Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Most disliked repeated storyline

We all know some storylines gets repeated over and over again. Usually because the first time it was popular.

What are some of your least favorites - either because you think they are holding back a specific character, or because you didn't like it the first time, or just because you're tired of repetition?

Raven - Am I evil because my father is a demon.
    Cyborg - Am I more man or machine?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    Raven - Am I evil because my father is a demon.
    Definitely two that were in the forefront of my mind. Gotham city getting taken over by baddies is another I don't need to see again.

-Batman vs. Superman

-Themyscira getting invaded, destroyed, or Themyscira invading the world. Add on "The Amazons are a bunch of misandrists".

-Storylines for Zatanna that center around Zatara being gone.
    Last edited by Gaius; 11-29-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Any Robins having "daddy issues" with Batman.

BANNED

Ocean Master taking the throne with a plan to attack surface dwellers. I guess I don't think it's bad or anything, but...From a certain point of view, it seems like there's like...one Aquaman story. Or at least one that people feel like telling.

Incredible Member

EASILY.

The character is full of vast potential and writers (save David Walker) keep saddling him with this tired BS.

It's 2020.

Real people are happily volunteering to have damaged hands and feet removed for superior A.I. supported prosthetics that work as well or better than the original body part. If that's where we are as a species in real life what about the fictional character that can grow laser based weapons from his arms, replace body parts at a whim and fly?
    Don't complain. Create.

Quote Originally Posted by Customizer View Post

EASILY.

The character is full of vast potential and writers (save David Walker) keep saddling him with this tired BS.

It's 2020.

Real people are happily volunteering to have damaged hands and feet removed for superior A.I. supported prosthetics that work as well or better than the original body part. If that's where we are as a species in real life what about the fictional character that can grow laser based weapons from his arms, replace body parts at a whim and fly?
    I agree the storyline is overdone and needs to never be done again. I don't agree that Vic should be happy about being a cyborg from day one or that there should be no drawbacks or that he shouldn't actually look like a cyborg (at least a first - enhancements later maybe to have different "modes"). Those are foundational aspects of the character and taking them away makes him a very different character. It's like making Ben Grimm be like "what downside? - this is awesome." Remember, too, that Vic didn't choose this. It was done to him without his input. Hell, I can also point to people have had mental health issues involving transplants. Sense of self is just a complicated and variable thing.

And, really, what percentage of people want undamaged body parts replaced with cybetnetic ones, especially when no one else is doing it (making them stand out). It's certainly not zero, but it's not the majority, either. Right now, at least, most people want their own functional body parts more than cybernetic enhancements. That may change with time, of course. And Vic's were damaged, so he couldn't have that, anyway. But he can still be angry/upset that he can't have that, in the early days. Which are long past.

So, I think it was a great storyline and remains a great storyline as something that happened in his past, not something that he's still dealing with. Though dealing with how others treat him would sometimes still be a thing.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 12-02-2020 at 02:58 PM.

Batman distancing himself from his family and acting like a jerk only to have to learn not to be a jerk and bringing his family back in the fold.