Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 64
  1. #46
    Astonishing Member Silvermoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    Does it need to?
    I could imagine, as the series continues and more diverse people are added, especially gender diverse people, calling them X-men will become more and more awkward and old fashioned. It’s a shame though because there’s something about the term x-men that sounds exciting, more than gen x or whatever. I am confident we can eventually think of something

  2. #47
    Incredible Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    936

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

    There was also that time that X-MEN2099 grew into X-NATION
    X-Nation > X-people
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

  3. #48
    Incredible Member Thundershot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    526

    Default

    *facepalms*

    They’re the X-Men. If someone doesn’t like the name, them read X-Force or X-Factor. Don’t force everyone else to have to put up with the unnecessary PC language that this planet seems to feel the need to impose on people. Bring back Aunt Jemima (who I always saw as a sweet old grandma making pancakes for the family) and Uncle Ben (not that one lol) and the Land o Lakes boobie girl (because, let’s face it, that’s what most of us know her for). Ugh. Just leave things alone.

    I don’t think they’ll change the name, but the way the world is now getting offended by everything, you never know...

  4. #49
    Astonishing Member Mutant God's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,945

    Default

    X-Soldiers, X-Family, X-Heroes, X-Gods lol

  5. #50
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,848

    Default

    I think the name is too well engrained to be changed at this point, irregardless of whether it should be.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  6. #51
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I could imagine, as the series continues and more diverse people are added, especially gender diverse people, calling them X-men will become more and more awkward and old fashioned. It’s a shame though because there’s something about the term x-men that sounds exciting, more than gen x or whatever. I am confident we can eventually think of something
    I don’t understand how it could become awkward. Look at Giant Size team, they were diverse. Still X-Men.

  7. #52
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    345

    Default

    This conversation was literally a joke in Deadpool 2. There are 10 x books OTHER than X-men fucking pick one!

  8. #53
    Fantastic Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    470

    Default

    Nah. Branding too strong.

  9. #54
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,904

    Default

    A lot of posts here are unusually combative over a simple question - let's not feed the stereotype of what a "comic book fan" is.

  10. #55
    Incredible Member Micabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    671

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What about the word origin of "actor" indicates one gender or another?
    There are female actors, there are male actors, they perform the same functions of portraying characters? There aren't male actresses.
    Oxford dictionary weighs in on the subject.
    https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...tor-or-actress
    https://painintheenglish.com/case/703
    So why create separate words? Firefighter vs FireMan, Police Officer vs PoliceMAN, that kind of thing...
    There is a perfectly good (yet rejected) gender neutral word for actor/actress --> "Thespian".
    Last edited by Micabe; 11-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

  11. #56
    Mighty Member Ra-El's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1,678

    Default

    I don't know about, ti probably won't happen because it's not just a comic book, but a brand, a very lucrative one.

    About the genderless word, in portuguese for example, professions are actually gendered, so it's not that easy to change. A male doctor (médico) and a female doctor (médica) are the norm, so for us isn't strange to call an male actor (ator) and an female actor (atriz) from different things.

  12. #57
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,351

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    There is a perfectly good (yet rejected) gender neutral word for actor/actress --> "Thespian".
    Synonyms are a thing.

  13. #58
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,933

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Sooo who decided actor was genderless?
    It's always been genderless, so I guess at least since Gwyneth infiltrated Shakespeare's troupe.

  14. #59
    Astonishing Member danielsan52's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    2,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I could imagine, as the series continues and more diverse people are added, especially gender diverse people, calling them X-men will become more and more awkward and old fashioned. It’s a shame though because there’s something about the term x-men that sounds exciting, more than gen x or whatever. I am confident we can eventually think of something
    X-Men was never about gender, it is an awesome team name and should never be changed for some silly butthurt nonsense.
    Calling Wanda a Pretender is Trumpian at best

  15. #60
    Astonishing Member Spinster Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,186

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    *facepalms*

    They’re the X-Men. If someone doesn’t like the name, them read X-Force or X-Factor. Don’t force everyone else to have to put up with the unnecessary PC language that this planet seems to feel the need to impose on people. Bring back Aunt Jemima (who I always saw as a sweet old grandma making pancakes for the family) and Uncle Ben (not that one lol) and the Land o Lakes boobie girl (because, let’s face it, that’s what most of us know her for). Ugh. Just leave things alone.

    I don’t think they’ll change the name, but the way the world is now getting offended by everything, you never know...
    Ironic you are so worked up about other people being so easily offended...

    Things change. Its okay.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •