Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vishop View Post
    Welp, Hickman uses him a lot so...
    Not since Secret Warriors. He barely did anything beyond look cool, for about 10 pages worth of panels the whole Dawn of X.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    What kind of war though: mutant civil war or World War X?
    ‘World War X’ seems more like an irresistible title for a crossover event, a full-scale throw down with every other Marvel IP

Woes of X or something would be a civil war
    Last edited by king of hybrids; 11-28-2020 at 08:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    I more so appreciated us getting into the mindset of people that suddenly had to learn how to create their own society, and seeing that process in real-time. It made that comic far more personal, while Hickman's run is so scattered. I didn't even care for 99% of the characters used, but I still loved that run. Great character work.

Which is why I felt that Dawn of X should've been 2-3 books, for a year, to ground the and solidify the different objectives of the QC and Moira, and then expand. If Hickman had given us Wood's Ultimate X-Men, and then expanded the line for Reign of X, but with a clear focus....the hype would've never died.
    I agree with this. I think my biggest solid complaint with Hickman's X-Men is that its all over the place. I hate the formatting of the X-Men series even though 2 or 3 issues are some of my favorite X-Men singles of all-time.

And on one hand I did appreciate Wood's Ultimate run, but they're too different beasts entirely to compare. Wood was dealing with a small group with an even smaller core while Hickman is reshaping an entire corner of the Marvel Universe. I have tremendous respect for what Hickman has built, I just wish someone took a better hold of the...erm...reins.

Hickman’s X-men is all over the place, but it feels like that’s by design. Seeding so many concepts for other writers to take and run with in different ways. Whether that’s geopolitics in X-Force or mutant magic in Excalibur or now deep space exploration in SWORD. It’s a sprawling mess in many ways... as you might expect the birth of a true mutant nation to be, in terms of its impact on pretty much everything around it.

That ROX teaser has me excited because there’s so much coming our way in 2021, and that’s probably just a flavor of the next 4-6 months.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Hickman’s X-men is all over the place, but it feels like that’s by design. Seeding so many concepts for other writers to take and run with in different ways. Whether that’s geopolitics in X-Force or mutant magic in Excalibur or now deep space exploration in SWORD..
    I think this may be an issue I have with the run as well to an extent. HoX/PoX was probably my favorite mainstream comic to come out in recent years, and I've greatly enjoyed the main X-Men series and one shots written by Hickman (yes including the Hordeculture issue; those ladies are awesome). But that's a problem, because his stuff is SO GOOD but I want him to be the one to follow up on it. The other writers save Wells and most likely Ewing just aren't doing it for me.

We might get, say, the Brood stuff S.W.X.R.D which will be excellent, but I imagine the Otherworld stuff recently showing up in Creation/Stasis is mainly going to be dealt with in Howard's Excalibur, which doesn't thrill me as much. Which is a shame, because all of that stuff was really cool, especially seeing Mad Jim Jaspers and Fury again.

Well, I think that’s the problem with having multiple X-books in the line. Hickman can’t possibly write them all, and there are going to be hits and misses in terms of the follow up to the concepts he’s seeded across the line. In some cases, like Ben Percy’s X-Force and Wolverine, the result is outstanding. At least IMO. In other cases, like Excalibur, it’s a bit on the weaker side. Again, in my opinion. But, like anything, you’ve just got to take the good with the bad. And choose what you focus on. I tend to focus on the good and kind of disregard or ignore the stuff I don’t personally enjoy.

But I will say that I’m definitely buying more X-books now than I was before House of X/Powers of X. Pretty much everything except for Excalibur, Cable and New Mutants; and I’m about to try NM again.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Well, I think that’s the problem with having multiple X-books in the line. Hickman can’t possibly write them all, and there are going to be hits and misses in terms of the follow up to the concepts he’s seeded across the line. In some cases, like Ben Percy’s X-Force and Wolverine, the result is outstanding. At least IMO. In other cases, like Excalibur, it’s a bit on the weaker side. Again, in my opinion. But, like anything, you’ve just got to take the good with the bad. And choose what you focus on. I tend to focus on the good and kind of disregard or ignore the stuff I don’t personally enjoy.

But I will say that I’m definitely buying more X-books now than I was before House of X/Powers of X. Pretty much everything except for Excalibur, Cable and New Mutants; and I’m about to try NM again.
    Oh yeah, definitely I agree with all that. I wasn't buying anything before HoX/PoX despite loving the X-Men, so I'm on board until the end of this. I just hope that ultimately Hickman's segments can be enjoyed on their own without needing to read anything else to get the full picture, even though it would help. Like I will get the X of Swords hardcover, but I only read Hickman's issues so far and could follow along with most of it. I think that's one advantage Morrison's run has over this thus far, their run was completely self contained and you didn't have to read anything else.

But Hellions is out of nowhere the best non-Hickman book and Ewing's book I'm sure will be great. I too may give NM a shot again with Ayala's run since I love those characters. I do wish Hickman stayed on it or Wells would write it though.

Yeah, I’ve enjoyed Hellions a lot too. Which was definitely a surprise for me because when I first saw the cast I was very much in the “meh” camp. But it’s been great fun.

Still no Firestar, when will she appear? She appeared quite prominent on an X-Men promo but nothing has materialised in any book.

Quote Originally Posted by kevlon View Post
    Still no Firestar, when will she appear? She appeared quite prominent on an X-Men promo but nothing has materialised in any book.
    I suspect that some of the people in that promo are going to be on X-Men Legends.

Mighty Member

But I will say that I’m definitely buying more X-books now than I was before House of X/Powers of X. Pretty much everything except for Excalibur, Cable and New Mutants; .
    I agree with you on your list too. I think these three won't be as interesting a read as the others.

Wished they had another title that Nightcrawler/Banshee are leading though.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I suspect that some of the people in that promo are going to be on X-Men Legends.
    X-Men Legends.... isn't that just old stories rewritten like X-Men Hidden Years or New Mutants Forever?

Quote Originally Posted by ericng View Post
    X-Men Legends.... isn't that just old stories rewritten like X-Men Hidden Years or New Mutants Forever?
    Yes, but there are plot points introduced in Sinister Secrets in Powers of X like the third Summers brother that seem to be going to be solved there.

Astonishing Member

Something that just came to my mind thinking about the Council situation. Did they confirm it's Reign of X as in the letter "X" or is there currently room for the X standing for the roman numeral ten (again)?

Which would match how the Council is currently down to 10 members with Apocalypse and Jean Grey gone from it.

I think i might see where Hickman is going when he said put all the toys back in the box. The x-men has now been clearly separated from Krakoa and Krakoa is basically here to stay (especially with the import of Arrako and a million new mutants to potentially create story for the entire MU. I bet other writers who feel that haven't had new villians in a while are foaming at the mouth. Imagine the rogue's galleries you can create for all heros of all levels with a million new mutants from a hellish dimension.)which means in the MCU and what we will be getting soon is that Krakoa will be a place in the MU just like Attilian etc but it will remain and the x-men group will be outcasts from Krakoa and most likely mainly operate in the "outside world" being heroes but now there doesn't need to that school aspect because they have krakoa for it and you can still do persecution story if that's what gets you off because in the larger world they are still mutants and on top of that while they may not directly affiliate with Krakoa what Krakoa does on the world stage will affect the x-men and how they are seen.

Guess Beast stole that gate overriding tech at the right time because the X-men gonna need it. lol

Oh and well done hickman. DOX was basically a handbook for the entire marvel universe to use to have fun with Krakoans in the future and he did that. They all did that and i have to give Jordan credit because it's no small feat keeping all these stories cohesive and they read so well in trade and hardcover format.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/