Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'd settle for them slowing down on the superfluous new characters and plot lines. Just pick a focus and stick with it. I'd prefer they put focus back on "The Team" (who really should have an actual name by now) or Garfield's Titans (Because, let's be real, that's what they are). Have the season 1 crew officially pass the torch to the new generation and settle into the mentor role like they've already kinda started to do.
    It was kind of weird how first the Team isn't all that relevant, then when they start to be relevant again all the "big guns" form their own group and they call that the "Outsiders" instead of using it for the actual Outsiders, and basically supplants the team in terms of focus.

In translation I feel like the show is a little all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It was kind of weird how first the Team isn't all that relevant, then when they start to be relevant again all the "big guns" form their own group and they call that the "Outsiders" instead of using it for the actual Outsiders, and basically supplants the team in terms of focus.

In translation I feel like the show is a little all over the place.
    Weisman bit off more than he can chew with S3 and I have a bad feeling he’s going to do the same with S4. Also I can’t stress enough how I hate all the meme words like “aster” and “whelmed”, feels like a boomer trying to imitate those damn millennials and their lingo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Weisman bit off more than he can chew with S3 and I have a bad feeling he’s going to do the same with S4. Also I can’t stress enough how I hate all the meme words like “aster” and “whelmed”, feels like a boomer trying to imitate those damn millennials and their lingo.
    I don't know. Those words are just obnoxious enough for some millennials to use. And I say that as a millennial.

As for season 3, I thought it was mostly well done even if there were some flaws. It isn't perfect but nothing really is.

I feel like the show tried to straddle the line between being accurate to youth culture while still being kind of cringey about it. It probably depends on you personal taste.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

As much as I feel the same way, I wonder if it's because I'm outside the target demographic. It sounds pretty awful, though. Their attempt to make Dick come across intelligent and funny just didn't work for me. He seemed like someone playing at both without getting either.

I don't like the show.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

I seem to recall whelmed was pretty popular when season 1 was being broadcasted.

I, personally, never had a problem with Dick's little word quirks. It was silly. But as far as running gags go, it was pretty harmless. Added some charm to his character. Not that someone like Dick Grayson needed that but it helped make an already endearing character even more endearing. Now what I did find annoying at first was Bart's future lingo. But I kinda get used to it over time.

Someone's not feeling the aster...

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    As much as I feel the same way, I wonder if it's because I'm outside the target demographic. It sounds pretty awful, though. Their attempt to make Dick come across intelligent and funny just didn't work for me. He seemed like someone playing at both without getting either.

I don't like the show.
    I’m a “zoomer” or a millennial depending on who you ask so I’m right in the demographic this show targeted. The lingo just feels cringe to me now. I liked S1 & S2, but S3 felt like a decline quality wise. Part of it is that what seemed fresh and new at the time (Darkseid is coming!) is now just old hat. Everything DC does in outside media has Darkseid as the big bad these days, it’s just not as exciting anymore. Their Vandal Savage is great though, absolutely one of the highlights of the show and I’m super thankful their Joker was so bad they used him once and never again. I’ll stick with S4 to see if the Legion is handled well but Weisman needs to finish the Darkseid plotline up already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Someone's not feeling the aster...
    I’m crashing the mode bro!

I’m a “zoomer” or a millennial depending on who you ask so I’m right in the demographic this show targeted. The lingo just feels cringe to me now. I liked S1 & S2, but S3 felt like a decline quality wise. Part of it is that what seemed fresh and new at the time (Darkseid is coming!) is now just old hat. Everything DC does in outside media has Darkseid as the big bad these days, it’s just not as exciting anymore. Their Vandal Savage is great though, absolutely one of the highlights of the show and I’m super thankful their Joker was so bad they used him once and never again. I’ll stick with S4 to see if the Legion is handled well but Weisman needs to finish the Darkseid plotline up already.
    I've noticed a tendency for the lesser names on the show to end up being more memorable than the "big names," aside from, I guess, the main stars.

Their big "fight" at the end of the season is basically just a goofy gag more than it is an actual fight, and because they ran out of budget it was mostly a bunch of still shots.
    I vaguely remember thinking that season 3 fights were weaker, 'cause I remember going back to season 1 at some points while/after watching season 3 and think something like "Damn, the fights are much worse now".

Though I thought it was only because of the art style change, didn't know budget was a problem too, so it's more understandable.

They would really have to time jump to where we can believably get the Super Sons and the other kids as active heroes. I think we're maybe 2 more seasons away from that happening.
    Legion's time travel could be used to have an aged up Jon even without a time skip at least.

As much as I love the YJ universe and love that Damian and Jon exist in it, I reeeeally don't wanna see them making a major appearance anytime soon unless like...time travel is involved. I've never been a huge fan of the between season time skips that the show does. Between seasons 1 and 2, I was mostly okay with. But I didn't really care for them doing another one in between seasons 2 and 3, and I'm really not looking forward to the one we're about to get for season 4 (they say it's not a big one but like...how small are we talking?)

There are just...way too many moments in those time skips that I would like to have actually seen instead of only experiencing them through Easter Eggs and exposition.
    What, you're telling me that stuff like Death in the Family and Killing Joke happening off-screen with no explanations whatsoever is lazy writing? How dare .

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Time skips, relationship drama and an overcrowded cast are the biggest flaws of the YJ cartoon.
    I rewatched season 1 a few days ago, it lacks those issues, even the relationship drama since Superboy/M'gann **** doesn't take too much screen time, even less when it's about the bad stuff.

I'd like to add the villains too as another flaw, while over time The Light got some nerfs, they still have too much advantage and have rather bland personalities, which sucks because season 1 was a bit better because Klarion and Queen Bee had more focus, so it made the personalities look less interchangeable.

Yeah when being overused they could feel annoying, but when used sparely it was fine, plus since Dick is the one who started it and the others wondered what was up with that, it was just Dick's way of playing with words, which hey, not far fetched lol.

I, personally, never had a problem with Dick's little word quirks. It was silly. But as far as running gags go, it was pretty harmless. Added some charm to his character. Not that someone like Dick Grayson needed that but it helped make an already endearing character even more endearing. Now what I did find annoying at first was Bart's future lingo. But I kinda get used to it over time.
    Bart's shocking lingo is pretty shway man .

I've noticed a tendency for the lesser names on the show to end up being more memorable than the "big names," aside from, I guess, the main stars.
    And then there's Orm, who's a lesser name (Compared to A-listers), and is unmemorable as ****, hell, most unmemorable member of The Light even .

Either way, maybe it's because the characters are lesser names that the writers are more willing to risk the personality changes? Trying to change the personalities of A-Listers can have controversies, but there aren't gonna be as many for lesser known characters.

I’m crashing the mode bro!
    Firmly millennial (woefully 31) here but some of my contemporaries think that show is just the tops. They're wrong, but they share a delusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Firmly millennial (woefully 31) here but some of my contemporaries think that show is just the tops. They're wrong, but they share a delusion.
    I'm the same age as you.
    Last edited by Jackalope89; 12-05-2020 at 12:58 PM.

I'm 25. I remember watching the show when I was still in its original intended age group .
    Quote Originally Posted by Lukmendes View Post
    And then there's Orm, who's a lesser name (Compared to A-listers), and is unmemorable as ****, hell, most unmemorable member of The Light even .

Either way, maybe it's because the characters are lesser names that the writers are more willing to risk the personality changes? Trying to change the personalities of A-Listers can have controversies, but there aren't gonna be as many for lesser known characters.
    ...At least he got the Aquaman movie.

I'm 25. I remember watching the show when I was still in its original intended age group .

...At least he got the Aquaman movie.
    He stole the show, partly because Mamoa is not a great actor, but he was rad in that movie at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I'm the same age as you.
    These years are not getting easier, dude. We gotta slow this **** down.