Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Non-X books are more inconsistent because those are being told from the viewpoint of nonmutant outsiders, whether heroes or civilians, who see what mutants are doing as a kind of dangerously radical separatism rooted in a sense of superiority to and antagonism toward humanity, i.e. the same humanity that violently rejected mutants as kindred, even to the point of repeated attempts at genocide. (Snipped for length)
    Except those inconsistencies are coming from mutant characters in non x books. Stuff characters like Wolverine and Xavier say in non x books don't gel with what other actual X books say. It feels like every writer got different notes on what Krakoa is

Back to my earlier point, it does feel a bit inconsistent (if the intended message is "no we aren't removing characters backgrounds and replacing them with 'Krakoan' now") it doesn't feel consistent across the board with characters like Nightcrawler giving up Catholicism and them cremating a prominent Jewish hero
    Last edited by gonnagiveittoya; 11-26-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Kurt founding a new religion has nothing to do with assimilation if he does not impose it on others. Which I doubt he will do.

Astonishing Member TooFlyToFail's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pkingdom View Post
    Actually, the books outside of the X office with non-mutant characters usually portray Krakoa in a better light than the actual X books. Came up in Captain America, that She-Hulk tie in, and so on. In the X books its super inconsistent. Storm's ties to her African heritage were thrown away, while Kitty and Magneto's Jewist roots were heavily emphasized while the bad writing mishhandled it. As soon as Russia became an enemy all Russian mutants were rounded up to be paraded as traitors. Krakoa is such a weird case because they explicitly want to take over the world, just not through open warfare. So it kind of doubles down on the 'us vs them' kind of thinking, so these kinds of 'which are you?' conversations are inevitable. So its really inconsistent and easy to see why people see it both ways.

It doesn't help that this mutant culture we are told about hasn't really happened. Its a serious case of writers telling instead of showing. And frankly, its something I don't think the writers have the time or patience to do it well or properly, which is why so much of their culture is just Council fiat.
    The mutants don't have a culture, at least not the Krakoans. Maybe the Arrakii mutants do, so there's that. However, like Magneto said in X-Men #4, they're going to act like the rest of the world, but more efficient and tell you to your face that they're better.

Dani says that humans never made anything of worth, yet everything they've done to solidify their country's positions is straight out of the human play book. They want to have their cake, after having eaten it. They refuse to admit that they're just as bad. Just as human.

Also, they're a powerful nation of the next stage of human evolution (in the short-term, anyway, before the humans merge with the machines and proceed to curbstomp). Even if there wasn't a history of hate, most other countries would be wary, distrustful and preparing defenses. It's how the world and humans work. They should know, since they're still human.

Quote Originally Posted by TooFlyToFail View Post
    Dani says that humans never made anything of worth, yet everything they've done to solidify their country's positions is straight out of the human play book..
    Even the Cheyennes?

When you want create something new, there should be at least a discussion: what you keep, what you discard… You never create anything from nothing.

I think it should be the real subject of Krakoa and not treated so offhand.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zelena View Post
    Even the Cheyennes?

When you want create something new, there should be at least a discussion: what you keep, what you discard… You never create anything from nothing.

I think it should be the real subject of Krakoa and not treated so offhand.
    Why is it that the Nazi robots 40 years ago were able to notice that mutants are humans but for some reason we can’t now?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It’s a religion that encompasses the beliefs of others, as shown in Marauders when Kurt notes that Kate’s 18th attempt (linked to life/חַי in Judaism) is when she was brought back. Weird to make assumptions on a concept we barely know about besides psalms we get in Hellions issues.
    religion can also change and develop, remember that christianity and islam had the same roots before and still have some similarities but they are now separate religions.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 11-27-2020 at 12:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    It’s a religion that encompasses the beliefs of others, as shown in Marauders when Kurt notes that Kate’s 18th attempt (linked to life/חַי in Judaism) is when she was brought back. Weird to make assumptions on a concept we barely know about besides psalms we get in Hellions issues.
    Assumptions are the only things I can make since they haven't really explained anything. You're making just as many assumptions as I am about it. And whatever it is, it's hard to see him founding a new religion still mean he's a member of a different religion he's specifically trying to replace

It might take influence from other religions but that wouldn't make it not a different religion.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    It might take influence from other religions but that wouldn't make it not a different religion.
    Pretty much every religion has influence of others.

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Kurt founding a new religion has nothing to do with assimilation if he does not impose it on others. Which I doubt he will do.
    Kurt imposing anything on anyone is laughable.
    Big fuzzy softy, that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Kurt imposing anything on anyone is laughable.
    Big fuzzy softy, that one.
    I used to agree with you, but then they had him take part in that parade of shame in X-force and I'm left wondering what the hell is up with him

I used to agree with you, but then they had him take part in that parade of shame in X-force and I'm left wondering what the hell is up with him
    Since that plot point has yet to be resolved, I'm chalking that scene up to "Hey everyone, come over to THIS part of Krakoa....." and not being provided with much other explanation.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Since that plot point has yet to be resolved, I'm chalking that scene up to "Hey everyone, come over to THIS part of Krakoa....." and not being provided with much other explanation.
    Yeah, didn't seem like anyone outside X-force knew exactly what was going on.

What happened I don’t remember that?
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    What happened I don’t remember that?
    Beast was attempting to put all the Russian mutants (besides Magik for some reason) on public trial without any real evidence and Kurt was one of the people in the background shot. We have no idea what information was provided to the onlookers and considering Beast's own teammates didn't know what he was doing I'm going to assume that he didn't provide all the facts.