Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    I actually only really thought the Gibbon one was worthwhile for the Hunted storyline. The Vulture one was really pointless/boring in my opinion. We could have had that issue explained in a few panels. The Black Cat one was meh. I actually like LR more than HU overall so far, though I think the Gibbon was the best single issue overall.
    I really liked the one with Felicia, as well as Gibbon. I agree about Vulture though.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really liked the one with Felicia, as well as Gibbon. I agree about Vulture though.
    *small voice* I liked the Vulture .HU with Arcade.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    *small voice* I liked the Vulture .HU with Arcade.
    Well, I liked Arcade in said issue .

Quote Originally Posted by Dzika_Sowa View Post
    If there is a proper story, addressing OMD in the future (and last remains is just planting seeds for it), it's going to be a long and painful waiting period for many of us...
    If people can get through the entirety of Dan Slott run, or Hickman's world building Secret War or the build up of Secret Empire run then i don't see the issue. Or if they can't then don't need to read it and look at something else. That simple.

The HU issues from Hunted added something to the stories. If I recall correctly they were one shots focusing on each villain and their motives or something to that extent. LR issues add absolutely nothing to the story at this point because they are focusing on characters that shouldn’t even be in the story to begin with. Last Remains would work much better and move at a smoother pace if the Sin eater, Morlun and the Order of the Web were removed.

I understand the LR issues being looked at as “bonus” issues or side stories. However why not make the LR issues primarily focus on Strange, MJ and maybe even throw in Felicia. Have them carry that series and leave the main story to Spider-man/Kindred. There’s never an excuse for a Story not progressing in some way shape or form issue after issue. People are spending money on these things....

Unfortunately with the last two issues of ASM being 2 minute reads in total and LR not having an answers as well, we aren’t getting our money’s worth at the moment.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    If people can get through the entirety of Dan Slott run, or Hickman's world building Secret War or the build up of Secret Empire run then i don't see the issue. Or if they can't then don't need to read it and look at something else. That simple.
    It is not that simple. I could not get through the Dan Slott run for a number of reasons. One of those reasons was the realization that OMD is going nowhere until there was a new writer on the book. If OMD is not erased now, then when? ASM 1000? The next writer? Even those possibilities are not guaranteed. I am one of those who will offer a final opinion and then simply walk away and not come back. There are other things that are also entertaining then just Spider-Man. The Steelers are 10-0 and hockey season is starting in January and that is a start. I understand why they did OMD/BND ( even though I hated it). It was because they were afraid of an adult Peter and the possibility of losing money. But because of the success of Miles that no longer applies. OMD goes or I go. It is THAT simple.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    It is not that simple. I could not get through the Dan Slott run for a number of reasons. One of those reasons was the realization that OMD is going nowhere until there was a new writer on the book. If OMD is not erased now, then when? ASM 1000? The next writer? Even those possibilities are not guaranteed. I am one of those who will offer a final opinion and then simply walk away and not come back. There are other things that are also entertaining then just Spider-Man. The Steelers are 10-0 and hockey season is starting in January and that is a start. I understand why they did OMD/BND ( even though I hated it). It was because they were afraid of an adult Peter and the possibility of losing money. But because of the success of Miles that no longer applies. OMD goes or I go. It is THAT simple.
    OMD won’t go.
    It’ll be addressed. To erase it now is to erase the years that came after, which is a big gripe with OMD. The best way is to address it, have Peter face the consequences of it and move forward.

Quote Originally Posted by your_name_here View Post
    OMD won’t go.
    It’ll be addressed. To erase it now is to erase the years that came after, which is a big gripe with OMD. The best way is to address it, have Peter face the consequences of it and move forward.
    In a sense didn’t OMD kind of erase the years before it as well though? Marvel could care less about being faithful or continuity. If they believe it makes financial sense they will do it.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    I feel your pain. Lol

OMD/BND to me, shows how out of touch Marvel is with their fanbase. The purpose essentially of BND/OMD was to have Peter/Spider-Man be younger. They felt the married approach aged him too fast and they wanted to appeal to their younger fanbase. My issue with this has always been....WHAT YOUNGER FANBASE?!?!? Where are this young kids collecting comics? Where is this mysterious young teen fanbase that Marvel keeps trying to appease?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RD155 View Post
    I feel your pain. Lol

OMD/BND to me, shows how out of touch Marvel is with their fanbase. The purpose essentially of BND/OMD was to have Peter/Spider-Man be younger. They felt the married approach aged him too fast and they wanted to appeal to their younger fanbase. My issue with this has always been....WHAT YOUNGER FANBASE?!?!? Where are this young kids collecting comics? Where is this mysterious young teen fanbase that Marvel keeps trying to appease?
    The joke is they don't even know what the teen base wants. I was a teenager when OMD dropped and it drove me from reading 616 for a full decade. I was a JMS-stan in my teen years.

Why do people think teenagers actually want to read only stuff about teenagers?

Why did a movie with a 40 year old Superhero like Black Panther make so much more money than any of the sprog-starring MCU Holland movies.

Astonishing Member

The joke is they don't even know what the teen base wants. I was a teenager when OMD dropped and it drove me from reading 616 for a full decade. I was a JMS-stan in my teen years.

Why did a movie with a 40 year old Superhero like Black Panther make so much more money than any of the sprog-starring MCU Holland movies.
    If a teenager wants a story about teenagers they can read Miles. There is one thing almost every one approves of and that is character growth, and keeping Peter the same or regressing him into a man-child is something that is the exact opposite of that. I am also sick of the Peter suffering themes. Does it mean he wins every time? Of course not. Many of the acknowledged Top 10 Spider-Man stories of all time deal with death But I am tired of him being a punching bag, called “A kid”, being comedy relief or being compared to “Charlie Brown” like Slott did. Even here you read about “Peter’s Sins” and who is doing the preaching? Harry. The same Harry who was a junkie ( not exactly Mother Theresa). Not to mention this: Did Harry save the planet from Doc Ock like Peter did? If not then his credibility is zero in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex85 View Post
    Ha, reading through this thread I have a feeling a lot of people would have been much happier if they skipped the .LR issues and just read 50-55.
    The last two ASM issues had people bitching about 'em too though.

I mean, Last Remains was stated to be able to be read with just the core issues, and .LR are side stories on tertiary characters only, like MJ/Norman, the order of the Web, and Sin-Eater. You get in the .LR exactly what was promised.
    It was also stated in some interview that they're essential reads.

Vulture one would look better if he did more during the story, but the only significant thing he did was lie about Gibbon's death, then he was only kinda around, then he made that "Savage Six", which, isn't doing much too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    "If people can put up with bad stuff I don't see why they can't put up with more bad stuff".

Ever heard of standards?

The HU issues from Hunted added something to the stories. If I recall correctly they were one shots focusing on each villain and their motives or something to that extent. LR issues add absolutely nothing to the story at this point because they are focusing on characters that shouldn’t even be in the story to begin with. Last Remains would work much better and move at a smoother pace if the Sin eater, Morlun and the Order of the Web were removed.
    To be fair, problem isn't even about what "should" or "shouldn't" be there, problem is that Spencer is not doing much with what he decided to use, we have all of those Spider-People around, and they're little more than plot devices, instead of being actual characters in a story.

After all, back with the HU issues, one could say that Gibbon "shouldn't" have gotten his own issue, but Spencer used him as an actual character there, and to show the tragedy of what's going on with that fucked up game, which is why that issue is so liked.

I feel your pain. Lol

The "pleasing younger fanbase" was always a bad excuse, Spidey was married for like 20 years, and while they did try to get rid of MJ before, fans bitched until she came back, so clearly there was a fanbase for the marriage, but fuckers who are higher ups have this toxic nostalgia of the times when Spidey wasn't married and seeing him married made them butthurt, it's pretty obvious lol.

It's an understandable belief since they can relate better with other teenager characters, usually, but yeah, it's delusional to think they only care about teenagers reading about other teenagers, it's like saying old people hate technology, which, while it can be true, how many of them are glued to cellphones again? Lol.

I feel like an interesting way of handling it would've been if the LR issues focused more on an individual member of the Order of the Web's perspective on Peter and the legacy of Spider-Man in contrast to what Kindred is doing to him in the main book while also re-emphasizing the characters to audiences (other than Miles, Gwen, and Jessica) in-case they can get new books.

I feel like an interesting way of handling it would've been if the LR issues focused more on an individual member of the Order of the Web's perspective on Peter and the legacy of Spider-Man in contrast to what Kindred is doing to him in the main book while also re-emphasizing the characters to audiences (other than Miles, Gwen, and Jessica) in-case they can get new books.
    Well, with five LR issues, and six Spider-People, it'd mean that either Gwen or Miles would get two issues so Anya and Julia have none .

And while an idea like that sounds cool, it'd probably feel repetitive after like, two issues, that even if Spencer bothered to give each Spider-Person a different voice, which I doubt he'd put that much effort.

Honestly though, it'd be nice if an actual story was being told with them, #53.LR is basically "Doctor Strange and some useless Spiders travel around some area that references stuff that leads up to OMD", the character getting an actual story out of this is Sin Eater, and like I said before, Spider-People and Morlum were just plot devices for his story to advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well, with five LR issues, and six Spider-People, it'd mean that either Gwen or Miles would get two issues so Anya and Julia have none .

And while an idea like that sounds cool, it'd probably feel repetitive after like, two issues, that even if Spencer bothered to give each Spider-Person a different voice, which I doubt he'd put that much effort.

Honestly though, it'd be nice if an actual story was being told with them, #53.LR is basically "Doctor Strange and some useless Spiders travel around some area that references stuff that leads up to OMD", the character getting an actual story out of this is Sin Eater, and like I said before, Spider-People and Morlum were just plot devices for his story to advance.
    Gwen and Miles probably wouldn't need one since they're the bigger names (even if Gwen doesn't have a book).

I guess how repetitive it is would depend on the story structure and narration, but considering the level of effort he's writing them with here, yeah, Spencer probably wouldn't bother. They really feel like something he was forced to include to some extent.