Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M. View Post
    Does it need to?
    I could imagine, as the series continues and more diverse people are added, especially gender diverse people, calling them X-men will become more and more awkward and old fashioned. It’s a shame though because there’s something about the term x-men that sounds exciting, more than gen x or whatever. I am confident we can eventually think of something

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

There was also that time that X-MEN2099 grew into X-NATION
    X-Nation > X-people
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

*facepalms*

They’re the X-Men. If someone doesn’t like the name, them read X-Force or X-Factor. Don’t force everyone else to have to put up with the unnecessary PC language that this planet seems to feel the need to impose on people. Bring back Aunt Jemima (who I always saw as a sweet old grandma making pancakes for the family) and Uncle Ben (not that one lol) and the Land o Lakes boobie girl (because, let’s face it, that’s what most of us know her for). Ugh. Just leave things alone.

I don’t think they’ll change the name, but the way the world is now getting offended by everything, you never know...

X-Soldiers, X-Family, X-Heroes, X-Gods lol

I think the name is too well engrained to be changed at this point, irregardless of whether it should be.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    I could imagine, as the series continues and more diverse people are added, especially gender diverse people, calling them X-men will become more and more awkward and old fashioned. It’s a shame though because there’s something about the term x-men that sounds exciting, more than gen x or whatever. I am confident we can eventually think of something
    I don’t understand how it could become awkward. Look at Giant Size team, they were diverse. Still X-Men.

BANNED

This conversation was literally a joke in Deadpool 2. There are 10 x books OTHER than X-men fucking pick one!

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Nah. Branding too strong.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

A lot of posts here are unusually combative over a simple question - let's not feed the stereotype of what a "comic book fan" is.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    What about the word origin of "actor" indicates one gender or another?
    There are female actors, there are male actors, they perform the same functions of portraying characters? There aren't male actresses.
    Oxford dictionary weighs in on the subject.
    https://english.stackexchange.com/qu...tor-or-actress
    https://painintheenglish.com/case/703
    So why create separate words? Firefighter vs FireMan, Police Officer vs PoliceMAN, that kind of thing...
    There is a perfectly good (yet rejected) gender neutral word for actor/actress --> "Thespian".
    Last edited by Micabe; 11-26-2020 at 06:40 PM.

I don't know about, ti probably won't happen because it's not just a comic book, but a brand, a very lucrative one.

About the genderless word, in portuguese for example, professions are actually gendered, so it's not that easy to change. A male doctor (médico) and a female doctor (médica) are the norm, so for us isn't strange to call an male actor (ator) and an female actor (atriz) from different things.

Quote Originally Posted by Micabe View Post
    There is a perfectly good (yet rejected) gender neutral word for actor/actress --> "Thespian".
    Synonyms are a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    Sooo who decided actor was genderless?
    It's always been genderless, so I guess at least since Gwyneth infiltrated Shakespeare's troupe.

Quote Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
    X-Men was never about gender, it is an awesome team name and should never be changed for some silly butthurt nonsense.
    TO KNOW HER IS TO FEAR HER: JESSICA DREW THE SPIDER-WOMAN
    BE SURE TO CHECK OUT THE NEW 2024 SPIDER-WOMAN SERIES by STEVE FOXE!!!

MISSING:
    Synch's Aura
    Northstar and Aurora's shiny hair
    Spider-Woman’s cowl costume

Quote Originally Posted by Thundershot View Post
    *facepalms*

They’re the X-Men. If someone doesn’t like the name, them read X-Force or X-Factor. Don’t force everyone else to have to put up with the unnecessary PC language that this planet seems to feel the need to impose on people. Bring back Aunt Jemima (who I always saw as a sweet old grandma making pancakes for the family) and Uncle Ben (not that one lol) and the Land o Lakes boobie girl (because, let’s face it, that’s what most of us know her for). Ugh. Just leave things alone.

I don’t think they’ll change the name, but the way the world is now getting offended by everything, you never know...
    Ironic you are so worked up about other people being so easily offended...

Things change. Its okay.