Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

I personally really liked the ending three issues. I think this event suffered from a build up to an epic challenge/battle, but a middle that was far more twisty and turny. I think the marketing should have definitely prepared people for the more goofy nature of the battles. I think it will all end up reading better in a collection. From the little I know of Saturnyne she seemed well characterised, and wasn't cheapened just because she wanted Brian. Overall I'd give this event a 7/10. It would undoubtedly have been a 9 if the middle felt more consistent to the first half and final quarter.

Overall, very excited for Reign of X!

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    I think this event has actually raised some really good concerns or at least some thoughts about Krako’s leadership. Xavier is its founder and father figure, Magneto might be their folklore like figure if you believe exodus, but Cyclops is a leader.

Against the will and express orders of their entire government he just lead a literal large army of mutants who all had to understand that if they die they will die permanently this time, but they followed with no hesitation. If I was the quite council right now I’d be a bit afraid of Scott Summers and the authority he holds.
    Well, they are trying to actively end the X-men... And yeah, it was always going to be something Hickman can and probably will explore- Cyclops has led mutantkind before, and can do again. And historically, there have been plenty of cases in which the top generals of a nation were a threat- or the government acted against or boycotted said general for fear they are a threat, even if they're not, shooting the country in the foot in the process (Hannibal Barca is probably the ultimate example of this).

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Despite liking the fact Emma voted against Shaw twice, I did agree with Xavier's data page at the end. The X-Men symbolise privilege among mutants and it is wise not to create an aristocracy group and bottom feeder group.
    You mean like a Quiet Council? Or Omega Mutants?

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    I freaking loved the ending. A lot of it was predicted here on the boards but the execution was amazing! Apocalypse was such a boss in the last few issues and I'm super bummed he and his family are on the shelf for now but I understand why. Professor X was clearly proud of Cyke for doing the right thing even if he couldn't condone it due to politics. The horde battle was LOTR levels of visual bad assery. Finale gets a 10/10.
    I kinda hate that Krakoa is already falling into the real-world trappings of politics where compromises always have to be made and politicians can't simply do the right thing. Still, it makes for some interesting story points so I'm excited to see what comes next!

Thank god it’s over.

Really enjoyed this ending. Ramped the stakes back up to where they should be and gave us some great moments for quite a few characters.

On the event as a whole I've gone back and forth. Creation was a brilliant start. After that we had the slow build-up gathering swords - I really enjoyed it at the time, the focus on sacrifice built the event up with some real pathos. But the tournament itself threw all that away imo. I don't have a problem with the 'wacky' challenges, they could have worked really well, but I think we needed to see more of the characters reacting to it, their frustration, for it to hit home properly. That said, I can read in their reactions even if it would have been better to have it explicit - so those middle issues were more of a wobble than a collapse.

Which left it to the ending this week to determine whether the event as a whole would be a hit or a miss for me - and I'm very happy it was a hit!

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I kinda hate that Krakoa is already falling into the real-world trappings of politics where compromises always have to be made and politicians can't simply do the right thing. Still, it makes for some interesting story points so I'm excited to see what comes next!
    I wouldn't say it was due to politics. It's not like they were worried the opposing political party would gain on them or something. They made that decision because they had the rest of the nation to think of.

This whole thing could have been done 6 issues they dragged it out for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    The council votes for the end of the "X-Men" name, as they should be the major autority in Krakoa.
    This is not how I read that data page at all.

I understood it to be saying (since it said it was from the week after Krakoan independence) that the Council had previously decided on the end of the X-Men name, and this was Scott bringing the X-men name back.

So — what happened to Betsy?

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    So — what happened to Betsy?
    She made a Mural.

I'm pretty happy with this event; lots of great moments to hang its hat on - I can immediately think of particularly strong moments for Storm, Wolverine, Jubilee, Magik and Gorgon. Even moreso, this is the first I've cared about Professor X and the whole Summers clan in what seems like forever. Cyclops was wonderfully written throughout the event, as was his rapport with Jean and Cable. And his interaction with Professor X and Magneto was a real high point. If Dawn Of X saw everyone on Krakoa - to me - acting a little bit like a Stepford X-Man at first, Cyclops and Jean leading a beautifully illustrated army of everyone's favorites to fight a demon horde is pretty much the X-Men that I want to read.

And kudos to the art team; not a single dud in the batch. All of the artists did a great job and maintained a decent consistency across titles, and I have to say Cassara in particular might have upped it a couple of notches during this event (there were honestly a couple of panels where I briefly thought of Jerome Opena).

I actually re-read the whole thing from the start last night before tackling the last three issues and it really does read quite well as a collection. It wasn't a perfect event, nor on par with DoX/HoX, but for a multi-writer, multi-artist endeavor it kept me looking forward to the comic store on Wednesdays and certainly ended on a solid note (I'd rather a saggy middle than a blown ending).

I do think the absence of Apocalypse will leave a bit of a hole in Krakoa's story moving forward, though. I wanted to see more of his relationship with Rictor (Apocalypse's "I did not ask for this connection to you" schtick in X-Factor was oddly sweet). I wonder what Rictor's storyline will be now in Apocalypses's absence (hopefully he gets one).

Larraz and Gracia are the best. Destruction is visually the most beautiful comics I have ever read.

Mighty Member

I’m thinking Bei is going to replace Gorgon as a Captain... well until he comes back

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    The whole quite council feels basicly designed to be as narratively volatile as possible, too have all that classic political backstabbing drama going on. There is a reason why i never got the impression this Krakoa Nation thing was ever designed to last.

It appears like a mighty castle build on sand.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Bingo! And it was no slight the way Xavier worded it in the Data pages in fact it was an honor because only the elite among mutants would risk their lives to help those who fear and hate them just as easily as those they love when they could be chilling in paradise. It's an honor to be considered an X-men among mutants.
    Didn't the Handbook for Dawn of X they brought out a while ago, had a whole page dedicated to who counts as having been a X-men and who was only working with them on missions?

These last 3 chapters were a beautifully satisfying ending to an even that lost its footing in the middle. X-Men 15 finally got us back to the characters we wanted to read about and further cemented why Cyclops is the Captain Commander.
    Destruction was fucking glorious. Pepe Larraz is a motherfucking god!!! His pages were so heavy and epic! The way he drew that issue was the weight I wanted for this story. He definitely came through with that anchor leg spot.
    Best moments: Jean and ALL THOSE MUTANTS raining down on Otherworld and MY GIRL, MAGIK, opening up that huge portal.
    Hats off to Larraz, Hickman and Howard for sticking that landing after an uneven performance.