Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

The gods have all been been slain/slaughtered/abandoned the Amazon’s. Superman’s origin. Batman’s origin. The emotional spectrum.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Buy this issue, a character DIES!!!
    By this issue for a character's triumphant return from the grave!!!

And for the last 15 years - Eobard Thawne is the culprit of EVERYTHING!!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Extraordinary Member

The Titans fighting Trigon.

Bane trying to Break Batman.

Barbara Gordon/Jason Todd having to relive TKJ/DitF in some form.

Robin (any of them) getting fired.

Gotham getting taken over by villains

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Gotham getting taken over by villains
    This is a big one. Every Batman writer is required to do this story it feels like.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Oliver Queen cheats on Dinah Lance. It's never been done well and if he must be a hypocrite, I'd rather it be a one-percenter doing his best to be the voice of the common man who eventually has to reconcile that rather than "but I also cheat on the love of my life because I literally hold nothing sacred and I'm a gigantic jackass." There's nothing likable about an Ollie who cheats and is also a massive hypocrite in his beliefs.

John Stewart mopes about Xanshi and ensures his characterization hits "repeat" for another two years.

Batman can't trust anyone and must learn to trust again.

"Get this surface loving fake king out of Atlanti-- ARTHUR HELP! ALL HAIL THE TRUE KING, ARTHUR CURRY! ... Get this surface loving fake king..." EVERY TIME.

Evil Superman. Please. STOP.

For that matter, "who does Diana hook up this week? Batman or Superman?"

Cyborg "am I a man or machine? What does it meeaaaan" Bro, you're not a janky 80s RadioShack science project anymore. You look sleek as hell, your tech is more sensitive than we are and the only reason you can't replicate a human visual is your writers won't let you think about holograms. This narrative is holding him back. You can do it during a long run, but don't start with it. The best take on Cyborg since NTT is on the Doom Patrol TV show because, yes, while he questions his existence he also has a lot of charisma and never lets his humanity get lost in the machine. Jeez. Robotman has played with this arc better than Vic has and ever will because unlike Vic, Cliff can't actually see the one human aspect of himself (his brain) and even that got taken away from him to where he's just a backup drive of his personality now. Vic will never go that far, nor will he return to human, so stop whining about it and find a new take where he can finally embrace his new self.

Hawk origins. Hawks apart. Both are tired. Let's tell stories about them as a team again. Please.

Batgod punching above his paygrade. Let it die. Please. He has the most actual superpowers of any hero and unlike the rest of them he never gets taken down a peg. He's not your seat at the table of gods and never was.

Rebooting the Legion of Super-Heroes. It's been a few weeks, did they reboot again? At this point I want a maxi series where each issue is a reboot.

Barbara dealing with The Killing Joke. When they took her out of the chair, they lost all right to keep calling back to that story because all it does is remind you how strong a character she used to be and how little she's done since. If you guys wanted to get out from under that particular gun for so long, commit and tell new stories. I wasn't crazy about Burnside but at least it was divorced from The Joker from what I understand.

DC's quarterly execution of a Titan, former or current.

All I've got at the present.

When I opened this thread I had few ideas, but they have been posted multiple times already by others. And you guys have posted lots of them, lots. Makes me wonder if all of them combined wouldn't cover something like 70% of DC's output.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Oliver Queen cheats on Dinah Lance. It's never been done well and if he must be a hypocrite, I'd rather it be a one-percenter doing his best to be the voice of the common man who eventually has to reconcile that rather than "but I also cheat on the love of my life because I literally hold nothing sacred and I'm a gigantic jackass." There's nothing likable about an Ollie who cheats and is also a massive hypocrite in his beliefs.
    Especially since the first instance of him "cheating" was being raped by Shado.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Basically any Joker story.
    All Joker stories nowadays are the exact same anyway.

Amazing Member

Ray Palmer shrinking down and disappearing for a while.
    "Wonder Woman killed Max once so now he's her villain forever instead of being a villain to the two men he actually has an interesting dynamic with."

Also you'd think that you wouldn't have repeated storylines with a character with only 100 issues but
    "JSA: Can we really trust Brainwave Jr. after all he's the son of one of our worst villains and-
    Hank: -goes mad or gets possessed by Mister Mind-
    JSA: That is our boy and we're going to get him back/take over his treatment plan because he is one of our kids.
    Hank: -gets better and starts operating as a hero again-
    JSA: Can we really trust Brainwave Jr. after all he's the son of one of our worst villains and-"
    is really starting to get a little bit annoying.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    I kind of miss Stories like Joker Fish, him trying to Film a Movie during Knightfall or building a Joker Land somewhere in South Amerika.

Quote Originally Posted by vasir12 View Post
    True! About a month ago I rewatched "the Laughing Fish" and was astounded to find that I actually really like Joker when he's being funny and not trying to destroy the bedrock of Batman's life or the soul of Gotham or whatever.

Other things I totally agree with in this thread:

• Superman turning Evil
    • Superman origin stories
    • Cyborg's semi-annual "Man or Machine" angst. Actually can we bring back his power to turn totally mechanical or totally organic at will? That was awesome and unique and totally fixed that dumb recurring arc.
    • Amazons are violent and monstrous and just hate men and oh my god this is so boring. Let's bring back the utopian Amazons who ride giant kangaroos.
    • Superman must fight / be / otherwise deal with Doomsday in the Biggest Epic where Death is on the line. I'm okay with Doomsday being a quasi-recurring figure or idea but rehasing the Death is a waste.
    • Raven turning evil.
    • Batman being a dick.
    • Green Arrow being a dick.
    • Any story that flirts with the idea of J'onn J'onzz being evil. To be fair this has only happened a few times but I'm already sick of it.
    • Superman or Batman needing to defend their No Killing Rules against critics? These rules ultimately exist to make the characters more kid friendly, and to have Batman brush right up against it by breaking every bone in Joker's body but refusing to kill him because this is a Serious Story for Serious Grown-Ups, totally defeats the point of the No Killing Rule. At that point, that's way more gruesome than just letting him carry a pistol.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

BANNED

Batman and his suicide tendency and his anti-social tendency.
    Evil Superman.
    Wonder Woman origin reboot.
    Flash and his lack of speed that he can't save anyone, his dead mother, and Eobard Thawne.
    Legion of Superheroes reboot.
    Aquaman lost his kingdom for the nth time.
    Cyborg and his identity crisis.
    Raven and his identity crisis.
    Green Arrow cheats Dinah and being a dick in general.
    Joker story that drums into same note: Joker screw Batman, Batman depressed, Joker torment Batman's family, Batman beat Joker, rinse and repeat.

Amazing Member

Ted Kord dying, Ted Kord dying being treated as a constant of the universe, writers making jokes about Ted Kord being shot in the head so it seems like he's about to die again.

Extraordinary Member

Nabu or the Specter turning evil.

"The Guardians of the Universe, who created the Green Lantern Corps and have been working for the greater good for millennia are actually small-minded, out-of-touch control freaks!" I think we can blame O'Neil for that one. (and our culture's general disillusionment with authority) At this point, it would be more of a surprise if they turned out to actually do something good without an ulterior motive.