Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pulp Purveyor & Noir Nut FiveGhosts's Avatar

Question Thoughts on Mister Miracle?

I'm interested in Mister Miracle more than the other characters in Kirby's Fourth World universe, and I wanted to see if anyone can recommend a particular run? Best writer or artist? Just curious...

Astonishing Member

The original run was of course excellent; subsequent continuations of that run (by Gerber and Englehart) weren't terrible, though they were very different.

Morrison's Mister Miracle mini series.

And then a lot of people like the Evanier/Rude Mister Miracle Special issue.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

I'd add in Walt Simonson's Orion 25, which may be Scott Free's most poignant story even if he's in a supporting role.

Retired

I liked John Byrne's JACK KIRBY'S FOURTH WORLD.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I'd add in Walt Simonson's Orion 25, which may be Scott Free's most poignant story even if he's in a supporting role.
    And while we're at it, the backup from Orion 10 (I believe), written by Simonson with art by Art Adams.

Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deniz Camp View Post
    And while we're at it, the backup from Orion 10 (I believe), written by Simonson with art by Art Adams.
    Oh, yeah, definitely. There's nothing that can bring a tear to your eye faster than a good "boy and his dog" story... even if it's a giant, cosmic, god-slaying dog.

One of my favorite characters, whether its Scott or Shilo. The Seven Soldiers mini is a particular favorite, especially as a precursor to Final Crisis. I'm reading the Tales of the New Gods trade right now, collecting the backup stories from the 90's. I also have the Kirby omnibus volume 2 and and the black and white trade featuring Mister Miracle issues 11-18 waiting to be read. Read the Jimmy Olsen trades ages ago. Love me some New Gods.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Oh, yeah, definitely. There's nothing that can bring a tear to your eye faster than a good "boy and his dog" story... even if it's a giant, cosmic, god-slaying dog.
    Hell, I was tearing up at the main story, the one about a dog and his murderously enraged god of war.

BANNED

he is one of my favorite DC heroes.

the original run was classic. it would be great if they gave him a new on going, that was like the original run.

can i suggest kieth giffen and jm de matties' justice league international?

sorry, but that's the only series that i think i read that has mister miracle in it. it might not be that... uhmm... action oriented, but i enjoyed reading them.

oh yeah, oberon is part of the main cast in jli.

Quote Originally Posted by liwanag View Post
    can i suggest kieth giffen and jm de matties' justice league international?

sorry, but that's the only series that i think i read that has mister miracle in it. it might not be that... uhmm... action oriented, but i enjoyed reading them.

oh yeah, oberon is part of the main cast in jli.
    Yup, forgot to mention that one. He works great on a team. Bummed out he didn't show up in JLA. It was strange seeing Barda and Orion without him.

i have just been catching up on dc's october and november solicits. it seems that the new gods will go head to head against the green lanterns.

i hope scott free would play a major role in that arc.

A moment of stupidity I'd like to share with you: I only just realized the pun of Scott Free's name the other day. As if the moniker of worlds greatest escape artist hadn't tipped me off previously lol.

I haven't been a big fan of many of the New 52 costume redesigns but I really love the tweaks made to Mister Miracle's costume.

Another vote for Morrison's Mister Miracle during Seven Soldiers and followed up in Final Crisis. That's where I discovered my fandom for him.