View Poll Results: Which origin for the Into the Spider-Verse sequel’s Jessica Drew is more likely?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 616 Origin for ITSV sequel’s Jessica Drew

    7 43.75%
  • Ultimate Origin for ITSV sequel’s Jessica Drew

    9 56.25%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Amazing Member Nerdman3000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    76

    Default In the future ITSV Sequel: What’s likelier, 616 or Ultimate Jessica Drew origin?

    So I’ve been thinking lately about the upcoming Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse sequel lately. Now we know Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman is supposed to be in it, but I’ve been wondering how they plan to introduce her. Now, due to the whole rights issues between Disney and Marvel, aspects of her origin I believe would need to be changed, if Sony decided to follow the 616 origin (irradiated spider serum origin that also deals with Hydra and the High Evolutionary) that is. In light of these potential rights issues concerning her origin, at least with the 616 version of the character’s origin, do anyone else think it’s more likely that ITSV’s sequel will use the Ulimate universe origin for her character (female clone of Peter Parker), especially since that version of the character is the one who is arguably more tied to Miles Morales comic’s origin?

    As a side question, if Sony does go with the clone origin for Jessica Drew, how do you think that will effect comic 616 Jessica Drew, if the average person becomes more familiar with the idea of Jessica being a female clone of Peter than with the original 616 version? Especially if said version (the one based on the Ultimate origin) becomes popular?
    Last edited by Nerdman3000; 11-26-2020 at 09:25 PM.

  2. #2
    Really Feeling It! Kevinroc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    8,417

    Default

    Probably something closer to her 616 origin (minus any mentions of Hydra or SHIELD or The High Evolutionary).

  3. #3
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60,296

    Default

    I guess it depends on what kind of Jessica Drew they want in the movie.

  4. #4
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess it depends on what kind of Jessica Drew they want in the movie.
    I honestly doubt it'll be clone Jessica though, we're using the multiverse, why bother with a clone when an universe with a Spider-Woman as the main one can be used?

    Anyways, I get the feeling that Jessica will be involved with Alchemax to replace Hydra.

    Have they hinted who'll be the protagonist by the way? Get the feeling it's gonna be Gwen, but who knows.

  5. #5
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    I honestly doubt it'll be clone Jessica though, we're using the multiverse, why bother with a clone when an universe with a Spider-Woman as the main one can be used?

    Anyways, I get the feeling that Jessica will be involved with Alchemax to replace Hydra.

    Have they hinted who'll be the protagonist by the way? Get the feeling it's gonna be Gwen, but who knows.
    Miles will probably still be the lead in the sequel, but the Spider-Women movie will have Gwen as the main character (if that's still happening).

  6. #6
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    I mean, I'm sure they mentioned that it would focus on Miles and Gwen's relationship so I wouldn't count on either to be frank. if anything, based on the ending, I'd say Miguel would likely be the third "new" focus character. Blend in a time travel aspect and loosely adapting that storyline Bendis and Jason Latour had wrote for their crossover.

    Also I know a lot of people are fond of Ultimate Jess, I am too, but I think people should probably give up on the pipedream of her being a major player in the comics anymore. I mean, I just doubt they're going to bring a clone of an alternate universe Peter who also shares another mainline universe character's name. It'd be like expecting Ultimate Kate Bishop to make a comeback.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

  7. #7
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    25,015

    Default

    Actually, it would be fun to see Kate meet her Ultimate counterpart - they're complete opposites. 616 Kate is a hero, but 1610 Kate was loyal to HYDRA. How would Hawkeye react to seeing an evil version of herself?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  8. #8
    Better than YOU! Alan2099's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    4,377

    Default

    I think the Ultimate version of the character carries just a little too much baggage.

  9. #9
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Actually, it would be fun to see Kate meet her Ultimate counterpart - they're complete opposites. 616 Kate is a hero, but 1610 Kate was loyal to HYDRA. How would Hawkeye react to seeing an evil version of herself?
    In hindsight, that whole Ultimate Kate Bishop thing was so random.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,847

    Default

    I'd rather see Ultimate Jessica, but I'm honestly not sure which they the filmmakers would go.

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    In hindsight, that whole Ultimate Kate Bishop thing was so random.
    Yeah, it's a really "in name only" thing.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  11. #11
    Astonishing Member Lukmendes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Miles will probably still be the lead in the sequel, but the Spider-Women movie will have Gwen as the main character (if that's still happening).
    Well I'd be surprised if Miles isn't a lead in a sequel, but I was talking about the Spider-Women one lol.

    But yeah, probably gonna be Gwen, was just wondering if they were maybe not going for the obvious.

    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Yeah, it's a really "in name only" thing.
    Not that Ultimate ever cared about being faithful adaptations of 616 shit, they used popular names and basically flipped a coin to see if they'd bother to give a personality that is even remotely similar to 616 counterparts, for better and worse, that was part of Ultimate's appeal.

  12. #12
    Astonishing Member CrimsonEchidna's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,724

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Well I'd be surprised if Miles isn't a lead in a sequel, but I was talking about the Spider-Women one lol.

    But yeah, probably gonna be Gwen, was just wondering if they were maybe not going for the obvious.
    If you're talking about the proposed Spider-Women film I'd assume it'd be Gwen, Cindy, and 616!Jess. Maybe as Mayday or Annie May.

    I'm still not exactly hopeful that the Spider-Women movie is actually going to happen though. Sony has a habit of putting their cart before the horse, going off about all these sequels and spinoffs after the success of the first movie. I'd wait to see how the actual sequel performs before banking on the Gwen spinoff. Especially now with the entire movie industry getting kneecapped by Covid.
    The artist formerly known as OrpheusTelos.

  13. #13

    Default

    You could merge them- have a classic 616 take on Jess as Spider-Gwen's mentor but reveal that she is a female clone of Peter that just got older.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member WebLurker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    7,847

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    Not that Ultimate ever cared about being faithful adaptations of 616 shit, they used popular names and basically flipped a coin to see if they'd bother to give a personality that is even remotely similar to 616 counterparts, for better and worse, that was part of Ultimate's appeal.
    Not saying it was a problem (Ultimate Katie worked for her purposes, as does 616 Kate), just more that I don't see the characters as counterparts, unlike, say Ultimate Maria Hill with 616 Maria.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

  15. #15
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    60,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonEchidna View Post
    If you're talking about the proposed Spider-Women film I'd assume it'd be Gwen, Cindy, and 616!Jess. Maybe as Mayday or Annie May.

    I'm still not exactly hopeful that the Spider-Women movie is actually going to happen though. Sony has a habit of putting their cart before the horse, going off about all these sequels and spinoffs after the success of the first movie. I'd wait to see how the actual sequel performs before banking on the Gwen spinoff. Especially now with the entire movie industry getting kneecapped by Covid.
    Lauren Montgomery was attached to it, so I'm wondering if they've done any preliminary work at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not saying it was a problem (Ultimate Katie worked for her purposes, as does 616 Kate), just more that I don't see the characters as counterparts, unlike, say Ultimate Maria Hill with 616 Maria.
    Well other than looks and being authority figures, Ultimate Hill is like the exact opposite of 616 Hill .

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •