Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-New Member

Default Poison Ivy: Thorns - A new YA book by Kody Keplinger and Sara Kipin.

Poison Ivy: Thorns - A new YA book by Kody Keplinger and Sara Kipin is coming out this June!
    https://vinesnroses.blogspot.com/202...k-by-kody.html

Ivy finally gets her own young adult graphic novel. I think Gothic is a good fit for her .

All-New Member

It sounds like a queer gothic romance book. I agree it fits and think it will make all fans happy.

Quote Originally Posted by rosenrose View Post
    It sounds like a queer gothic romance book. I agree it fits and think it will make all fans happy.
    If Alice Oh ends up being a love interest, which seems like, then yeah. I'm happy see Pam with a love interest that's not Harley .

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's good she's getting back out from Harley's shadow but I work she's getting to where the only Ivy stories told are about who she is dating.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's good she's getting back out from Harley's shadow but I work she's getting to where the only Ivy stories told are about who she is dating.
    I think it's just a result of the young adult genre and less Ivy herself. As long as she's depicted well and in-character, I'm good .

It's a YA thing (I mean, almost all the DC YA graphic novels I've see have put in a love story somewhere down the line). I doubt this one's for me (didn't really like the Mr. Freeze one that much), but I'm sure it will be interesting to those onboard with the premise.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Sounds great! Big Poison Ivy fan, so I can't wait for its release.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think it's just a result of the young adult genre and less Ivy herself. As long as she's depicted well and in-character, I'm good .
    Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    It's a YA thing (I mean, almost all the DC YA graphic novels I've see have put in a love story somewhere down the line). I doubt this one's for me (didn't really like the Mr. Freeze one that much), but I'm sure it will be interesting to those onboard with the premise.
    Oh, it's definitely a YA thing, but even so. I must have some sort of brain damage because I could have sworn Ivy was once a character who had agency, could bring Gotham to its knees and didn't actually need anyone to be a complete character. DC keeps publishing to the contrary, so while I can't really hold it against this book (again, it's in the YA line which generally come across as tangentially related to the classic interpretations at best, and I don't mean that as a dig against them) it is more of the same.

I don't think there's any real hope for Ivy. She's been claimed by a fandom that refuses to let her be an actual villain anymore, which feels like a reduction of the character since without that, yeah, I guess all she's got is her personal relationships and a weaker form of Swamp Thing's skillset.

I hope this book's great for the audience it's courting. Some of these YA books have been pretty fun even though I'm far outside the target demographic, but this one's a pass from me.

Oh, it's definitely a YA thing, but even so. I must have some sort of brain damage because I could have sworn Ivy was once a character who had agency, could bring Gotham to its knees and didn't actually need anyone to be a complete character. DC keeps publishing to the contrary, so while I can't really hold it against this book (again, it's in the YA line which generally come across as tangentially related to the classic interpretations at best, and I don't mean that as a dig against them) it is more of the same.

I don't think there's any real hope for Ivy. She's been claimed by a fandom that refuses to let her be an actual villain anymore, which feels like a reduction of the character since without that, yeah, I guess all she's got is her personal relationships and a weaker form of Swamp Thing's skillset.

I hope this book's great for the audience it's courting. Some of these YA books have been pretty fun even though I'm far outside the target demographic, but this one's a pass from me.
    We'll see. Could be less about Ivy's supervillian career and more of a possible origin story for her (like what the Joker movie was, except for kids). I mean, most of these graphic novels have been alt-universe origin stories of one kind or another.
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Well, they're going for Gothic Horror so I assume there'll be a little "monster" in the depiction of Ivy's powers here.

I remember the Harley one depicted her as the protagonist and that she was trying to do good, but was ultimately still a criminal at the end of the day.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think that these kind of books are a good idea.

Even in the YA stuff it should imo be still about super heros and villains, that's the core of DCs brand.

And some of this stuff goes just way to far into "really wired fanfic AU" territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Even in the YA stuff it should imo be still about super heros and villains, that's the core of DCs brand.

And some of this stuff goes just way to far into "really wired fanfic AU" territory.
    I think they've been interesting and fun to read. They're still Superhero stuff in the content depending on what your reading, so I don't think it's gone that far off-brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

I take it all case by case in terms of success and as a place for more experimental storytelling or ideas. Granted, I haven't read all of them and some are better then others, but it's a good business plan; they could be gateways for new readers. (Will concede that some authors seem to be trying to do something more then YA fiction and others seem to go for a well-polished take on the usual. Marako Tamaki's stuff has been the best of the former, and I've liked Kami Garcia for the latter.)
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Good characters are flexible enough to work in different genres.