Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    If we're going to go down the fantasy route of how to displace Kate so Ryan can replace her - just fucking kill her already. Pretend promotions are not a kindness.
    you can see it as a "fake promotion" if you want, I see it as finding an alternative niche using concepts she already has going on; not the same thing. nor do I see the point of killing a character just because their not wearing the same costume. "fake promotion" feels like one of those trite terms like "pet characters", "filler", and "[x character] is taking up space".
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 12-06-2020 at 01:09 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Meh, I'm not a fan of lumping Babs and Cass, who are the most important batgirls, with any and all female d listers in Gotham. Babs is near her 30's, she should retire the bagirl moniker and be allowed to evolve and grow into Oracle. The way I see it, if dc really isn't ready to have Babs retire vigilantism full time, she can be like Sage in the x-men where her primary role is to be "the guy in the chair" and she sometimes joins field mission when the needs call for it. The same can happen with Babs except she doesn't go back to batgirl when she's on the field she stays oracle.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by frostedemma View Post
    Meh, I'm not a fan of lumping Babs and Cass, who are the most important batgirls, with any and all female d listers in Gotham. Babs is near her 30's, she should retire the bagirl moniker and be allowed to evolve and grow into Oracle. The way I see it, if dc really isn't ready to have Babs retire vigilantism full time, she can be like Sage in the x-men where her primary role is to be "the guy in the chair" and she sometimes joins field mission when the needs call for it. The same can happen with Babs except she doesn't go back to batgirl when she's on the field she stays oracle.
    She is 23

She will never be 30 or grow
    DC is forever static

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    She is 23

She will never be 30 or grow
    DC is forever static
    Which is funny. She was originally 24 when she debuted.

Astonishing Member

To be fair, DC only plans for Batgirls seems to be Barbara, Cassandra and Stephanie (who is also an important Batgirl).

Other female characters in a League of Batgirls are just a wish from their fans.

Honestly, DC doesn't seem to have interest on Cassandra as the only Batgirl. Even if they retire Barbara from Batgirl, Cassandra will likely still share the mantle with Stephanie.

PS: Current Barbara isn't 30s, she is 20s.
    Last edited by Konja7; 12-06-2020 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    Ryan Wilder - Batwoman: newest member with the least experience still finding her footing. She'll start off as more of the heavy of the group, the hot-head brawler, but that'll start to be more refined as she starts to expand her niche into something more unique.

extended members/allies:
    Kate Kane - Brightbat (they gonna hate me, but hear me out): I would have The Colony return as a black ops outfit under A.R.G.U.S run by Kate to check (but actually to provide support to) the Batfamily. She would act as the Batfamily connect to the US government, providing intel for espionage and things like that. On a more personal level, she would also train and mentor Ryan Wilder as her successor and I would build that relationship in order to hopefully calm the sigma of simply being replaced. While not a costumed hero anymore, because she doesn't need to anymore as an government op, but her codename (should she be in the field) would be Brightbat. [note: I'm not saying she shouldn't be Batwoman, this is just how I'd make her and Ryan co-exist.]

you can see it as a "fake promotion" if you want, I see it as finding an alternative niche using concepts she already has going on; not the same thing. nor do I see the point of killing a character just because their not wearing the same costume. "fake promotion" feels like one of those trite terms like "pet characters", "filler", and "[x character] is taking up space".
    If you're going to quote someone do it properly, I said pretend, not fake. Putting a character out to pasture is not an alternative niche, it's erasure into limbo-land.

On a more personal level, she would also train and mentor Ryan Wilder as her successor and I would build that relationship in order to hopefully calm the sigma of simply being replaced.
    She was already training Bette, and last seen Bette was in West Point with Kate apparently approving of the move. Any left-over baggage with her previous trainee should be sorted-out before bringing in a new one.

In cannon Kate was said to have only been Batwoman for 2 years during the start of Rebirth. Comic-wise she's only been around 14 years, she's relatively new and was really starting to pick up - now suddenly a whole bunch of people want to replace her because an actress quit.

While not a costumed hero anymore, because she doesn't need to anymore as an government op, but her codename (should she be in the field) would be Brightbat. [note: I'm not saying she shouldn't be Batwoman, this is just how I'd make her and Ryan co-exist.]
    Which equals replacement.

(they gonna hate me, but hear me out)
    What I don't take kindly to is pretending replacing Batwoman doesn't come at the expense of another character and their fanbase. It does, and pretending that said fanbase should be happy with whatever consolation crumbs we're handed is just a slap in the face. This isn't character evolution, there was no plan moving forward for Kate - only her expulsion.

How about we just be honest from now on. You want Ryan, I want Kate. Unless they both get to be Batwoman neither is happy. I'll not come up with insulting alternatives roles for Ryan (not that I was doing that anyway), and you'll not do that with Kate.

Incredible Member

i agree with this. Babs s mission control, cass is the muscle, bette is the team doctor and aerial support (she has a jetpack) while steph is the improviser
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

"Quit? Like hell I will"- Bette Kane, Beast Boy #3

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    She was already training Bette, and last seen Bette was in West Point with Kate apparently approving of the move. Any left-over baggage with her previous trainee should be sorted-out before bringing in a new one.
    Bette needs to drop out of West Point and she and Kate need to deal with their issues
    "Everything doesn't have to be about fear. There's room in our line of work for hope, too"- Stephanie Brown, Batgirl Vol 3 #5

For the heck of it, from the final page of The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13 (January 2012),

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    For the heck of it, from the final page of The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13 (January 2012),

I love that panel! BETTE IS THERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    Well, she might not have been a "Batgirl",
    but Betty/Bette was "Bat-Girl" (back before Babs became "Batgirl").

Dc is forever not going to have that happen. I mean Babs is just suppose to be isolated. The few times are with BoP. I do wish they had the Supergirl and Batgirl friendship which would have stopped that isolation

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukiakari1203 View Post
    I've seen just the panel and clipped to pull out Xanadu. I never knew it was from a story, just thought it was 'art'.

Essentially there are the Batgirls, no matter what they have become.
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Well, she might not have been a "Batgirl",
    but Betty/Bette was "Bat-Girl" (back before Babs became "Batgirl").
    Say aren't you the person who showed an older, one-shot, previous Batgirl, from the '50s, "Roberta" ?
    ~ Oberon ~
    Comic-book reading Witch and Pagan since 1970
    I came for Kate, I stayed for Bette Love Fantastic Four, Namor, Batwoman, Dr.Strange.... i love them all

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    I've seen just the panel and clipped to pull out Xanadu. I never knew it was from a story, just thought it was 'art'.

The All-New Batman: The Brave and the Bold #13 (January 2012)

That was a fun little series!