Default Gandalf vs. The Didact

LoTR vs. Halo.

Arena.

Yes, very weird match up, I know.

1: Book Gandalf the White

2: Movie version
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Hey Arby, haven't seen you in awhile. Where you been?

The uh... the one who can casually slap around, and restrain a Spartan-II with TK.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

Feats for the Didact?
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Feats for the Didact?
    Completely manhandling Master Chief, both physically, and with TK.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Completely manhandling Master Chief, both physically, and with TK.
    My issue is that when Gandalf the GREY pulls out all of the stops, there's lightning wreathing a mountaintop. He also survives fighting with a Balrog - grappling with it - while on fire, hitting water at terminal velocity, then fighting against said Balrog underwater for an extended period.

Then fighting more, with lightning and fire and so forth.

For days and days on end.

This is Gandalf the White, who is a cut above the Grey.

How this works against the Didact, I don't know, but let's not just count him out because he doesn't have a lot of feats - the ones he has are pretty freakish.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

My issue is that when Gandalf the GREY pulls out all of the stops, there's lightning wreathing a mountaintop. He also survives fighting with a Balrog - grappling with it - while on fire, hitting water at terminal velocity, then fighting against said Balrog underwater for an extended period.

Then fighting more, with lightning and fire and so forth.

For days and days on end.

This is Gandalf the White, who is a cut above the Grey.

How this works against the Didact, I don't know, but let's not just count him out because he doesn't have a lot of feats - the ones he has are pretty freakish.
    Oh I don't disagree necessarily, but with Master Chief being some measure of bullet timing (low-end), and strong enough to ignore blows from dudes capable of headbutting their way through 20+ tons of stone... Gandalf has his work cut out for him.

Arx Inosaan

BANNED

If we follow the books, Gandalf is supposed to win here because we count Silmarillion. I supposed it's stated that he is actually a Maiar. He is second only to abstract being and supposed to control the smaller aspect of LotR Universe. But, if we count by movie, Gandalf will be smoked by Didact.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    If we follow the books, Gandalf is supposed to win here because we count Silmarillion. I supposed it's stated that he is actually a Maiar. He is second only to abstract being and supposed to control the smaller aspect of LotR Universe. But, if we count by movie, Gandalf will be smoked by Didact.
    Here's an important point that needs to be made. 'Gandalf' is not Maia. Olórin - that is to say, the dude that Manwë stuffed into a physical form named 'Gandalf' (among other things), explicitly limiting his power - was a Maia (and presumably becomes so again when he goes back to the Undying Lands at the end of Lord of the Rings). Gandalf (ie, Olórin in that limiting body) is of the Istari, ie the group of five Maiar who were stuffed into physical forms (I go into some detail in that link regarding how Tolkien described that in his essay, 'The Istari' EDIT: screw it, here also, same thread) and sent back, limited, to advise and assist the people of Middle Earth.

Gandalf's power is limited to what we actually see him do; it is not the equal to a full-on Maia, because Gandalf, like all of the Istari, is noted as being subject to the frailties of mortality and having his power capped (for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is Manwë and Varda saying 'we don't want repeats of the last few times powers clashed on Arda, so no head-to-head crap.' Plus others, including it really having become Not Their Business™ anymore).

And even among Maiar and Valar there are different power levels. A single Maia isn't exactly a world-shaker, unless it's Arien and she brings her home with her.

In any case, here we're explicitly talking about Gandalf the White who, while still closer to Olórin than he was as 'the Grey', is still not the equal to Sauron. He's basically somewhere 'above' a version of himself that was capable of grappling for an extended period with a Balrog (while it was burning), doing similarly underwater (edit: after they slammed into that water at terminal velocity), chasing it up a mountain-sized stairway (possibly taking breaks to chat about the old days?), then whaling on each other for days, such that a top of a mountain was occluded by a storm of fire and lighting that would have been visible for leagues.

It's...impressive.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 11-30-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    Why are we here?

Feats for the Didact?
    Spartan II's are Class 10 bricks with low end bullet timing and enough durability to walk away from orbital reentry (this may 10 count them, but they are combat ready after waking up).

The Didact, unarmed, beat 4 of these guys to death with his bare hands.

He can also manipulate gravity fields to mimic what is essentially TK and this is strong enough to completely restrain Chief and toss him like a leaf in the wind.

He also survived a grenade detonating under his armor, against his body, though this did 10 count him.

He can also teleport but I don't think he can spam it.

His armor has a shifting shield configuration that will block any energy based weapon's second shot if he survives the first. Think like Borg shields.

He is like 12 feet tall or something.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    Hey Arby, haven't seen you in awhile. Where you been?
    Hey man. Just busy. Keeping safe and fending off insanity and all that. =) Hope you are good!
    - big_adventure

Welcome back Arby!!
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Welcome back Arby!!
    Thanks man! =)
    - big_adventure