Page 2 of 24 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Yes it was clever the way they transferred so much of the source material in a way that made sense in modern times, and I loved the New York setting. Arguably the central Holmes/ Watson partnership was better balanced than is often the case.

It’s first modern take on Holmes I’ve seen...will have to give Sherlock a try sometime.
    I think you’ll enjoy Sherlock. Even as someone who prefers Holmes stories set in Victorian London, I thought this show was great.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by JackDaw View Post
    Yes it was clever the way they transferred so much of the source material in a way that made sense in modern times, and I loved the New York setting. Arguably the central Holmes/ Watson partnership was better balanced than is often the case.

It’s first modern take on Holmes I’ve seen...will have to give Sherlock a try sometime.
    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I think you’ll enjoy Sherlock. Even as someone who prefers Holmes stories set in Victorian London, I thought this show was great.
    Yeah, totally give it a shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    Anyone ever watch the Sherlock Holmes cartoon?

I only ever caught a few here and there.
    I remember enjoying them, actually.
    I loved this cartoon
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Anyone ever watch the Sherlock Holmes cartoon?

I only ever caught a few here and there.
    I remember enjoying them, actually.
    I have the DVD set and am slowly working my way through. I'm really enjoying it, and it is obvious that the writers know - and love - the original stories.

Stumbled onto this at Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago:

An early 60's TV show starring Peter Cushing as Holmes and Nigel Stock as Watson. It was said that only five episodes of this show survived, but, they were good ones:

The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Sign of Four
    The Blue Carbuncle
    A Study in Scarlet
    The Boscombe Valley Mystery

Cushing, like Brett, Rathbone, Lee, Cumberbatch and RDJ brought his own unique take on the legendary sleuth and it was most enjoyable. I don't know if this collection is still in print or not, but, if you can find it, by all means, buy it.

^^^never heard of that one. Excellent!

Does anyone else think ‘Larry Hagman’ when they think of Sherlock?

^^^never heard of that one. Excellent!

Does anyone else think ‘Larry Hagman’ when they think of Sherlock?
    Nope, not particularly. He'll always be JR Ewing to me.

Extraordinary Member

Stumbled onto this at Barnes & Noble a couple of years ago:

An early 60's TV show starring Peter Cushing as Holmes and Nigel Stock as Watson. It was said that only five episodes of this show survived, but, they were good ones:

The Hound of the Baskervilles
    The Sign of Four
    The Blue Carbuncle
    A Study in Scarlet
    The Boscombe Valley Mystery

Cushing, like Brett, Rathbone, Lee, Cumberbatch and RDJ brought his own unique take on the legendary sleuth and it was most enjoyable. I don't know if this collection is still in print or not, but, if you can find it, by all means, buy it.
    He's fairly short, right? But wow, he has the look in that pic.

And to me, he''ll always be Major Tony Nelson.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    He wasn't that short. He was 1.82 m (or 5'11 1/2" in the old money). In my head, Holmes should be over 6', but I wont quibble over half an inch for an actor of Cushing's calibre.

I have that collection, but I haven't got around to watching it yet (I seem to be accumulating DVDs faster than I can watch them), but I did enjoy his portrayal of Holmes in the 1959 The Hound of the Baskervilles movie (which has Christopher Lee as Sir Henry baskerville).

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by foxley View Post
    He wasn't that short. He was 1.82 m (or 5'11 1/2" in the old money). In my head, Holmes should be over 6', but I wont quibble over half an inch for an actor of Cushing's calibre.

I have that collection, but I haven't got around to watching it yet (I seem to be accumulating DVDs faster than I can watch them), but I did enjoy his portrayal of Holmes in the 1959 The Hound of the Baskervilles movie (which has Christopher Lee as Sir Henry baskerville).
    Huh, thought he looked short. But now I realize I'm really only used to seeing him standing next to Dave Prowse...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Peter Cushing was 5' 11.5" (181.6 cm) tall, according to IMDB. I've never seen those TV episodes, but several times I've watched his Holmes in the 1959 movie version of The Hound of the Baskervilles. (Christopher Lee played Sir Henry Baskerville, and as you might guess from that pairing it was in fact a filme from the Hammer Films studio, directed by Terrence Fisher.) I rather enjoy this film, which was intended to be the first in a series of Holmes films starring Cushing, but since it did poorly at the box ofice Hammer went back to horror.

An actor who was "right" for Holmes physically was the 6' 2" (188 cm) Nicol Williamson, who played him in the 1976 film The Seven-Per-Cent Solution. Williamson played Holmes as quite a skilled athlete in fencing and tennis. In the film's climax, Holmes bests the villain in a sword fight atop a moving train!

Last edited by seismic-2; 11-26-2020 at 05:07 AM.

^^^it was a rhetorical question.
    NObody thinks of Larry Hagman when they think of Sherlock.

And to me, he''ll always be Major Tony Nelson.
    ^^^Yeah I grew up on Maj. Nelson. Seeing him all evil on Dallas used to freak me out!

Wasn’t he on Nip/Tuck for a few seasons?

I’ve watched that myself and thought it was brilliant.

Astonishing Member

The 6' 1" Robert Stephens starred in Billy Wilder's 1970 film The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes.

Christopher Lee played a condescending Mycroft splendidly.