Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Pretty sure any character(s) could have a good mini-series as long the team working on the book put in the effort to create a good story that people would have an interest in reading.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    Wow I really didn’t know that he was Guardian before he was The Herald. I totally thought that was in reverse.

So yeah, definitely keep him as The Guardian or even a new code name, but stick to him just using the exo-suit and forget about the horn.

Has a legacy character ever had a more tenuous connection to their predecessor than "I kinda liked their costume". LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Blacula View Post
    Has a legacy character ever had a more tenuous connection to their predecessor than "I kinda liked their costume". LOL
    A few actually. Kate Spencer, Manhunter, put together her costume in a police evidence room.

Extraordinary Member

Wow I really didn’t know that he was Guardian before he was The Herald. I totally thought that was in reverse.

So yeah, definitely keep him as The Guardian or even a new code name, but stick to him just using the exo-suit and forget about the horn.
    He got the Horn one issue later iirc.
    And whe he got it he became "Hornblower" and not Herald.
    And apparently he changed back to Guardian for the last 2 issues of the book.

I think "Herald" was only used in the few cameos he had post crisis.

Btw. from what I can tell he had actually more appearances in the time frame before he had a codename and a costume, than he had in any of his identities.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I'm curious to see how Ridley depicts them in The Other History of the DC Universe, but in general I'm down for more Karen and Mal .
    After reading the last first issue of this series, I'm wondering if the main concept behind is to highlight poor creative choices made by DC in the 70', 80's and 90's.
    Last edited by Aahz; 11-29-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Amazing Member

I actually have no doubt Ridley is going to address Mal's crises of identities in the next issue of 'Other History...' so we'll see if that helps us decide which role is best for him.

Huh, this isn't too far off from how it happened in Young Justice, come to think of it.

The closest we had to Guardian in the Teen Titans cartoon (where Mal was Herald) was Private Hive.

Extraordinary Member

I believe Herald was an identity retcon given to him post-Crisis because the Guardian identity and Hornblower identity was retcon out for him.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I believe Herald was an identity retcon given to him post-Crisis because the Guardian identity and Hornblower identity was retcon out for him.
    I'm not exactly sure when he changed to "Herald", but Guardian was iirc given back to the clone(s) of the original Guardian and neither the Hornblower name nor the costume were that great (like I said before he switched back to Guardian after a few issues back in teen Titans).

Amazing Member

The Herald codename/costume retcon occurred in 'Secret Origins' Annual #3 (the Teen Titans issue), as did costume retcons for Bumblebee and Golden Eagle. All were improvements IMO.

Astonishing Member

Mal look fantastic as the Guardian.

what a loss.

Extraordinary Member

I'm really wondering how they are going to handle Mal's orgin story in "The Other History of the DCU".

The whole thing is tied to the start of an era of Teen Titans, that is basically the equivalent to Wonder Womans "Mod Phase", where the Titans ditched their costumes, stopped using there powers and tried to be relevant...

Which probaly on of the main reasons, why his powers are so poorly defined and they never really sattled on a identity and costume for him, since he was originally not supposed to have that.

Mighty Member

I wasn't aware of this either but I agree keep him as the Guardian. The Guardian is a cool character with a solid recognizable uniform. I would like to see this.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    Of course it could.
    Unfortunately, there is a snowball's chance in Hell of ever seeing one!
    The Titans franchise has pretty much been completely burnt to the ground and it's remaining ashes pissed all over.
    Maybe if they appear in the TV series there would be a slim shot - but mate I wouldn't hold my breath!
    I'm pretty sure the Titans TV show already skipped over them. And if they were ever to appear in the Arrowverse, Mal would have to be Vox or Herald - Guardian has been used already, for Jimmy Olsen of all people.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Falz View Post
    The majority of people who wouldn't buy a title with these two would almost certainly be made up mostly of people with the regular and healthy sensibility of simply not having any interest in purchasing products starring these characters (which is where I would fall). And there's nothing wrong with that.
    Not gonna lie... I'd be guilty of it. I don't have any particular attachment to Bumblebee and Mal, and well their power set doesn't really catch my attention. Not that I don't want them to have a maxi-series; they've got fans and they could probably sustain a 12/18 ish series. I mean, Honor Guest did it (even if plenty of peoples seems to make her African when she is Polynesian, but that's another story altogether) so obviously those two can do that. The problem is, what story to tell with them ? From the very little I know about them, they would rather work in a more domestic, down to Earth story, because it's their relationship which each other which is their main selling point, right ?

With the way comics have been going, I'm not sure it's really what DC nor most readers would be interested in publishing/reading about