Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I don't know how many of you here watch anime, but a series I recently started, called Moriarty the Patriot focuses on the early years of the arch enemy of Sherlock Holmes. Despite being a noble, Moriarty seeks to topple British nobility which he sees as unfair to the lower classes, and is not above resorting to violence to achieve his goals. I've watched a couple of episodes and found it intriguing. The show is currently airing on Funimation.

Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 04-24-2021 at 02:54 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

That is a seriously pretty boy Moriarty.

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    That is a seriously pretty boy Moriarty.
    HAHAHA! That's the way things work in anime, my friend!

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Pencil drawing by Neal Adams of Brett and Rathbone.

AdamsHolmes.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post

AdamsHolmes.jpg
    Nice work on that!
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

AdamsHolmes.jpg
    Damn! That is SO cool!

Just found out about this e-book scheduled for release next Wednesday:

Here's the plot (from Amazon): Seven years after Dracula's apparent demise at the hands of Jonathan Harker and his five compatriots in the forests of the Carpathian Mountains, Sherlock Holmes is asked by Mina Harker to help track down what she believes is the returning vampire before he takes his revenge. But she may be too late. Can Sherlock and Dr. Watson find the lair of Dracula located somewhere in Victorian London before vengeance is served.

Sounds interesting! I'll be sure to download it when it comes out!

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Damn! That is SO cool!

Just found out about this e-book scheduled for release next Wednesday:

Here's the plot (from Amazon): Seven years after Dracula's apparent demise at the hands of Jonathan Harker and his five compatriots in the forests of the Carpathian Mountains, Sherlock Holmes is asked by Mina Harker to help track down what she believes is the returning vampire before he takes his revenge. But she may be too late. Can Sherlock and Dr. Watson find the lair of Dracula located somewhere in Victorian London before vengeance is served.

Sounds interesting! I'll be sure to download it when it comes out!
    I hope you'll enjoy it. I just can't quite deal with magic in Holmes world.

Horror? Fine. The supernatural? Nah.

Holmes vs. Dracula is one of those natural crossovers: nearly as common as Holmes vs. Jack the Ripper.

Off the top of my head there is Fred Saberhagen's The Holmes-Dracula File, Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula; or, The Adventures of the Sanguinary Count by Loren D. Estlemen, the short story "Red Sunset" by Bob Madisen, Caliber Comics' Scarlet by Gaslight and Victorian Undead II: Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula from DC's Wildstorm imprint. and I am certain there are many others.

While many of these are entertaining, they are all pretty impossibly to reconcile with the canon, as Holmes categorically denies the existence of vampires in "The Sussex Vampire".

I need this crossover ASAP.

HolmesChimp.jpg

I need this crossover ASAP.

HolmesChimp.jpg
    That's not real is it?
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke View Post
    That's not real is it?
    No. It's a fan site.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Sketch by Steve Rude.

HolmesRude.jpg

Watched the Jeremy Brett "Blue Carbuncle" Sherlock Holmes episode with my director friend. Like all theatre companies, they look at in wondering if they could use that story for their Christmas show. I wasn't convinced. I don't really think it's a Christmas case; at-least not enough to justify doing it as a Christmas show. To my understanding, the REASON (in my mind) the story is set at Christmas is just so Arthur Conan Doyle could justifiably have a 'poorer person' with a goose, which is the animal big enough to swallow a jewel. Or am I being too cynical? In my mind I see no reason you couldn't set a bunch of Holmes at Christmas, since the actual 'Christmas' story here is somewhat immaterial to the case (why would it matter if you just shove a different story in at Christmas)???
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kieran_Frost View Post
    Watched the Jeremy Brett "Blue Carbuncle" Sherlock Holmes episode with my director friend. Like all theatre companies, they look at in wondering if they could use that story for their Christmas show. I wasn't convinced. I don't really think it's a Christmas case; at-least not enough to justify doing it as a Christmas show. To my understanding, the REASON (in my mind) the story is set at Christmas is just so Arthur Conan Doyle could justifiably have a 'poorer person' with a goose, which is the animal big enough to swallow a jewel. Or am I being too cynical? In my mind I see no reason you couldn't set a bunch of Holmes at Christmas, since the actual 'Christmas' story here is somewhat immaterial to the case (why would it matter if you just shove a different story in at Christmas)???
    The greatest theatre experience of my life, (plays, not movies), was...I don't recall what they called it, but it was The Sign of Four, with, get this, Jeremy Brett as Watson, Charlton Heston as Holmes, and Dwight Shultz, (The A-Team and STTNG) as someone....Brett's fake stache fell off halfway through and he just soldiered on like the pro he is. Heston was fine as Holmes, but suffered in comparison to Brett---very tall guy though, he tried to lie on a couch for a scene, but was taller than it was long, you just never got how tall he was on TV. Of course I was a kid, all adults were probably tall to me. Nice river chase scene too, with the dry ice fog covering the front four rows, (my mom and I were in the front row). Very fun for a kid like I was, I highly recommend going to plays, especially if you live in an area where there's good theatre like NY or LA.

Astonishing Member

Jeremy Brett was 6' 1" tall, and Charlton Heston was 6' 3". I can easily imagine him as Holmes.