Default Prime Tyson vs. Prime Ali

Victor by KO only. Who takes it?
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Hmm, juicy.

My thought? I feel like Ali in his prime takes the majority against Tyson in his prime. Ali in his prime was almost godlike. Height, reach, speed, footwork. Unorthodox combinations. Oh, and psychologically getting to his opponents? He was not only born to be a fighter, but had all the physical attributes to be the greatest. Also, tremendous damage soak (See: Foreman part II). Speed and skill trumps power in this match up.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Fantastic Member

This is how I define their primes.

For Ali, it was before he was forced to relinquish his title, so 1964-1967. Prime Tyson had Kevin Rooney in his corner, so 1986-1988. I'm only basing my answer on what they accomplished in those years.

For a knockout, I'd go with Tyson. Ali had 10 fights as champ during his prime. Only three of them ended in knockouts. Four were TKOs, two were unanimous decisions and one (Liston 1) was a retired.

Mike had eight fights as champ during his prime. Only one (Michael Spinks) ended in a KO. Five were TKOs and two were unanimous decisions.

Young Ali would take Mike seriously, probably as seriously as he took Sonny Liston. Young Tyson was fast - not Ali fast, but still quick and disciplined and hit like a mule with both hands. Young Ali wouldn't lay on the ropes and let Tyson wear himself out. Ali was much too skilled in his younger days for that. He would dodge and weave and do his best to stay out of range while firing quick jabs and volleys.

The first round (and only the first round) of Tyson's fight against Tyrell Biggs gives a possible glimpse of what might have been. Yes, I'm comparing Biggs to Ali. Sorry, but if you watch that round, you'll see why I make the comparison. Biggs couldn't maintain the pace; young Ali would have been able to do so.

Young Tyson would just keep coming forward and I think he'd ultimately catch Ali, daze him, and then put him down for a 10-count, though it's hard to even type those words. I love both fighters and definitely think prime Ali could also beat prime Mike - but it would be a TKO because a cut had opened over his eye rather than a knockout.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

I'd likely give a slight edge to Ali based on reach, endurance and an absolute iron jaw. Prime Tyson was ridiculous, though, incredibly quick, incredibly powerful and incredibly tough in his own right. It's not a stomp for me either way, but in a pretty equal match, I'd favor the taller, heavier guy. Ali maybe 5.5/10 or 6/10. Ali isn't going to KO Tyson, Tyson will probably KO Ali a time or two out of 10, and I'd favor Ali on points decisions, especially because he'd have somewhat superior endurance towards the end of matches.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    I'd likely give a slight edge to Ali based on reach, endurance and an absolute iron jaw. Prime Tyson was ridiculous, though, incredibly quick, incredibly powerful and incredibly tough in his own right. It's not a stomp for me either way, but in a pretty equal match, I'd favor the taller, heavier guy. Ali maybe 5.5/10 or 6/10. Ali isn't going to KO Tyson, Tyson will probably KO Ali a time or two out of 10, and I'd favor Ali on points decisions, especially because he'd have somewhat superior endurance towards the end of matches.
    All good points, especially about stamina. While they had the same number of unanimous decisions, Ali's went 15 rounds, while Tyson's went 12.

One knock on the what I defined as Ali's prime is that he didn't beat anybody of note during that time, other than Liston (which IS a very big deal) and Ernie Terrell. He beat an old Floyd Patterson and a bunch of other guys who were well past their prime. He had three consecutive fights against guys with 11 or more losses.

You can tell that boxing's governing bodies had greater influence during Tyson's era. He beat champions Trevor Berbick (31-4-1 coming into the fight) and James Smith (19-5), and then fought Pinklon Thomas (29-1-1), Tony Tucker (34-0), Tyrell Biggs (15-0), an old Larry Holmes, Tony Tubbs (24-1) and finished with Michael Spinks (31-0).

Astonishing Member

Ali in his prime is too big and too skilled and unlike ninety percent of the people Tyson beat isn't a tomato can or a washed up drug addict.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

I read this as "Prince Ali," and couldn't remember if he any feats beyond being as strong as ten regular men.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    I read this as "Prince Ali," and couldn't remember if he any feats beyond being as strong as ten regular men.
    Well he faced the galloping hoards, and a hundred bad guys with sword