Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Are Much of a Covid Risk Are Comic Book Stores?

Book stores too.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Good lord. I meant: How much of a covid risk are comic book stores.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Well, the risk of COVID is literally everywhere when you get right down to it, not just at comic shops. But, I digress, the shop I frequent in downtown Philly initiated all the proper protocols: masks for staff and customers, limited numbers of people in the shop (5) and a plexiglas barrier at the register. I've felt safe visiting the shop have had no fear of contracting the virus.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Spectacular Member

There's also a 15 minute guideline to look at. close quarters is ok for a little bit so long as Masks and there's a limit to the number a people.

Book stores are rarely spacious. They are often so full of books you have barely the space to move around.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

How well ventilated is it? How much room is there to navigate, and distance from people? How long are you in there?

I don't have an LCS anymore, but if I did, I'd call, tell them what I want, go pick it up and leave. No browsing. I don't need to risk it, and the staff don't need to risk it. Comic Shop employees don't get paid enough for the risk.

Retired

A lot of comic book stores I've visited are in very small locations. You're constantly having to squeeze past other people. It's probably a consequence of owners making very little money, so they can't afford the rent on a large space, and yet they have a lot of stock to display.

This isn't always the case. There are a few comic book stores I've been in that were big and wide open and it was a pleasure to be inside them.

That's my experience, too.

It's nothing to do with what the store sells. Is it cramped quarters? Are staff taking precautions? Are they enforcing guidelines? Are they taking it seriously? There are parts of the US where people still think it's a hoax or an overblown reaction to the flu. It's not. If you live in one of those places, I wouldn't shop ANYWHERE for ANYTHING.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

Would you feel comfortable shopping at Zanadu today, were it still around?

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

As someone who has to use bus and subway on a daily basis to get to work I wish I had the luxury of worrying about being safe in comic book store

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Would you feel comfortable shopping at Zanadu today, were it still around?
    Are you asking me specifically? That was my old store. Honestly? I think the crew would be very conscientious but the clientele would not, and the layout of the place would make distancing very difficult, especially at the register. So no. I would not.
    Last edited by Greg Hatcher; 11-27-2020 at 03:08 PM.
    You can find a bunch of books I wrote stories for here. The weekly column is here.

haha. Yeah, I was. I know you shopped there.

I went to a few comic book stores, they all had hand sanitizer and a lot of space but now I'm just ordering online. If you can buy from a store online that's a better option.
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Incredible Member

The comic stores I frequent have been very adamant about the safety measures and makes me feel safe, I also limit my browsing too depending on the size of the store. I would only order online if I can't find a certain book at a brick and mortar place.