Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default A major change to Superman / Supergirl

If another full line reboot came up, I could go with an idea I read in a Legion thread.

Would you accept a rewrite making Supergirl / Kara an actual SISTER of Superman / Clark instead of cousins?

True, it would be a huge switch. Maybe the it would change their whole dynamic and integrate her more into the main Superman books.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post
    If another full line reboot came up, I could go with an idea I read in a Legion thread.

Would you accept a rewrite making Supergirl / Kara an actual SISTER of Superman / Clark instead of cousins?

True, it would be a huge switch. Maybe the it would change their whole dynamic and integrate her more into the main Superman books.
    No, her thing is Superman's cousin. She's invested in that. But...it's not a bad idea, but IMO if done at all, it should be done to Power Girl, who really is the oddball in the sort of Superman Family, along with revising her origin to the main earth. She could use it, Supergirl not only doesn't need it, it would probably hurt her. I mean there was a movie and a TV show that established her as Superman's cousin, along with so many years of comics. And she's about as integrated into the Superman Family as possible; she's probably the most important member aside from Superman himself.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I think Zor-El and Allura provide an interesting alternate flavor on Jor-El and Lara, so I wouldn't want Supergirl as his sister. She's his cooler older aunt who used to change his diapers, and was charged with taking care of him but bad luck intervened.

Hm. The odd thing is that it feels like a major change yet at the same time it doesn’t. I’m not really sure how this would majorly change the dynamic between Kara and Kal. They’re already family, she already remembers him as a baby, she was sent here to look after him. What does making Kara his sister really give that she doesn’t already have as his cousin? If you’ve got a neat direction to take this that I can’t see, I don’t have any strong objection to it.

Astonishing Member

I could picture it as part of streamlining the number of survivors. Making them siblings makes it more plausible that it was just the ONE spit-shine-and-bailing-wire hail-mary pass of a rocket escaping as Krypton died.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I think Zor-El and Allura provide an interesting alternate flavor on Jor-El and Lara, so I wouldn't want Supergirl as his sister. She's his cooler older aunt who used to change his diapers, and was charged with taking care of him but bad luck intervened.
    Basically this, and ultimately it would force Kara to be a little more attached to Kal.

Letting her be his cousin allows for more flashback stories where Kal, Jor and Lara not be considered. It gives them more room to work with her. It's kind of a wash otherwise. I just don't see in any way how it helps Kara out.

I don't think there's a good argument for making her Kal's sister. I don't see what it would change. They're already each others' only living relative, so it wouldn't make them closer or anything like that.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    I could picture it as part of streamlining the number of survivors. Making them siblings makes it more plausible that it was just the ONE spit-shine-and-bailing-wire hail-mary pass of a rocket escaping as Krypton died.
    That ship sailed decades ago, and not enough people liked it to keep it. And...it would mean getting rid of Supergirl, not changing her name a bit. You don't "streamline" the Kryptonians in the DCU and leave one or two or whatever.

Astonishing Member

How would that work? Jor-el and Lar put their two kids Kal and Kara into the rocket, and then the Kents find it and adopt them both? Anyway, I don't see what would be gained by it. Kara as the older cousin who actually grew up Kryptonian whereas Kal did not, and who on earth is the younger one who is still working to get adjusted to a strange new world, offers more possibilities than making them siblings.

BANNED

I think that what OP said can be done through space and time shenanigans where Clark's ship went through some warp zone or black hole, so it went to Earth faster than Kara, who traveled through normal circumstances. But, I think the normal approach is far better for Clark and Kara's dynamic. Kara, who is an older cousin and knew more about Krypton than Clark, will have a clashed ideal where they need to reconcile slowly. Clark, who grew up with humans, will have human logic, while Kara will adhere the Krypton's idea and view. I like that dynamic the most about them.

But, at the same time, I think the OP idea is interesting too. If we look at Supergirl: Being Super, it can be used in tandem with that story, resulting in a female Superman without the need to gender-bent the character and giving a fresh new look into the story of Superman.

BANNED

In other publications, like Supreme, Supergirl is Ethan's sister.
    And it doesn't change that much of the dynamic for Superman/Supergirl dynamic.

What it could hurt is Supergirl's own supporting cast.
    It's down to how much you want Supergirl to be her own thing.
    Also, I'd say it's down to how much you like the idea of "Last Son of Krypton"

Fantastic Member

No!! Keep her superman's cousin!! Why is there a need for Supergirl to play more of a role in Superman main comics??? Supergirl has her own comic book series let her stay in her own comic.

In terms of character dynamics, Kara basically is Clark's sister, but I think giving her her own parents lets her standout a little more on her own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

My question is does he have to be alien? What if he was born on earth and was merely TOLD he was an alien but he was actually the product of his "father"'s experiments on his natural mother's still-born fetus. If he learned of such at say 20 would he still go on to be good? Or would he go bad?

Maybe in an alternate universe where both Kara and Kal have blond hair lol