Astonishing Member

Default It's Toku Turkey Day!

Hey, so it turns out that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is kind of boring without a crowd and I can't seem to find the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon on Pluto TV (it's supposed to be channel 400, but there is no channel 400). So, I decided to start a new thing right here today! Inspired by stories I heard that small, local stations used to air Godzilla marathons on Thanksgiving and the sheer wealth of tokusatsu available to us today I decided to create Toku Turkey Day, where I watch tokusatsu all Thanksgiving morning!

Honestly, this will probably only take off with me, but I thought I'd post about it anyway in case anyone liked the idea. Anyway, back to watching GoGo V.
    GoGoV.jpg
    Ultraman.jpg
    KamenRiderFourze2.jpg

Gentaro would be pretty fun to have on Thanksgiving .

Astonishing Member

Do you have the PlutoTV app or a smart TV?

The MST3K marathon is on their YouTube page (and a bunch of other platforms).

... but, I feel like once the turkey is done I'll get back to Ultraman Ace, so I'm celebrating both ways!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Gentaro would be pretty fun to have on Thanksgiving .
    Crowd might get kind of big. That guy's friends with everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454
    Do you have the PlutoTV app or a smart TV?
    I was using the Pluto TV app on my Roku.

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman
    The MST3K marathon is on their YouTube page (and a bunch of other platforms).

... but, I feel like once the turkey is done I'll get back to Ultraman Ace, so I'm celebrating both ways!
    Guess I should have tried YouTube too. I watched Ultraman R/B, the original Kamen Rider, some GoGoV (it's a family holiday and I wanted to watch a Sentai that features a family) and some Ultraman Geed. Truth be told, I have Ultraman Ace, but I'm not crazy about it. With the "two leads in one" premise I was expecting a little more character conflict. Also, I'm getting a bit tired of the requisite paramilitary organizations in these early Ultraman shows. It always feels like the same organization but with the uniforms getting sillier-looking with every incarnation. I actually bought R/B so I could see the "two leads" thing done differently.

^ I'm a sucker for the defense teams. I would watch a series that's just them fighting monsters on their own (Ultraseven is almost that, as he often takes a back seat to the team in episodes).

Ace isn't as good as Q, Ultraman, Seven or Return... but it's, I dunno... "comfy"? Is that the right word? The highlight is the surreal and over-the-top nature of the kaiju and fights.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Angilasman View Post
    ^ I'm a sucker for the defense teams. I would watch a series that's just them fighting monsters on their own (Ultraseven is almost that, as he often takes a back seat to the team in episodes).

Ace isn't as good as Q, Ultraman, Seven or Return... but it's, I dunno... "comfy"? Is that the right word? The highlight is the surreal and over-the-top nature of the kaiju and fights.
    The one I’m looking forward to is Taro. It’s supposed to be the “fairy tale” Ultraman. And I’m a sucker for fairy tales, especially Japanese ones.

It was really cool to see the new MST3K short on the Turkey Day marathon. Bill (as Crow), Josh (as Tom) and Joel (as Joel) rifled on an old short for charity recently. It was fun to see performers that never interacted in the original run.

Quote Originally Posted by AdamFTF View Post
    Hey, so it turns out that the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is kind of boring without a crowd and I can't seem to find the MST3K Turkey Day Marathon on Pluto TV (it's supposed to be channel 400, but there is no channel 400).

For future reference...

The little bit that I caught at the end of the evening was channel 488. In the "Comedy" section.

That said, I watched it on Pluto TV's website.

One other thing...

Happy holidays everybody...

So...

From the looks of things in the comments here -

https://mst3k.org/2020/11/26/turkey-...big-surprises/

The channel carrying it on Pluto TV was not actually live until later on in the day. It also got a mention in this list of viewing options. Might be handy to make note of it for the future...

https://mst3k.org/2020/11/21/how-to-...re-to-tune-in/

Didn't even realize that they are channel #336 on The Roku Channel's "Live TV..." section.

In addition, the comments here had a pretty solid "Post-Game Wrap Up..." as far as what streaming options did and did not work out for folks...

https://mst3k.org/2020/11/25/its-tur...ave-a-request/