Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Are there any good Lois Lane origin stories?

The World of Metropolis mini didn’t really do much for me and the recent Lois Lane & the Friendship Challenge kids book wasn’t really what I am looking for either.

Are there any good flashbacks or stories that focus on Lois Lane before she met Superman?

Thanks!

I don't think it's quite what you're looking for but in some ways Smallville was as much an origin for Lois Lane becoming Lois Lane as we know her as it is a Superman origin series.

There was also that Tales of Metropolis issue where she visits Metropolis as a kid and Lex Luthor acted really creepy towards her.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Her most recent series, The Question with Lois Lane, had a few flashbacks to her growing up. The Sam Lane memorial issue, I think.

During New Krypton, Superwoman was revealed to be Lucy Lane if memory serves and I think they did some flashbacks for her that featured Lois, but my memory is hazy there because I didn't make it to the end of that event and never went back to finish it reread it.

Both would be Lois as a military brat which is the common take today.

For an entire issue, I don't recall. It's usually bits and pieces here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Her most recent series, The Question with Lois Lane, had a few flashbacks to her growing up. The Sam Lane memorial issue, I think.

During New Krypton, Superwoman was revealed to be Lucy Lane if memory serves and I think they did some flashbacks for her that featured Lois, but my memory is hazy there because I didn't make it to the end of that event and never went back to finish it reread it.

Both would be Lois as a military brat which is the common take today.

For an entire issue, I don't recall. It's usually bits and pieces here and there.
    The Supergirl annual by Sterling Gates that had Lucy's origin as Superwoman showed some flashbacks to their growing up, although it was mostly from Lucy's perspective.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I've been searching around the web for the last day and there's nothing. This is kind of shocking to me. Lois Lane is literally on of comics' top 5 most important female characters and nobody has ever given her a good origin story in more than 80 years?

Retired

What do you want? She grew up a normal woman, in a normal family. That's her origin. Lois Lane is supposed to be the grounded character in contrast to Superman--she shouldn't have an out of this world origin story.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I've been searching around the web for the last day and there's nothing. This is kind of shocking to me. Lois Lane is literally on of comics' top 5 most important female characters and nobody has ever given her a good origin story in more than 80 years?
    Most 40 year-old men won't buy a comic book about a woman unless she's in a skin-tight costume and 8-inch heels.

In all seriousness, her books just don't seem to sell and since DC usually only lets less-proven talent get one-shots or side stories, most have to write their biggest idea because they may not get another shot. It's why you see so much with the Joker. When you're only going to get one arc, you probably won't burn it on Lois Lane. You'll want to do some big Superman story that says everything you want to say on Superman.

It's a shame, but the only people who would be able to pull this off (big industry names) seem to want to talk about other characters. Even Rucka, who everyone thought was the ideal choice for this sort of thing, ended up making Lois Lane's own book a stealth Question comic.