Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Why is WW fighting street levelers from other heroes rogue galleries lately?

Do we know why a so called Goddess is fighting these street levelers from other rogue galleries, instead of easily dealing with them and then moving on to bigger threats?

And why do we have to keep seeing that silly sword and shield literally getting in the way in almost every fight? Why does WW have super powers these days, if all they do now is sword and shield? If they want xena, then just go all the way and remove her powers. At least then her current adventures would make more sense. Because there is no other way i could see a God like being with Godly weapons feeling so underwhelming while facing peak humans and just above peak human level opponents.

Mighty Member

Because she only seems to get writers who are not suited to write a character like Wonder Woman, and because DC never did anything to keep her consistent in any way, she is portrayed as ridiculously weak in her own series since a good while by now.

What street levelers from whose rogues galleries?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    What street levelers from whose rogues galleries?
    Roulette was in Agent of Peace a week ago, and Count Vertigo in her main book. And that's just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Roulette was in Agent of Peace a week ago, and Count Vertigo in her main book. And that's just recently.
    Not even just that.... look at the level of suspense/action in the main title. Diana has been fighting no name mercs, robots, and goons of minor street level villains on the main title for a majority of the Rebirth reboot.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Not even just that.... look at the level of suspense/action in the main title. Diana has been fighting no name mercs, robots, and goons of minor street level villains on the main title for a majority of the Rebirth reboot.
    I mean, there's a difference between her fighting some mook like Count Vertigo (I say this as a CV fan) and fighting one of her own street-level rogues like Dr. Poison or Blue Snowman that have histories with her.

Don't forget deathstroke in the next issue of rebirth.

K.
    I like Roulette and Count Vertigo. Agent of Peace is a great read.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Is there really any wonder why Wonder Woman routinely gets the shaft with respect to who she fights, or even with respect to her powerset?

I have consistently asked for her to be portrayed as the powerhouse that she should be, and the only time I can find that with any consistency is in the DC animated universe, with her first solo movie being an exception to this. Otherwise, in the animated universe they tend to do her right.

But if we keep accepting the drivel they give us without letting them know with our pocketbooks that we are pissed, then nothing much is going to happen.

For as much as people loved her 1st live action movie (I am included in this), they still nerfed her by not allowing her to fly and using that stupid sword and shield to make her look like a superpowered Xena. Maybe she flies in her next movie which would be awesome, something I would love to see, but if it is because of armor and not because of an innate ability in her, then I will be severely disappointed. Web slinging on lightning bolts, while visually looks great, is not my idea of how Diana should get around in the air. Plus, if the plot that has been leaked is to be believed, she is going to be depowered for much of the movie so the strength feats that at least some of us want to see probably won't be there. Again, it might look like to some that she is in the street fighter mode instead of Superman powerhouse mode.

Mighty Member

Vertigo's abilities are pretty useful for supers and street levels alike...However the problem here is that Dr Psycho can also do the off balance thing to Diana. I have NO problem with Diana fighting street levelers (I always found power debates boring...with the exception of popular characters [Bat related] ALWAYS punching above their weight class), my problem is that Diana doesn't fight HER street levelers. (Heck the power debates can explain why Diana's unique rogues barely get used, kind of similar to how Superman's rogues are often underappreciated if they don't either have kryptonite or get to goofy levels of blowing up planets with a finger)

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Vertigo's abilities are pretty useful for supers and street levels alike...However the problem here is that Dr Psycho can also do the off balance thing to Diana. I have NO problem with Diana fighting street levelers (I always found power debates boring...with the exception of popular characters [Bat related] ALWAYS punching above their weight class), my problem is that Diana doesn't fight HER street levelers. (Heck the power debates can explain why Diana's unique rogues barely get used, kind of similar to how Superman's rogues are often underappreciated if they don't either have kryptonite or get to goofy levels of blowing up planets with a finger)
    I have a problem with high tiers fighting street levelers, or any character in general punching above their weight class when there is no real explanation that can make the story have a real meaning and feel organic instead of forced. That is the problem with Wondy lately. Not only she doesn't feel like the powerhouse she used to be by facing street levelers, the way the whole thing is executed is so poor. That there is no real explanation to how these street levelers are causing problems to a God like being with God like weapons. And as a result, the stories are just anti climatic. If she was fighting her own street levelers, and the story had a a good plot explaning how they managed to find a way to challenge her in one way or another. I would be singing a different tune. But as thigs stand. She feels underwhelming in most fights, while fighting opponents far below her league that aren't even her own villains. And without any real good plot presenting this far physically outclassed opponents in a situation where they find a way to threat her. The quality of the writing is lacking in every sense. But apparently, we should feel satistifed with just seeing her there, moving that generic sword and shield everytime, because oh that is so "cool" and "badass".

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Because she only seems to get writers who are not suited to write a character like Wonder Woman, and because DC never did anything to keep her consistent in any way, she is portrayed as ridiculously weak in her own series since a good while by now.
    I have seen some of the writers that have writen her in her solo and JL. Writing other powerhouses and doing a much better job. So the question is why they feel the need to portray WW as weak, while they fill their mouth talking about how powerful she is being a Goddess and all.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

This is why I do not like the Sword and Shield. It's a lowkey "nerf" to her powers. Every time she has them you can't see her depict her full strength, agility, or abilities. The recent preview for JL Endless Winter doesn't have her with the S&S and guess what? She's kicking ass and knocking people off their feet.

It's also stupid because DC is not going to show WW cut people in half or kill them with the sword. I'm glad WW84 ditched them.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    But it's not DC. You were the one who said here that she should be weaker than sm and sg. As far as DC goes. WW is above sg, since she has better feats, has defeated sg in combat and is consisntently called the strongest heroine by DC.

As for superman. It's also DC who constantly says she is in his power tier. But they haven't shown it for a while. So yes, i think they should put their money where their mouth is.

The treatment of her villains is pretty much the same issue. But a heroe is as good as his/her villains. If WW barely gets any respect in terms of power these days, how can i expect better for her villains? Remember that they also allowed WW to get shot and almost die from that in one jl issue. So it is a never ending circle, and i can't understand why none of the heads at DC puts even the slightest effort into trying to do better with her verse.
    Part of the thing is that DC keeps taking stuff from Clark and giving it away piecemeal. He keeps getting scaled back, his unique quality of being the inspiration of the Legion got given to Jon, his villains are given to Kara in the TV show and the Justice League in comics. He lost his intelligence. He isn't first (this was given to other heroes Post-Crisis and it's Diana now), etc.

The one thing fans and DC generally let him keep is his strength. Of Earth's heroes, he benches the most. It's the one thing he still gets to be the best at, so a lot of his fans don't want to see it go and see the OG of the genre reduced to "the guy who is pretty good at stuff but not the best at anything" when he spent his entire career taking something from his plate and handing it off so others can be stronger for it. He already feels like Boxer from Animal Farm with how often TPTB mangle him in adaptions and have him lose to everyone.

I know Diana gets humbled a lot. I'm not here to say she isn't, but she already would absolutely wreck Superman's ass in fighting ability. For my money, she doesn't get pierced by bullets (and I ignore books where she does) so really his raw stats are kind of all Clark's got going for him. He started the genre's boom. Diana and Bruce are direct responses to him. It's not wrong to want him to still be special in-universe just like how even people who may actually have reason to be more effective than Diana (like some should with Clark) generally are expected/desired to lose to her because, well, she's Wonder Woman.

To answer the OP, modern DC thinks and has conditioned readers so they only care about street level heroes/villains, so perhaps they think it'll help boost her signal.
    Last edited by Robanker; 12-02-2020 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post

Part of the thing is that DC keeps taking stuff from Clark and giving it away piecemeal. He keeps getting scaled back, his unique quality of being the inspiration of the Legion got given to Jon, his villains are given to Kara in the TV show and the Justice League in comics. He lost his intelligence. He isn't first (this was given to other heroes Post-Crisis and it's Diana now), etc.

The one thing fans and DC generally let him keep is his strength. Of Earth's heroes, he benches the most. It's the one thing he still gets to be the best at, so a lot of his fans don't want to see it go and see the OG of the genre reduced to "the guy who is pretty good at stuff but not the best at anything" when he spent his entire career taking something from his plate and handing it off so others can be stronger for it. He already feels like Boxer from Animal Farm with how often TPTB mangle him in adaptions and have him lose to everyone.

I know Diana gets humbled a lot. I'm not here to say she isn't, but she already would absolutely wreck Superman's ass in fighting ability. For my money, she doesn't get pierced by bullets (and I ignore books where she does) so really his raw stats are kind of all Clark's got going for him. He started the genre's boom. Diana and Bruce are direct responses to him. It's not wrong to want him to still be special in-universe just like how even people who may actually have reason to be more effective than Diana (like some should with Clark) generally are expected/desired to lose to her because, well, she's Wonder Woman.

To answer the OP, modern DC thinks and has conditioned readers so they only care about street level heroes/villains, so perhaps they think it'll help boost her signal.
    She has been dealing with street levelers for a while and sales aren't boosting. Plus other powerhouses are not being treated like this at DC.

I'm not even asking to see her wrecking superman. I just want to see what DC says she is(and used to be). And that is a powerhouse Diana. I want to feel the epic and powerful action in big adventures. DC keeps saying how she is so powerful and skill, yet they show almost nothing outside of sword and shield. My issue is that i'm tired of empty promises. Tired of being deceived by DC. If they want Super human xena, fine i like xena. But i want them to be honest. Don't want them to keep promesing things that aren't their real intentions for the character. Don't keep telling us that she is very poewerful Goddess that can face big threats on her own, only to constantly water down her power in any event that would call for her so called Godly power.