Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The story seems like a modern retelling of Nathaniel Hawthorne's Rappaccini's Daughter, the biggest influence in Ivy's creation. So it's perfect for her in many ways.

Once you have an hour to spare, watch this 1980 television movie based on the original tale, which still holds well after 40 years.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think they've been interesting and fun to read. They're still Superhero stuff in the content depending on what your reading, so I don't think it's gone that far off-brand.
    Depends some are good, and make imo a good job in creating a YA version of the character (like for example the Raven, Beast Boy and Cassandra Cain ones), but some like Gotham High go to far of the rails, or at least (for example the romance heavy ones like Victor and Nora) in a direction that people who these books are appealing to will probaly never really find the regular comics with this character appealing or the other way arround.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Depends some are good, and make imo a good job in creating a YA version of the character (like for example the Raven, Beast Boy and Cassandra Cain ones), but some like Gotham High go to far of the rails, or at least (for example the romance heavy ones like Victor and Nora) in a direction that people who these books are appealing to will probaly never really find the regular comics with this character appealing or the other way arround.
    TBF the romance/tragedy angle of Mr. Freeze IS the most appealing part of him and what helped boost his popularity in BTAS. It was so good that they copied it even for Doc Ock in Spider-Man 2 and people who didn't know the Freeze origin raved about THAT villain's backstory thinking it was a first for superhero stories.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    TBF the romance/tragedy angle of Mr. Freeze IS the most appealing part of him and what helped boost his popularity in BTAS.
    Maybe but doesn't change the fact that at least for me an ~200 page romance comic without any crimefighting is just boring.

And anyone who is into such a comic is probaly not really gonna get much out of any of Mr. Freeze last appearences in the main continuity comics.

Maybe but doesn't change the fact that at least for me an ~200 page romance comic without any crimefighting is just boring.

And anyone who is into such a comic is probaly not really gonna get much out of any of Mr. Freeze last appearences in the main continuity comics.
    We here are most decidely not the target market for any of DC's YA or kids stuff. I'm sure they'll be happy to sell them to people like us, but if they only reach people like us the project will have failed in its purpose.

I'd also argue that if new fans of Ivy—or Mr. Freeze—that come from these books fail to find the main continuity books appealing, that's not a problem for the YA books, or the new fans. It's a problem for the main continuity books.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member

But then the question is why use DC characters and not something original, or resrect some of their romance comics from back in the day.

And I think it is kind of a problem for the YA books, since most of these bocks are one shots, so someone who gets interedsted in a character based on on of these books, hasn't really anything to continue reading.

Those issues are not going to be winning any Eisners TBH. The last interesting Freeze appearance in main continuity was in King's run which was all about Victor's trauma regarding Nora. The most interesting Freeze appearance this year was in the Harley Quinn show where it was all about his undying devotion to his wife. So there is plenty of content for Victor/Nora fans if they wish to seek it outside of the gateway YA graphic novels.

But then the question is why use DC characters and not something original, or resrect some of their romance comics from back in the day.

And I think it is kind of a problem for the YA books, since most of these bocks are one shots, so someone who gets interedsted in a character based on on of these books, hasn't really anything to continue reading.
    Because the idea behind the characters still are relevant and can reach new people, even if the takes in DC's main continuity cannot?

And the latter is arguably a problem for DC. But it's not a problem with the YA line. (To be fair, I probably should have used with instead of for earlier.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Gotham High could get pretty random (although my main problem is the bad guy gets away with it because Bruce couldn't keep it in his pants), but I guess it comes down to a matter of taste.

I'm a romance fan and I feel like as long as you have the essence or ethos of the character intact, you can tell any kind of story with them.

I do agree that most of them being origin stories can be disappointing when there's nothing that follows up on it (although the Teen Titans books connecting into a new series does show it can be done), but still, if they like the character, they may be interested in seeing other stories about them, even if they're not direct continuations.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I do agree that most of them being origin stories can be disappointing when there's nothing that follows up on it (although the Teen Titans books connecting into a new series does show it can be done), but still, if they like the character, they may be interested in seeing other stories about them, even if they're not direct continuations.
    But in case of poison Ivy or Mr. Freeze which other stories are there?

The stories being told in these graphic novels ?

Stuff in the mainline comics.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Extraordinary Member

There exactly many stories with Freeze as protagonist.

There are some with Ivy, but it will be pretty hard to track them down.