Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Is now the time for a Wonder Woman animated series?

I've heard that Wonder Woman was never considered for a show, because the point of the cartoons is to promote merchandise/action figure sales to boys.

Now that superheroes are more mainstream and franchising superheroes to girls is more common, is now the right time for an animated series?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by SecretWarrior View Post
    I've heard that Wonder Woman was never considered for a show, because the point of the cartoons is to promote merchandise/action figure sales to boys.

Now that superheroes are more mainstream and franchising superheroes to girls is more common, is now the right time for an animated series?
    Isn’t that why we have the DC Superhero Girls series?

It's always been the time, DC just has less of an excuse now that there's a successful movie.

Now's the time, yesterday was the time, five years ago was the time, the 90's was the time. Any time is a good time for a Wonder Woman animated series. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

It also seems that with most female-led action-adventure cartoons, the protagonists are exclusively young (child to early teens). This might indicate there's not a big audience for an animated series featuring an adult woman which is why WB isn't risking it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Now's the time, yesterday was the time, five years ago was the time, the 90's was the time. Any time is a good time for a Wonder Woman animated series. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it's going to happen anytime soon.

It also seems that with most female-led action-adventure cartoons, the protagonists are exclusively young (child to early teens). This might indicate there's not a big audience for an animated series featuring an adult woman which is why WB isn't risking it.
    Most adventure cartoons are aimed at a younger audience. The cartoons for adults tend to be comedies too.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It's always been the time, DC just has less of an excuse now that there's a successful movie.
    Well, less of an excuse but less of really a viable means to produce one. Traditional Superhero cartoons like the DCAU just aren't in vogue as much as they used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, less of an excuse but less of really a viable means to produce one. Traditional Superhero cartoons like the DCAU just aren't in vogue as much as they used to be.
    Seems like the kind of thing that DC Streaming app would have been good for.

But had to shill some more of Harley, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Seems like the kind of thing that DC Streaming app would have been good for.

But had to shill some more of Harley, I guess.
    Well, Young Justice was on there too .

Of course, the new content on that service kind of skewed older than I think we should be looking for from a WW cartoon.

Mighty Member

That time is since more than 20 years, but now with a Harley Quinn Cartoon and Super Hero Girls, after the New She Ra Cartoon and many others like that, with a damn brasilian Wonder Girl CW series about a so far not even existing character, and after DCEU Wonder Woman has soundly disproven the laughable idea that a female lead Superhero couldn't work would any excuse of WB sound like the gibberish of a flat earth believer.

This is my opinion.
    But I think sadly the cartoon market is stuck in "old school" mentality. The only way to make money from cartoons is from merchandise sales, primarily toys.

In comparison to anime, which is geared towards adults, but I'm not sure where their revenue stream is from though. Anyone else know? Advertising dollars if on TV?

But I think there is where transparency would be more important from TV studios. Green Lantern was liked, and watched, and yet was cancelled. As an adult fan, what can I do? Go buy toys I don't want? Or maybe KFC (For example) should be a sponsor and promote during the show, and the implication becomes, "if KFC sales go up, they will continue to promote the show."
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    This is my opinion.
    But I think sadly the cartoon market is stuck in "old school" mentality. The only way to make money from cartoons is from merchandise sales, primarily toys.

In comparison to anime, which is geared towards adults, but I'm not sure where their revenue stream is from though. Anyone else know? Advertising dollars if on TV?

But I think there is where transparency would be more important from TV studios. Green Lantern was liked, and watched, and yet was cancelled. As an adult fan, what can I do? Go buy toys I don't want? Or maybe KFC (For example) should be a sponsor and promote during the show, and the implication becomes, "if KFC sales go up, they will continue to promote the show."
    It should be less the case now then decades ago as they made Cartoon after Cartoon to promote their toy, but why should that even be a problem? Wonder Woman merchandise always had surprisigly solid sales as far as i know, and even skyrocketed after the DCEU movie from what i have read, articles from the time of her movie release read like this:

Wonder Woman Tie-Ins Include Action Figures and Eyeshadow
    Merchandise sales are estimated at $500 million to $1 billion
    Female hero toy sales last three years exceed previous decade

Yes, it is high time, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

As much as I'd love a series, I don't think they'd get her right.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post

Sadly, you're probably correct.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    On the other hand: