Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    Glad to have introduced the Maestro to something new. And glad you liked it. I think it's a shame it never went to series.
    My wife said the same. She adored it.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

I thought every Holmesian crossover had been done, but this arrived today....

And this is an entertaining volume for those of you that also enjoy this kind of tomfoolery.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Pour one out for Christpher Plummer, one of my favorite Sherlocks. R.I.P.

Recently found myself thinking about Moriarty, who is a huge part of the Holmes mythos, despite only having a small presence in the canon.

But I actually captured my thoughts was Moriarty's appearance. Doyle gives us a very particular, and quite frankly peculiar, physical description of the Napoleon of Crime:

He was extremely tall and thin, his forehead domed out in a white curve, and his two eyes were deeply sunken in his head. He was clean-shaven, pale, and ascetic-looking, retaining something of the professor in his features. His shoulders were rounded from much study, and his face protrudes forward, and was for ever slowly oscillating from side to side in a curiously reptilian fashion.
    Now Moriarty has been played many actors--good, bad and indifferent--but none of them have ever matched that description. Quite frankly, I think it would be extremely difficult to find an actor who looked like that. The only screen Moriarty I can think of who comes even close is John Huston in Sherlock Holmes in New York. He was tall (if not thin), has prominent domed forehead, greying hair, and pale-ish skin.

What do others think? Are there any other screen Moriartys who look like Moriarty?

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Eric Porter from the Brett series. Dude just OOZED evil!

Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

In less yellow:

Edit: true, it’s not from a Sherlock Holmes’ video, but he would make a perfect Moriarty, wouldn’t he?
    Last edited by Zelena; 03-15-2021 at 05:30 AM.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

I would not be at all surprised if Burns was based on the Paget Moriarty.

But otherwise, I am agreed that Eric Porter is the best. I do think Jonathan Pryce would have made a meal of it, given the chance.

Last edited by Greg Hatcher; 03-15-2021 at 09:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Eric Porter from the Brett series. Dude just OOZED evil!

Of course! (slaps forehead)

It's been more than a decade since I last watched all of the Brett series. I'm well overdue for a re-watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Hatcher View Post
    But otherwise, I am agreed that Eric Porter is the best. I do think Jonathan Pryce would have made a meal of it, given the chance.
    Pryce would make an excellent Moriarty.

But while he has yet to play the Napoleon of Crime, he has played Holmes in the BBC's 2007 Sherlock Holmes and the Baker Street Irregulars. Pryce says he took the part primarily because Holmes was a role he had always wanted to play.

You all may or may not be aware of this but Neil Gaiman's wonderful A Study In Emerald has been adapted for comics, and it's terrific.

Boisterously Confused

Heads up for those who love History's Greatest Consulting Dectective: The Irregulars is SINO dreck. Would have been okay had they made the show its own thing, but linking the story to 221B as a hook for viewers just ruins it for me.

Extraordinary Member

Peter Cushing would have been great as Moriarty IMO. His look in Star Wars was dead on Moriarty IMO.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Heads up for those who love History's Greatest Consulting Dectective: The Irregulars is SINO dreck. Would have been okay had they made the show its own thing, but linking the story to 221B as a hook for viewers just ruins it for me.
    Thanks for the heads up. I had been curious about that show.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Peter Cushing would have been great as Moriarty IMO. His look in Star Wars was dead on Moriarty IMO.
    Yeah, you're right! Pretty ironic since Cushing played Holmes back in the 1960's.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Anyone ever watch the Sherlock Holmes cartoon?

I only ever caught a few here and there.
    I remember enjoying them, actually.
    First. I can't believe I've missed this thread all this time.

Second, I've never heard of this cartoon series. I can't imagine that it was a great work of art but considering I have The Great Mouse Detective on DVD, I don't see why I wouldn't check this one out if I can.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    I binge watched six seasons of Elementary recently...I wouldn’t rate it as super top rate...but I did enjoy it a lot.
    When the show was originally announced, I was not all that keen on a female Watson but I ended up a big supporter of the show. I found it great.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.