Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I actually love the depth given to Apocalypse, in the build up to, and within, this event.

I still think this event was bloated and a waste of characters. Apocalypse and Cypher (for one issue) are the only characters that got any kind of fleshing out or progression to their character. Everyone else was wasted.

The QC and X-Men developments were NEVER hinted at prior as being important to this event, but are suddenly dropped in midway through Chapter 19.

Why waste our time with these swords, using them as representation of the enormity of their potential sacrifice, only to show us how little the swords and their significance meant, both in how quickly the Arrako side got their swords and how the tournament turned into a dangerous Mario Party reenacting.

Why have Ororo get that sword, and explain to us the power and significance of that sword, and she ends up using it like any random sword?

Compare the action in any issue to something in say, My Hero:
    Attachment 102629

Or Blade of the Immortal:
    Attachment 102630
    Attachment 102631

There's speed, power, pain and character in their movements and expressions. In the few action scenes we got, they were pretty benign.

Why wasn't Apocalypse and Gorgon's desperation displayed like these? Focusing so much on being cinematic, that they forget to add detail and emotion to the pages!
    Because even the best mangaka can have their series axed if their sales drop. For better or for worse, the manga industry is far more cutthroat than the comic industry.
    Let your wallet talk.
    Never forget, Cyke fans~ https://twitter.com/i/status/1246248602768486402
    Jean had more presence in death than Cyke in Hickman's entire run.
    Hickman succeeded where 2010s Marvel didn't: make the X-Men villainous and irrelevant.
    Hilariously, the X-Men have now fully embraced mutant supremacy and racism against humans.
    For other Cyke-centered stories by a Cyclops fan: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1008144...ffle-or-Boogie

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by baxer View Post
    Just refuse the helm and he defeated Annihilation, but his wife that is stronger couldn't
    My main gripe is well let me get the obvious caveat out of the way first maybe Amenth needs to first be beaten in a battle of will by its wearer to weaken it ,with that I'm cool but Sat9 actually moulding a full on godlike entity from its 'visage' into a fancy fly swatter(I know it's a royal fan but still) is ridiculous.If Saturnyne had that kind of power why even engage a tournament..it beats logic.With her power she could negate Amenth from breaching outworld from the get go.I feel it would be more logical if she locked away the mask or magically exorcised the entity to say Blightspoke ,but not do what she did.That was a silly gimmick by the writers ,but yeah that and weak post Stasis issues up till the final 3 means it's not as epic as it could have been but pretty decent conclusion
    Last edited by Rev9; 11-26-2020 at 07:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by nandes View Post
    Toni Howard co-created this entire event with Hickman, and Saturnyne is more "her" character than his. Plus, the ending is more empathic to her than anything else
    If anything it's men Hickman can't write well , Apoc is a hero fine but it was not the mask making Genesis emasculate in fact belittle her husband that way.She was doing that on Okkara and he just takes it ... let's face it Apoc has or had been gelded and it's thanks to Hickman

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sunofdarkchild View Post
    I don't see that happening. The captains have to command, meaning they have to be able to communicate with others and right now Bei can't even communicate with Doug.

Of all the Arakko mutants who are now on Krakoa Isca would be the best choice to become a captain with her 'can't be beaten' ability. Wolverine seems like the most obvious choice as he has comparable skills to Gorgon and has a lot of experience as a leader, even if he's written like a moron much of the time. My pick would be either James Proudstar or Dani Moonstar given their history as leaders, but I can't see either of them being offered the job given how New Mutants has been playing out.
    She can,all but Doug can understand her speech,at least from my understanding of Excalibur 15, unless she was speaking telepathically

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by sensormellow View Post
    In Destruction (Jean's "To me, My X-Men!" line), who was the mutant next to Quire? The pink one with a sword? I don't think I've seen her before.
    The female 'Deadpool'? I've never seen her, must be a new character

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

It's Gwenpool. Leah Williams had her move to Krakoa.
    "Cable was right!"

Mighty Member

Just read the last 3 issues.

OMG, it's quite good unlike most of the previous issues that were just fillers.

They could have spread the 'X of Swords Destruction' into several issues because there were too many X-Men present and too many things happening at the same time.

It would have been good if most of these 'extra X-Men' were given speeches and personal fight scenes as well if only for a page each but they were just wallpaper here.

It would have been better if the 'extra X-Men' were given extra panels in previous issues instead of those filler issues.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I desperately need clarification on the Isca thing. The whole "She turned" bit. Forgive my stupidity y'all. So.....she stopped fighting (whilst holding on to Explodey Boy's limp body) and.... the other baddies interpreted that as...... switching sides? Or what?

RIP Explodey Boy

I'm also confused about that scene. I think they tried to cramp too many things in one issue which they should have spread into the last few issues.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    I desperately need clarification on the Isca thing. The whole "She turned" bit. Forgive my stupidity y'all. So.....she stopped fighting (whilst holding on to Explodey Boy's limp body) and.... the other baddies interpreted that as...... switching sides? Or what?

RIP Explodey Boy
    I know people think she 'switched sides' because the tide of the battle had changed, but I think she's connected in some way to the annihilation helmet and it was Apocalypse taking control of it that affected her. Of course, the fact that she can't be 'beaten' would still be a bad sign for the other guys. I think her goals might have changed to align with Apocalypse's, since he wanted to save his people she stopped killing them and started trying to save them.

Mighty Member

I know people think she 'switched sides' because the tide of the battle had changed, but I think she's connected in some way to the annihilation helmet and it was Apocalypse taking control of it that affected her. Of course, the fact that she can't be 'beaten' would still be a bad sign for the other guys. I think her goals might have changed to align with Apocalypse's, since he wanted to save his people she stopped killing them and started trying to save them.
    I think the last issue was too rushed, they should have given us more panels to explain in detail.

Astonishing Member

This explanation doesn't explain much, because why did she side with Amenth the first time can we surmise she wanted Arraki dead? ...That doesn't make sense,what makes sense is she like Genesis wants the best of the best to be rulers and perhaps felt honoured to be allied to an entity bringing mutantdom through a crucible of testing.That makes logical sense because if Apoc was tested by Amenth and overcame it she would still intrinsically be siding with a tested and worthy mutant. The more nefarious option is she just goes with the tide or simply plays a game offering her 'luck' for a time to the one she chooses on a whim

The completely made up and reaching option is to learn down the line she or her power stems from a superior cosmic entity who guides her through life almost like Saturnyne pulling strings,making events fall into place for her along the way.If they choose to explore her character we may yet learn how her power and fortune works
    Last edited by Rev9; 11-26-2020 at 07:40 AM.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

I hope they cover the Isca situation in the post-script. Maybe it has something to do with her being on the losing side cuz Apocalypse threw the fight when he surrendered.
    "Cable was right!"

Astonishing Member

Btw since White Sword is such an autonomous badass, do you guys think he stayed in his spire in Arrako or Amenth wherever it is ,or is he going to join the multitudes of Arraki on Krakoa? At this point his gripe could be with Genesis for even considering selling her soul to Amenth, but will he be bitter at Apoc for overcoming the helmet despite donning it? Surely not unless he is a principled purist

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    I hope they cover the Isca situation in the post-script. Maybe it has something to do with her being on the losing side cuz Apocalypse threw the fight when he surrendered.
    Interesting idea but you do realise if true this is the first time she's lost ,yes she sided with a 'winner' - Apocalypse ,but because he threw the fight and surrendered ,she lost on that technicality. Interesting but kind of paradoxical premise

After Gorgon died started speed reading just to get through it. Really wanted to see something done with Gorgon so I’m not pleased and now I guess Apocalypse is off the board too. Hopefully Exodus gets some shine and action in the future. I’m gonna have to read destruction again...