Page 21 of 24 FirstFirst ... 111718192021222324 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    The version of Philo Vance in the movies, or the truly annoying version of Philo Vance in the novels themselves?
    The film version, especially as played by William Powell. As the first Vance/Powell film had come out in in 1929, two years before The Speckled Band, this may not be coincidental.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    Just finished reading A Three Book Problem, the new Sherlock Holmes Bookshop mystery by Vicki Delany yesterday.
    Is this a good series? I have the first book sitting in my 'to-be-read' pile but I haven't got around to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Or the know it all version from the radio series?
    Never heard the Philo Vance version from radio.

I have read the first few novels, and the written one is definitely a pretentious know-it-all!

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Is this a good series? I have the first book sitting in my 'to-be-read' pile but I haven't got around to it yet.
    My Mom has read them and liked them.

But I'm assuming she's a bit older than you are . . .

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Never heard the Philo Vance version from radio.

I have read the first few novels, and the written one is definitely a pretentious know-it-all!
    Search for the Vintage Radio app. Philo Vance is under the Crime-Detective section.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

It's a cozy series so it isn't overly dark besides the murder itself. But that being said, it has been pretty entertaining. Some books are better than others but I didn't dislike any of the books in the series.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    It's a cozy series so it isn't overly dark besides the murder itself. But that being said, it has been pretty entertaining. Some books are better than others but I didn't dislike any of the books in the series.
    Cool. Thanks. I'll move it up my stack.

Astonishing Member

Michael Dirda, book critic for the Washington Post and a dedicated Holmes enthusiast, has a report on the annual meeting of the Baker Street Irregulars. which was held in NYC a couple of weeks ago:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books...-ultimate-fan/

I was especially interested to learn that the banquet's program was illustrated by Frank Cho!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    Michael Dirda, book critic for the Washington Post and a dedicated Holmes enthusiast, has a report on the annual meeting of the Baker Street Irregulars. which was held in NYC a couple of weeks ago:

I was especially interested to learn that the banquet's program was illustrated by Frank Cho!
    Sounds like something I'd love to attend someday but despite my love of Holmes, I'd likely still be out of my depth.

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post

It is not the only work of this kind that Frank Cho does. He is a member of the National Capital Pathans--the Baltimore/Washington chapter of the Burroughs Bibliophiles-- and he and fellow member and comics artist Mark Wheatley supply the covers to the club's bi-monthly journal.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

George Perez Sketch.

PerezHolmes.jpg
    Last edited by signalman112; 05-13-2022 at 01:21 AM.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Finally saw ENOLA HOLMES on Netflix. It was decent, B-.
    Henry Cavill who is dour and wooden as Superman is a fine Sherlock Holmes.
    Anyway I rather see Cavill return as Sherlock then see him as Clark again.

CavillBrown.jpg

This gave me a chuckle!

AAAA1st34.jpg

I just watched a very entertaining 1961 noir thriller called Cash on Demand. I mention it here because it stars Peter Cushing and Andre Morrell, who had starred as Holmes and Watson in the 1959 film version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. Both films were made by Hammer.

Extraordinary Member

It is not the only work of this kind that Frank Cho does. He is a member of the National Capital Pathans--the Baltimore/Washington chapter of the Burroughs Bibliophiles-- and he and fellow member and comics artist Mark Wheatley supply the covers to the club's bi-monthly journal.
    Historically, comic book artists have supplied covers to a lot of non-comic book stuff. Wally Wood for example did a bunch of pulp sci-fi novel and magazine covers. Wood even supplied a cover for one of my father's books, I don't recall which, (my father was a minor contemporary of the big name sci-fi novels from the 50s through the 70s, though he's been published in about 80 languages and had fans writing him up to his passing, so he wasn't entirely minor, also winning some awards, mostly in the mystery novela categories. Anyway, it was a typical Wally Wood cover).

I guess just doing comic books doesn't always pay all the bills.