Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,353

    Default Post-Gender X title evolution

    House of X, Powers of X, Dawn of X, Reign of X...etc..
    Are we due for a evolution of the Mutant titles beyond the gendered X-MEN?
    And is Marvel easing readers in the direction of a coming re-branding via Tom Muller's new logo design work where the X can stand alone on the main title (I wonder what the status of the copyright on the "X" title from Dark Horse is these days?
    Suggestions for what the next stage of X-Title evolution could be?
    https://www.creativebloq.com/news/ma...new-x-men-logo



  2. #2
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    It's quite possible, I mean we have moved beyond "policeman", "stuardist", "receptionist", and the like.

    But we're talking about a billion dollar IP owned by a multi billion dollar corporation, and it really depends if they want to lose the brand recognition.

    Unfortunately, I don't think Disney is that forward thinking - yet.

  3. #3
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    gendered
    Man:
    1. an adult male human being.
    2. a human being of either sex; a person.

    I think it's pretty obvious which definition the "men" in the X-Men is.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    3,456

    Default

    The way "Men" is used for this IP is unisex. Because duh.

    Jeezus...we've had a volume of X-Men where the whole team was female. Did you miss that?

    Soon you'll be saying that calling a actress an actor is tantamount to a slur.

    On a side note, I do love the new logo. Also, the explanation to moving away from "X-Men" in X-Men #15 is much more appropriate, compared to this post-gender thing.
    Last edited by TooFlyToFail; 11-26-2020 at 02:24 AM.

  5. #5
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    25,130

    Default

    In Spider-Girl's future in the MC2 comics, Jubilee was the leader of the X-People.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  6. #6
    see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,922

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In Spider-Girl's future in the MC2 comics, Jubilee was the leader of the X-People.
    Man, that run was so amazing

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    The way "Men" is used for this IP is unisex. Because duh.

    Jeezus...we've had a volume of X-Men where the whole team was female. Did you miss that?

    Soon you'll be saying that calling a actress an actor is tantamount to a slur.

    On a side note, I do love the new logo. Also, the explanation to moving away from "X-Men" in X-Men #15 is much more appropriate, compared to this post-gender thing.

    I didn't miss anything. Just in case anyone did...

    The question of the appropriateness of the MEN part of the X-title has been debated in the general public since the first movie brought them into the public eye, with reviewers asking why a female dominated team wasn't called the "X-People" right up til the most recent installment that gave that question its own meta reference in the movie itself.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...name-outdated/


    We are also living in a time when the word THEM has become acceptable standard as gender neutral singular instead of the traditionally grammatically WRONG usage of the word. For the. FIRST.TIME.EVER. And we still have XEM kicking around.
    https://www.them.us/story/gender-neu...ey-them-xe-xem
    People choose their own pronouns, the trend of spelling WOMYN (without the word MEN in it) and moving towards gender neutral LATINX (instead of Latino or Latina) or MX. (instead of Mr/Miss/Ms/Mrs) are not new and ongoing.
    Language changes. Evolves.. The patriarchal use of MAN to be unisex is in decline.
    https://www.lexico.com/grammar/the-language-of-gender
    The gender neutral "actor" has replaced actor/actress in some awards ceremonies to much fanfare.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...ouy-story.html

    And there sure was an all-female team and they did an (unfortunate) title called X-WOMEN too.

  8. #8
    Incredible Member Psy-lock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Location
    Moscow
    Posts
    817

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The question of the appropriateness of the MEN part of the X-title has been debated in the general public since the first movie brought them into the public eye, with reviewers asking why a female dominated team wasn't called the "X-People" right up til the most recent installment that gave that question its own meta reference in the movie itself.
    https://www.digitalspy.com/movies/a2...name-outdated/
    That scene was cringe though, especially in the context of the movie franchise that treats its female characters horribly

    It was particularly hilarious in the Russian dub where "X-Men" have always been translated as "X-People", making it sound like JLaw doesn't think women are people.

    Honestly, "X-People" just doesn't sound as good in English.

  9. #9
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,516

    Default

    Are you really complaining that the team has the word "Men" in it?

    Go knit a sweater or something.
    "Cable was right!"

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Are you really complaining that the team has the word "Men" in it?

    Go knit a sweater or something.
    Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. I hope that at some point you actually refer to something that's been said in it...

    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...men-inclusive/
    https://bleedingcool.com/movies/coul...-of-the-x-men/

    Last edited by Thirteen; 11-26-2020 at 07:30 AM.

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Frobisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    1,942

    Default

    How about the X-cels?

  12. #12
    The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    Thanks for your contribution to the discussion. I hope that at some point you actually refer to something that's been said in it...

    https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...men-inclusive/
    https://bleedingcool.com/movies/coul...-of-the-x-men/

    People only think the name isn't "inclusive" because they never went to school and forgot the word can be used gender-neutrally.

    Just leave it how Stan Lee named it.
    "Cable was right!"

  13. #13
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Posts
    189

    Default

    If they can, I think it's just be an ambiguous "X".
    I'm not against changing naming conventions, going for X sounds like it leaves a lot open. Plus with titles like "X-Force" and "Excalibur", the X comic works fairly well.
    We'll get that for a few years, and then Marvel will revert back to "X-Men".

    So those complaining they don't need to change the name, well, eh... the franchise will still be widely known a X-Men. And it will come back after a while anyway.

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    In Spider-Girl's future in the MC2 comics, Jubilee was the leader of the X-People.

    There was also that time that X-MEN2099 grew into X-NATION

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Thirteen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    2,353

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    People only think the name isn't "inclusive" because they never went to school and forgot the word can be used gender-neutrally.

    Just leave it how Stan Lee named it.
    Untrue.
    ALSO Stan Lee wanted to name it "THE MUTANTS".
    https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...erview-754889/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •