Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Default Why is WW fighting street levelers from other heroes rogue galleries lately?

Do we know why a so called Goddess is fighting these street levelers from other rogue galleries, instead of easily dealing with them and then moving on to bigger threats?

And why do we have to keep seeing that silly sword and shield literally getting in the way in almost every fight? Why does WW have super powers these days, if all they do now is sword and shield? If they want xena, then just go all the way and remove her powers. At least then her current adventures would make more sense. Because there is no other way i could see a God like being with Godly weapons feeling so underwhelming while facing peak humans and just above peak human level opponents.

Mighty Member

Because she only seems to get writers who are not suited to write a character like Wonder Woman, and because DC never did anything to keep her consistent in any way, she is portrayed as ridiculously weak in her own series since a good while by now.

What street levelers from whose rogues galleries?

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    What street levelers from whose rogues galleries?
    Roulette was in Agent of Peace a week ago, and Count Vertigo in her main book. And that's just recently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Roulette was in Agent of Peace a week ago, and Count Vertigo in her main book. And that's just recently.
    Not even just that.... look at the level of suspense/action in the main title. Diana has been fighting no name mercs, robots, and goons of minor street level villains on the main title for a majority of the Rebirth reboot.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Don't forget deathstroke in the next issue of rebirth.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightoya View Post
    Because she only seems to get writers who are not suited to write a character like Wonder Woman, and because DC never did anything to keep her consistent in any way, she is portrayed as ridiculously weak in her own series since a good while by now.
    I have seen some of the writers that have writen her in her solo and JL. Writing other powerhouses and doing a much better job. So the question is why they feel the need to portray WW as weak, while they fill their mouth talking about how powerful she is being a Goddess and all.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

This is why I do not like the Sword and Shield. It's a lowkey "nerf" to her powers. Every time she has them you can't see her depict her full strength, agility, or abilities. The recent preview for JL Endless Winter doesn't have her with the S&S and guess what? She's kicking ass and knocking people off their feet.

It's also stupid because DC is not going to show WW cut people in half or kill them with the sword. I'm glad WW84 ditched them.

Quote Originally Posted by masterwitcher88 View Post
    Not even just that.... look at the level of suspense/action in the main title. Diana has been fighting no name mercs, robots, and goons of minor street level villains on the main title for a majority of the Rebirth reboot.
    I mean, there's a difference between her fighting some mook like Count Vertigo (I say this as a CV fan) and fighting one of her own street-level rogues like Dr. Poison or Blue Snowman that have histories with her.

I mean, there's a difference between her fighting some mook like Count Vertigo (I say this as a CV fan) and fighting one of her own street-level rogues like Dr. Poison or Blue Snowman that have histories with her.
    Yes, but my point is that not only she is fighting street levelers. They are not even her own and there is no real quality writing coming up with a logical way for them to cause her problems. A Goddess should not have any difficulty fighting these type of opponents, unless there is concrete context behind that gives us an explanation. Otherwise, with the level of powrer she is supposed to have and those Godly weapons she has, dealing with them should be easier than taking a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I have seen some of the writers that have writen her in her solo and JL. Writing other powerhouses and doing a much better job. So the question is why they feel the need to portray WW as weak, while they fill their mouth talking about how powerful she is being a Goddess and all.
    But enough about Tom Taylor’s writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    But enough about Tom Taylor’s writing.
    He is one of many examples. The problem is that i still can't find a reason why. I can't explain why it happens with her, while they do a better job with portraying the power of other powerhouses(female ones included)

K.
    I like Roulette and Count Vertigo. Agent of Peace is a great read.

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Is there really any wonder why Wonder Woman routinely gets the shaft with respect to who she fights, or even with respect to her powerset?

I have consistently asked for her to be portrayed as the powerhouse that she should be, and the only time I can find that with any consistency is in the DC animated universe, with her first solo movie being an exception to this. Otherwise, in the animated universe they tend to do her right.

But if we keep accepting the drivel they give us without letting them know with our pocketbooks that we are pissed, then nothing much is going to happen.

For as much as people loved her 1st live action movie (I am included in this), they still nerfed her by not allowing her to fly and using that stupid sword and shield to make her look like a superpowered Xena. Maybe she flies in her next movie which would be awesome, something I would love to see, but if it is because of armor and not because of an innate ability in her, then I will be severely disappointed. Web slinging on lightning bolts, while visually looks great, is not my idea of how Diana should get around in the air. Plus, if the plot that has been leaked is to be believed, she is going to be depowered for much of the movie so the strength feats that at least some of us want to see probably won't be there. Again, it might look like to some that she is in the street fighter mode instead of Superman powerhouse mode.

This is probably about 65% of the reason I’d love a shot at writing or editing Wonder Woman - to give her feats and problems worthy of her wide array of abilities and have opponents act “reasonably” when encountering her.

I like Count Vertigo and am down with him and his abilities and how they might affect Diana, but they’re rarely thought of creatively of how Diana might counteract them and how much of a struggle it might be for Count Vertigo to attempt to subdue her. Therein is the fun and the drama.

One of the best examples ever of a character’s power level and the reaction by the protagonists is in Simone’s Secret Six when the Sixers encounter Cheetah and they’re all essentially, “Okay. We’re out. Cyaaaa.” and the flee. So good and such a reasonable reaction.

Regardless, Diana needs creatives that creatively play with her gods-blessed abilities and how she uses them combating mundane and superhuman threats.