Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Default X of Swords Finale (X-Men 15, Excalibur 15, Destruction) Reviews *spoilers*

X-Men 15

The final duel between Apocalypse and Annihilation/Genesis begins.

While the fight goes on, Jean and Scott face the council after they make the decision to bring a team to the Otherworld, rescue the mutants and close the gate so the Amenthi army has no way in. The Council disapproves, and Shaw suggests that whoever follows the plan must leave the council. Xavier, Magneto, Exodus and Mystique vote in agreement. Xavier explains that he must think about the majority of the Island instead of the safety of those who entered Otherworld. Emma, Kurt and Kate agree with the plan, but Scott and Jean insist for them to stay.

The council votes for the end of the "X-Men" name, as they should be the major autority in Krakoa.

In the battle, Apocalypse manages to wound his (ex-)wife, but refuses to take the final hit. Saturnyne demands a victor. The Annihilation helm speaks to Genesis, telling her to put it on, and by doing so heals her wounds. This is far from over.

Excalibur 15

Annihilation starts to raise hell on Otherworld, leading to a fight between the demon armies/the Arakki and the Krakoan swordbearers. Storm keeps the armies at bay using her powers while the others try to strategize. On the Arakki side (sans Solem), The White Sword quits, claiming this was not the fight he came for, and Bei decides to sequester her newly wedded husband. Jubilee also joins the fight with the green Priestess of the Capitol.

After Bei puts him down, Doug manages to convince her to join the other side. In the battle field, both sides come face to face.

Meanwhile, Saturnyne rushes to get Betsy's remains, in
    a plan to get her (Brian Braddock) Captain Britain corps back. Her intended spell does not work as planned though, as the call from the Starlight Sword unites the Betsy Braddock corps (sans 616 Betsy).

XoS: Destruction

The Captain Britan corps join the fight. Displeased by this, Annihilation and War call on their own army: the school of Summoners.

Cyclops makes a telepathic call to his fellow captain, Magik who creates a massive stepping disk on Otherworld. Enter the Peak, carrying an army of X-Men lead by Jean. However, this is not enough to face all of the dark forces of Amenth.

Cable feels like giving up, but Saturnyne reminds of him of the card he drew: The Fool. And only the fool wouldn't realize what he's holding isn't simply a sword. With the help of Jean, Scott and Illyana, Cable powers up the Peak again and they unleash the Vescora on the army of Summoners.

Apocalypse beats down Genesis again, and takes on the Annihilation helm himself. However, there is a difference in how it affects Apocalypse: he doesn't want to fight anymore. He surrenders himself to Saturnyne, who turns the helmet into a spear.

For the ceremonial end of the battle, Saturnyne requests an exchange: a mutant of Arakko for a mutant of Krakoa. Genesis chooses Apocalypse, and in turn, Apocalypse chooses the entire island of Arakko, uniting the two islands again.

The data pages show some closure on the swords, while the ending pages show some hints towards the future: the return of SWORD, the shattering of the council, the Apocalypse family united, the return of the Captain Britain corps, Solem, Death's rebirth in Sevalith, the co-existence of the Vescora and the Summoners in Blightspoke, the other Otherworld realms... But Saturnyne still stands alone, being the main loser in her own contest.
    Last edited by nandes; 11-25-2020 at 04:28 PM.

Mighty Member

So Genesis chose Apocalypse but he chose to reunite the island meaning we don't lose Apocalypse?

Also, why did Saturnyne lose? Didn't she want the Britain Corps back? Was that he real motivation for this "battle"? Does that mean the Arrakko mutants are sticking around?

And Cyclops and Jean are no longer part of the council?

Also is 616 Betsy still missing? O is she part of the corps now?

YESSSS. Thanks for putting them all together.

No. Apocalypse is going with Genesis.

Cyclops is still a captain. Jean is no longer on the QC.

She wanted Brian back as the leader of the Britain Corps. But her spell made it Betsy.

Question: Who was Isca holding?
    Last edited by CGAR; 11-25-2020 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    So Genesis chose Apocalypse but he chose to reunite the island meaning we don't lose Apocalypse?

Also, why did Saturnyne lose? Didn't she want the Britain Corps back? Was that he real motivation for this "battle"? Does that mean the Arrakko mutants are sticking around?

And Cyclops and Jean are no longer part of the council?

Also is 616 Betsy still missing? O is she part of the corps now?
    1 - I..guess so? Honestly I didn't even think about that being the case, but it does make logical sense. I guess we'll see.

2. Saturnyne lost because the thing she wanted most was Brian Braddock, which she didn't get.

3. Jean is no longer part of the council - IF they stick to their word on that. Cyclops never was, he was the main general.

4. I think that's purposefully being left unanswered. We'll see....

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Saturnyne wanted the Captain Britain Corps back, which she got, and also Brain.

Jean is no longer part of the council, Cyclops never was.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    YESSSS. Thanks for putting them all together.

No. Apocalypse is going with Genesis.

Cyclops is still a captain. Jean is no longer on the QC.

She wanted Brian back as the leader of the Britain Corps. But her spell made it Betsy.
    Where is Genesis going? If Arrakko has joined Krakoa shouldn't she stick around?

Also, who is officially "dead"?

Anyone else off the council besides Jean?

Her spell made it Betsy? Which Betsy? Is 616 Betsy back? Or is a just a non-616 Betsy?

Thank you!

Astonishing Member Kal-El Summers's Avatar

Scott was never part of the Council. Only Jean.

Extraordinary Member

X-Men 15 proved the central problem with the entire X of Swords event. No one was interested in writing about the swords. This emotional fight between long lost lovers is a side-note in an issue about the politics of the Quiet Council. When the writer doesn't care about the subject matter, it shows and affects the quality of the product. If they didn't care about the swords they shouldn't have had the swords be the premise in the first place. Have the champions picked but without needing to go get their swords. Then there's not only less needless padding and more room for the action, but the zaniness of the tournament would have made more sense and been less jarring.

The event overall felt pointless but I loved how Jean was utilized here, especially her leading the Xmen into battle

I really like how this shakes things up. New council seats, and millions of Arakki mutants now will join Krakoa. Apocalypse will probably come back some time in the future, probably to help Okkara in their time of need.

Having said that, while I overall enjoyed the event, a lot of it was just filler. Let's see:

1) X Of Swords: Creation
    2) X-Factor #4
    3) Cable #5 (Because it sets up the Viscari and Cyclops and Jean's plan)
    4) X Of Swords: Stasis
    5) Cable #6 (It sums up the other fights, and continues the Cyclops and Jean's plotline)
    6) X-Men #15
    7) Excalibur #15
    8) X Of Swords: Destruction
    Last edited by Viteh; 11-25-2020 at 09:49 AM.

I was under the impression Apocalypse and his family were staying in Amenth, and not going with Arakko.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kal-El Summers View Post
    Scott was never part of the Council. Only Jean.
    Ah true, but why'd he still keep his job if Jean lost hers? Seems she was the only one facing consequences. Do we know who is replacing Jean?

Also, why is Shaw around? He got away with murdering Kitty? You'd think her or Emma would do something?

Oh yeah the main Betsy is still missing and as we know that will be a Excalibur plot point. Sorry I didn't make it clear.

All in all, this was a good ending. I think the overall result of the event is strong, even with a few bumps along the way. The length was obviously an issue, but I liked a lot of standalone issues that we got from the first half (New Mutants and Marauders specially were the best issues of each series so far) and the sidequests like Hellions so I can't fully complain. I understand ppl who are displeased though, and maybe it would have flowed better if It was kept shorter.

An underrated highlight of the event was also Cable's journey, though I understand Cable fans might disagree with that. I loved him coming to terms with his own failures and all the family moments.

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I think Genesis, Apocalypse and the remaining horsemen are going to Amenth. They still have to keep them in check.

Isca should have switched sides the instant Doop turned up.