I being too cynical? In my mind I see no reason you couldn't set a bunch of Holmes at Christmas, since the actual 'Christmas' story here is somewhat immaterial to the case (why would it matter if you just shove a different story in at Christmas)???
    Not to anger Linus Van Pelt, but do Christmas shows really need to be about Christmas? I think these days, it's more just about putting on a show at that time of year.

Anyway, I think of "The Blue Carbuncle" as a Christmas story. If they ever do a movie that's a proper adaptation of the short stories, then I'd like it to include this story plus a few others. The movie could have one story in spring, one in summer, one in fall and one in winter. I'd much rather they did that than trying to stretch out one short story for a whole movie or adapt the novellas.

All of the novellas are padded with content which has little of Holmes in it. A STUDY IN SCARLET is a good introduction to the consulting detective, but then it goes on this flashback story and takes a long time before it returns to Holmes and Watson. The other novellas are even worse for this kind of padding. The short stories are where it's at for me.

The Heston Holmes was filmed, though not with Jeremy Brett. It's called CRUCIFER OF BLOOD and is a loose adaptation of The Sign of Four.

Turns out the whole thing is up on YouTube.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Mighty Member

It's a shame that Ben Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman aren't going to do any more of Sherlock. I thought the original plan was to do a season every 2 years. But it seems by Season 3 both actors were really busy. I don't understand why an actor commits to a show and then books their schedule with 18 other movies/shows making it impossible to do the 2 year thing.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hatcher View Post
    The Heston Holmes was filmed, though not with Jeremy Brett. It's called CRUCIFER OF BLOOD and is a loose adaptation of The Sign of Four.

Turns out the whole thing is up on YouTube.
    Yes, you're quite right, that was the title. Awesome that this exists, though really you can never replicate the theatre experience...and with the greatest Holmes of them all playing Watson! Not to mention half choking on the dry ice fumes...

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Not to anger Linus Van Pelt, but do Christmas shows really need to be about Christmas? I think these days, it's more just about putting on a show at that time of year.

Anyway, I think of "The Blue Carbuncle" as a Christmas story. If they ever do a movie that's a proper adaptation of the short stories, then I'd like it to include this story plus a few others. The movie could have one story in spring, one in summer, one in fall and one in winter. I'd much rather they did that than trying to stretch out one short story for a whole movie or adapt the novellas.

All of the novellas are padded with content which has little of Holmes in it. A STUDY IN SCARLET is a good introduction to the consulting detective, but then it goes on thttps://community.cbr.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5646440his flashback story and takes a long time before it returns to Holmes and Watson. The other novellas are even worse for this kind of padding. The short stories are where it's at for me.
    I thought it was just me. I too am a bit put off by the extended digressions about events and characters I really don't care about save as foils for Holmes. So yeah, the short stories made it for me too.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    It's a shame that Ben Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman aren't going to do any more of Sherlock. I thought the original plan was to do a season every 2 years. But it seems by Season 3 both actors were really busy. I don't understand why an actor commits to a show and then books their schedule with 18 other movies/shows making it impossible to do the 2 year thing.
    Well, you say that like it's a sure thing. Actors are basically freelancers. Working freelancers generally don't turn down jobs. Even when they easily could. It becomes habit.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

From a narrative point of view, no. From a marketing point of view, yes. People prefer Christmas shows at Christmas.

LOVE this idea, across the seasons. That's super cool!

All of the novellas are padded with content which has little of Holmes in it. A STUDY IN SCARLET is a good introduction to the consulting detective, but then it goes on this flashback story and takes a long time before it returns to Holmes and Watson. The other novellas are even worse for this kind of padding. The short stories are where it's at for me.
    I agree, I prefer the novellas. One of my favourite is "the Dancing Men"; because it actually gives you all the clues to solve it.

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    Well... I'm not a massive fan of either as a person (from what I've heard) BUT... when they signed up they had no idea this would lead them both to becoming huge stars, where they are having to juggle countless movies and TV deals along with this. I don't think they went in intending to not continue one season every two years, but life had other plans. We can't blame them for capitalising on their success, surely?

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    The greatest theatre experience of my life, (plays, not movies), was...I don't recall what they called it, but it was The Sign of Four, with, get this, Jeremy Brett as Watson, Charlton Heston as Holmes, and Dwight Shultz, (The A-Team and STTNG) as someone....Brett's fake stache fell off halfway through and he just soldiered on like the pro he is. Heston was fine as Holmes, but suffered in comparison to Brett---very tall guy though, he tried to lie on a couch for a scene, but was taller than it was long, you just never got how tall he was on TV. Of course I was a kid, all adults were probably tall to me. Nice river chase scene too, with the dry ice fog covering the front four rows, (my mom and I were in the front row).
    This all sounds WONDERFUL!!!
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

I thought it was just me. I too am a bit put off by the extended digressions about events and characters I really don't care about save as foils for Holmes. So yeah, the short stories made it for me too.
    The other three novels are a bit ropy, but surely no one doubts the power of The Hound of the Baskervilles, and that is a tale that could not be told as a short story.

Extraordinary Member

From a narrative point of view, no. From a marketing point of view, yes. People prefer Christmas shows at Christmas.

LOVE this idea, across the seasons. That's super cool!

I agree, I prefer the novellas. One of my favourite is "the Dancing Men"; because it actually gives you all the clues to solve it.

Well... I'm not a massive fan of either as a person (from what I've heard) BUT... when they signed up they had no idea this would lead them both to becoming huge stars, where they are having to juggle countless movies and TV deals along with this. I don't think they went in intending to not continue one season every two years, but life had other plans. We can't blame them for capitalising on their success, surely?

This all sounds WONDERFUL!!!
    It was wonderful. Good theatre can be so fun. This was probably my best play experience, and I've seen some great ones, Tom Baker as Holmes in London one winter night, I think that was basically The Sign of Four as well. I went because I loved Holmes and I was a fan of the Tom Baker Doctor Who. Also, though not Holmes related, I saw Richard Harris, Robert Goulet, and Vanessa Redgrave in Camelot. Even as a little kid, I didn't really like musicals, but that was just so very good. Still not as good as Crucible.

It was wonderful. Good theatre can be so fun. This was probably my best play experience, and I've seen some great ones, Tom Baker as Holmes in London one winter night, I think that was basically The Sign of Four as well. I went because I loved Holmes and I was a fan of the Tom Baker Doctor Who. Also, though not Holmes related, I saw Richard Harris, Robert Goulet, and Vanessa Redgrave in Camelot. Even as a little kid, I didn't really like musicals, but that was just so very good. Still not as good as Crucible.
    Oh I know, I'm an actor I've gotten to do two Holmes plays (never Holmes, boo). But both made up stories (both farces). Was so much fun, love me some Sherlock.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

Oh I know, I'm an actor I've gotten to do two Holmes plays (never Holmes, boo). But both made up stories (both farces). Was so much fun, love me some Sherlock.
    Sounds like a blast. I wish there was more theatre experiences out there, especially in places outside the big centers. And I wish people would just go to them and find out how different it is from the movies, and how great it can truly be.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Mike Grell.

MikeGrellSherlock.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    I like it a lot!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    The other three novels are a bit ropy, but surely no one doubts the power of The Hound of the Baskervilles, and that is a tale that could not be told as a short story.
    True, Hound was IMO the best of the long form stories. Beautifully told and ominous.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    Pretty cool!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!