Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default What Streaming Services Do You Have?

With everyone being at home more this year and a lot of increased competition among the various streaming services, I wanted to make a thread so we can share which ones we have, why we like them, and which ones are on the chopping block.

YouTube TV - I cut the chord and am so happy I did because the app has all the channels I watch for less than half the cost of regular cable (suck it comcast!). I like it over other competitors primarily because of the interface and dvr features.

Netflix - On the chopping block, cannot stand their quantity over quality mindset. For every 10 original shows/movies only 1 may be good. Quality is way too inconsistent and makes the service not worth it. I only picked it up again recently because I wanted to watch Blood of Zeus (really good show). Will probably cancel until Red Notice becomes available.

HBO Max - Although I can't stand Att, HBO Max has the best lineup of older content and new content since its launch. In addition to what they currently have, I'm more interested in their future releases than any other platform's. The service's launch was a hot mess and not having Roku and Fire TV support was horrible (its supported now) but imo they have the brightest future based on content alone.

Disney+ - I only have this still because of kids in the house and its nice knowing I can turn this on and there won't be any inappropriate content that pops up later. Outside of the Mandalorian, Disney isn't providing enough new content for me to want it for myself. I know they have some Marvel shows coming out soon so my opinion may change.

Prime Video - Comes with Amazon Prime and don't really watch, same issue as Netflix by not having alot of good quality shows.

Funimation - Best place to get dubbed anime

HDive - Just found it and trying it out so not much of an opinion yet
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 11-26-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Netflix, Prime Video, and HBO Max. Netflix is the only one I watch much. I like their animated shows.

I have:

Netflix, my most heavily used streaming service. It's true they do have quantity over quality, but when they make an original series that I do enjoy, I tend to enjoy it a lot.

Hulu, I only use every so often, normally to watch reruns of older shows that are on there. I am watching the Animaniacs reboot currently though.

Disney + which I used to watch quite a few Disney movies. I also enjoyed watching Hamilton with the original Broadway cast, and I've been watching some older shows I hadn't seen in years. I'm mainly waiting for the Marvel shows.

Amazon Prime Video, I've really only used for The Boys and Good Omens so far.

Crunchyroll for anime.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Just Netflix and Disney+ for now. If HBO shows up in the UK I might get it for the DC stuff.

Netflix.

No way in hell i pay for more than one of this stuff.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Pay for Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. Use each of them a little. Have Peacock for free.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Netflix's focus on quantity isn't such a bad thing IMO. For decades it was nearly impossible for new creative voices to be heard as the networks and established cable channels pumped out more and more of the same stuff from the same creators. Netflix does illustrate the principle that 90% of everything is crap... but the good 10% is stuff we never would have had the chance to see before.

My problem with Netflix is actually that they don't give enough real estate to the good shows that they do get. Unless a show is a blockbuster, the rule seems to be 20-30 episodes and done. They need to embrace long-form storytelling more.

I got Tubi. It's free. It's mostly garbage, but there's the occasional gem in there.

Every Season of Bob Ross alone is worth the download. There's also a ton of music documentaries, including the Classic Albums series.

(I have Netflix, too)

Netflix, PrimeVideo and HBOPrime. There are things on all three I watch.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Incredible Member

Netflix (mostly for older and current movies)
    Hulu (mostly for older and current movies and TV reruns)
    Disney+ (mostly for The Mandalorian and maybe the Marvel movies)
    Amazon Prime (for The Boys and some documentaries)
    HBO Max (currently can only watch on my phone but I can view regualar HBO on Roku)
    Boomerang

And of course the streaming apps that are free such as Tubi, Pluto TV, Peacock.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Synestra View Post
    I have:

Netflix, my most heavily used streaming service. It's true they do have quantity over quality, but when they make an original series that I do enjoy, I tend to enjoy it a lot.

Hulu, I only use every so often, normally to watch reruns of older shows that are on there. I am watching the Animaniacs reboot currently though.

Disney + which I used to watch quite a few Disney movies. I also enjoyed watching Hamilton with the original Broadway cast, and I've been watching some older shows I hadn't seen in years. I'm mainly waiting for the Marvel shows.

Amazon Prime Video, I've really only used for The Boys and Good Omens so far.

Crunchyroll for anime.
    I do watch the boys on Amazon as well buts that's the only thing and tbh season 2 was kind of a letdown imo.

Is animaniacs any good?

I did watch Hamilton and thoroughly enjoyed it. Maybe Disney+ should add more Broadway, that would be cool. I do want to watch the Marvel shows but am not sold 100% on WandaVision (the trailers are okay but it comes across like the show doesn't have a clear direction). Also don't know if Falcon and Bucky are able to carry a show on their own without Cap but we'll see.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    Netflix (mostly for older and current movies)
    Hulu (mostly for older and current movies and TV reruns)
    Disney+ (mostly for The Mandalorian and maybe the Marvel movies)
    Amazon Prime (for The Boys and some documentaries)
    HBO Max (currently can only watch on my phone but I can view regualar HBO on Roku)
    Boomerang

And of course the streaming apps that are free such as Tubi, Pluto TV, Peacock.
    Yeah I read that Roku and HBO Max are still fighting over the app. Glad HBO and Amazon were able to resolve it so I can stream on fire tv. Started watching Close Enough on Max and it reminds me of regular show which I thought was great.
    Last edited by ComicJunkie21; 11-27-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Pay for Netflix, Disney+, and Hulu. Use each of them a little. Have Peacock for free.
    Is Peacock any good?

I have:

- Netflix

- Hulu

- Amazon Prime

- Disney+

- Crunchyroll

- HIDIVE

- Funimation

- Tubi TV

Netflix - Mainly for my comfort TV like The West Wing, The Office, Parks and Rec, and others. With Parks and Rec gone, The West Wing and the Office leaving soon, I don't know if I'll have much use for it.
    Hulu - Don't use it too much, but it's practically free with Disney+. Currently watching The X-Files again on it and it is a great place for movies that are a bit more off the beaten path.
    Amazon Prime - Great place for movies, but likely would not have it if it weren't for the free shipping.
    Disney+ - AKA The Mandalorian channel. I'll probably watch it a lot more once the Marvel shows get there.
    HBOMax - Really solid collection of movies and shows. Probably the best streaming service point for point right now.
    The Criterion Channel - My favorite streaming service. I probably check out this one first if I'm looking for something interesting to watch.
    YoutubeTV - Mainly for live sports (the pain of dealing with baseball blackout rules), but occasionally I get nostalgic for channel surfing.