Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BANNED

I might take a passing interest in it for my own amusement IF Mal Duncan used the Horn Blower identity : )

I'm curious to see how Ridley depicts them in The Other History of the DC Universe, but in general I'm down for more Karen and Mal .

Amazing Member

^ I cannot wait for that issue but I have a strong feeling that (fairly or unfairly) the Titans are not going to come off well in it. IIRC Karen's whole purpose in becoming Bumblebee was to show Mal that the Titans weren't treating him as their equal, and that is obviously going to be fertile ground for Ridley to explore. Plus there's the whole getting dumped by their friends for years during the whole NTT period and then after they were injured in 'Infinite Crisis'.

Mighty Member

I would read it, as I'm a fan of Bumblebee.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with Vox but he sounds like a cool character, so I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by The no face guy View Post
    I would read it, as I'm a fan of Bumblebee.

To be honest I'm not that familiar with Vox but he sounds like a cool character, so I'm in.
    Using the Vox code name would be ok as well (way better than The Herald or Hornblower). I would definitely do away with him requiring a voicebox and just give Mal sound manipulation powers. It would be more in line with his original gimmick. Maybe a mix of Banshee and Vibe’s powerset. Mal Duncan was DC’s first black superhero, so it would be pretty cool to somehow make the original character concept work. The Vox version of Mal was the best revamp so far.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    It would be more in line with his original gimmick.
    Not really, originally he didn't had a gimmick.
    Six years (and almost 20 issues) after his introduction he got "Gabriel Horn" but it iirc was never really made clear what that thing could do, and 8 issues later Teen Titans was cancelled anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    Plus there's the whole getting dumped by their friends for years during the whole NTT period and then after they were injured in 'Infinite Crisis'.
    There was iirc also a time during the first series where the team disbanded (and the book was on an hiatus for a couple of years) and Mal was left behind to take care of their headquarter...
    Last edited by Aahz; 11-28-2020 at 03:50 AM.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Isn't he called Vox now?
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

It can work from a story standpoint but I'm not sure about sales.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Sales seems pretty unlikely, I mean once in while you get a surprise hit like Tom Kings Mr. Miracle, but usually mini-series with smaller characters don't move big numbers.

Maybe if it is Ink, Zoom, Black Label or an other kind of more prestigious format.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The usual suspects along with folks who would scream HOW DARE DC does this. Yet those would be the SAME folks who were praising Dc for Adam Strange and Question getting books.

At most I would say do it and tell those folks-if you don't have an issue with the likes of Question or Sugar & Spice getting shots-you shouldn't complain about this.

The world will not end if you choose to not buy it or ignore it.

If sales are going to be an issue-send that book to the Black Label or do an OGN.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    ^ I cannot wait for that issue but I have a strong feeling that (fairly or unfairly) the Titans are not going to come off well in it. IIRC Karen's whole purpose in becoming Bumblebee was to show Mal that the Titans weren't treating him as their equal, and that is obviously going to be fertile ground for Ridley to explore. Plus there's the whole getting dumped by their friends for years during the whole NTT period and then after they were injured in 'Infinite Crisis'.
    I foresee it being like Ridley handled Jefferson, where he calls out how the heroes are acting but it's mainly driven by the protagonists viewpoint and not necessarily a whole summation of how we should actually view the Titans or the main heroes.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I don't see why not. They are certainly the best characters to come out of the much maligned 70s era and are still better characters than any of the post-Perez creations in Marv's NTT.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Not really, originally he didn't had a gimmick.
    Six years (and almost 20 issues) after his introduction he got "Gabriel Horn" but it iirc was never really made clear what that thing could do, and 8 issues later Teen Titans was cancelled anyway.

There was iirc also a time during the first series where the team disbanded (and the book was on an hiatus for a couple of years) and Mal was left behind to take care of their headquarter...
    Wow I really didn’t know that he was Guardian before he was The Herald. I totally thought that was in reverse.

So yeah, definitely keep him as The Guardian or even a new code name, but stick to him just using the exo-suit and forget about the horn.

Last edited by Robotman; 11-28-2020 at 06:31 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    The usual suspects along with folks who would scream HOW DARE DC does this. Yet those would be the SAME folks who were praising Dc for Adam Strange and Question getting books.
    The majority of people who wouldn't buy a title with these two would almost certainly be made up mostly of people with the regular and healthy sensibility of simply not having any interest in purchasing products starring these characters (which is where I would fall). And there's nothing wrong with that.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

At most I would say do it and tell those folks-if you don't have an issue with the likes of Question or Sugar & Spice getting shots-you shouldn't complain about this.

The world will not end if you choose to not buy it or ignore it.

If sales are going to be an issue-send that book to the Black Label or do an OGN.
    How do you even come up with these wild generalizations?