Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Is there really any wonder why Wonder Woman routinely gets the shaft with respect to who she fights, or even with respect to her powerset?

I have consistently asked for her to be portrayed as the powerhouse that she should be, and the only time I can find that with any consistency is in the DC animated universe, with her first solo movie being an exception to this. Otherwise, in the animated universe they tend to do her right.

But if we keep accepting the drivel they give us without letting them know with our pocketbooks that we are pissed, then nothing much is going to happen.

For as much as people loved her 1st live action movie (I am included in this), they still nerfed her by not allowing her to fly and using that stupid sword and shield to make her look like a superpowered Xena. Maybe she flies in her next movie which would be awesome, something I would love to see, but if it is because of armor and not because of an innate ability in her, then I will be severely disappointed. Web slinging on lightning bolts, while visually looks great, is not my idea of how Diana should get around in the air. Plus, if the plot that has been leaked is to be believed, she is going to be depowered for much of the movie so the strength feats that at least some of us want to see probably won't be there. Again, it might look like to some that she is in the street fighter mode instead of Superman powerhouse mode.
    We have to remember that she did not fly before 1985 so patty is doing it right. Also she is Zeus's daughter so that explains lasso lightning. I would like to see some major strength and super speed feats in travel since we've seen her reaction speed. I mean Spider-Man held a huge boat together that was in half & aquaman lifted a huge submarine. She's at the height of her powers as Patty says so I can't wait to see what enormous objects she will lift. The tank & armored truck was a good first showing feat. Judging from the Vietnamese trailer I saw on Youtube Barbara is pretty strong herself tossing people left and right

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    We have to remember that she did not fly before 1985 so patty is doing it right. Also she is Zeus's daughter so that explains lasso lightning. I would like to see some major strength and super speed feats in travel since we've seen her reaction speed. I mean Spider-Man held a huge boat together that was in half & aquaman lifted a huge submarine. She's at the height of her powers as Patty says so I can't wait to see what enormous objects she will lift. The tank & armored truck was a good first showing feat. Judging from the Vietnamese trailer I saw on Youtube Barbara is pretty strong herself tossing people left and right
    I TOTALLY disagree, DCEU WW is truly nerfed without flight. And no the lightning lassoing thing doesn't count. Instead of making up new abilities they should just give us what we want to see, her REAL powers.

Please, not another flight debate. My heart can't take it.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I TOTALLY disagree, DCEU WW is truly nerfed without flight. And no the lightning lassoing thing doesn't count. Instead of making up new abilities they should just give us what we want to see, her REAL powers.
    Snyder said dceu ww could always fly & her powers that most people know of have already been shown right? Which are we missing?

She fights Gods all the time...its honestly the reason why WW stories tend to all blur together.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious View Post
    Snyder said dceu ww could always fly & her powers that most people know of have already been shown right? Which are we missing?
    Flight, sisterhood with fire, the Wonder spin and communication with animals. I love the tiara toss in '84 though.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

We should get a Wonder spin in the movies, considering the homages to the Lynda Carter version.

If not in WW84, then definitely WW3

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    She fights Gods all the time...its honestly the reason why WW stories tend to all blur together.
    She is not fighting Gods most of the time in her solo title. And the few times she did in rebirth. Most of the time the fighting scenes were nothing worthy of the word Godly. Her and her villains have been feeling underwhelming for far too long in current continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    We should get a Wonder spin in the movies, considering the homages to the Lynda Carter version.

If not in WW84, then definitely WW3
    Think Jenkins said an interview she framed the No Man's Land scene where Diana puts on her tiara/pulls her hair down and the camera spins around her was the closest she'd probably get at doing the spin the first movie at least.

Of course with lightning-lassoing the spin wouldn't really out of place now.

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Flight, sisterhood with fire, the Wonder spin and communication with animals. I love the tiara toss in '84 though.
    Plus super strength, durability and speed feats on the level of a high tier. Those are also things that DCEU WW needs to show. Because her previous appearances focused too much on the sword and shield.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    She is not fighting Gods most of the time in her solo title. And the few times she did in rebirth. Most of the time the fighting scenes were nothing worthy of the word Godly. Her and her villains have been feeling underwhelming for far too long in current continuity.
    I want a shock and we haven't had that in so long. Solicits ruin stories, imagine we hadn't known Cheetah was shattering Diana's bracelets months in advance. It still may have been bad, but we wouldn't have seen it coming.

(A shock is Diana blinding herself with venom to win a fight).

From what I've heard from creatives (I think Saladin Ahmed), writers have less input than one might think about the opponents a superhero might face. Rather, they seem to be assigned one or more villains by the editor. Of course, writers can certainly pitch stories with villains they want to use, but in the end it's the editor's choice.

Anyway, I don't have anything against Diana (or other superheroes with similar power levels) dealing with street level antagonists, as long as the stories are good. I think the problem lies more in the lack of good stories than in the opponents that Diana faces.

Even borrowing rogues from the galleries of other heroes is largely fine, especially if they themselves are A-list villains. "Morning Coffee" by Ollie Masters with Catwoman and Wonder Woman back in the old digital Sensation Comics was a delight.

Get good stories that showcase the personality of both Diana and the villain, and the rest will follow.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

Plus super strength, durability and speed feats on the level of a high tier. Those are also things that DCEU WW needs to show. Because her previous appearances focused too much on the sword and shield.
    While we might get flight based on spoilers I have read, we probably are not going to get really impressive strength feats based on the plot device with Max Lord. And, when you show something like flight at the end of the movie, kind of sucks for us to have to wait for 4 movies with her in it to finally, maybe see this power. Even though it makes no sense in context of her 2 movies that were set in modern times in which she doesn't have this power. And, before someone says we should disavow those movies, Bruce Wayne was the plot device in the 1st movie in which she flash backed her origin because of the picture he gave her.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    While we might get flight based on spoilers I have read, we probably are not going to get really impressive strength feats based on the plot device with Max Lord. And, when you show something like flight at the end of the movie, kind of sucks for us to have to wait for 4 movies with her in it to finally, maybe see this power. Even though it makes no sense in context of her 2 movies that were set in modern times in which she doesn't have this power. And, before someone says we should disavow those movies, Bruce Wayne was the plot device in the 1st movie in which she flash backed her origin because of the picture he gave her.
    We can still disavow those since they're all over the place themselves. We have two alternate versions of JL by different directors and whatever is going on with Flashpoint. It's a free for all at this point.

Even WW84 is showing Diana either at least gliding if not flying in the previews, a power she did not display in BvS or JL, so Jenkins doesn't seem concerned with lining up with anyone's vision but her own. Considering the WW films are mostly self contained, that's the smart way to go.

Astonishing Member

I'm gonna state the obvious and say that the reason why they're focusing on the sword and shield is to differentiate her powers from similar Flying Brick characters. It's honestly not a bad thing and more important than just outright showcasing her "power".
    Last edited by PCN24454; 12-02-2020 at 04:46 PM.