Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm gonna state the obvious and say that the reason why they're focusing on the sword and shield is to differentiate her powers from similar Flying Brick characters. It's honestly not a bad thing and not more important then just outright showcasing her "power".
    It is a bad thing. Wonder Woman is not Xena. And how is showcasing her power not important? With all the time they spend saying what a powerful Goddess she is, one would think they would care to actually show it. If they want to differentiate her so much from other flying bricks, then just remove her powers. It's pointless to say she is a powerhouse and then never show it and just focus on a sword and shield. I don't know how making her a super human xena makes her more "unique", or why she should be the only flying brick that needs to be "differentiated". Everybody and their mothers are allowed to be powerhouses. CM, Mary Marvel, Supergirl etc. Yet the number one most iconic female super hero, that was created as a powerhouse to stand next to the male powerhouses, has to be reduced to a xena ripped off in current continuity. Yeah warrior woman being all about sword and shield, that makes her very "unique" indeed.
    Last edited by WonderLight789; 12-02-2020 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    From what I've heard from creatives (I think Saladin Ahmed), writers have less input than one might think about the opponents a superhero might face. Rather, they seem to be assigned one or more villains by the editor. Of course, writers can certainly pitch stories with villains they want to use, but in the end it's the editor's choice.

Anyway, I don't have anything against Diana (or other superheroes with similar power levels) dealing with street level antagonists, as long as the stories are good. I think the problem lies more in the lack of good stories than in the opponents that Diana faces.

Even borrowing rogues from the galleries of other heroes is largely fine, especially if they themselves are A-list villains. "Morning Coffee" by Ollie Masters with Catwoman and Wonder Woman back in the old digital Sensation Comics was a delight.

Get good stories that showcase the personality of both Diana and the villain, and the rest will follow.
    Then the question is why this seems to be a problem that happens to WW so often. Even some C list female characters are given portrayals that have more effort into showcasing their power, than the way Diana is being treated currently. I would assume the editors would care to put some effort into that at least, but that doesn't seem to be the case and i can't understand why.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    It is a bad thing. Wonder Woman is not Xena. And how is showcasing her power not important? With all the time they spend saying what a powerful Goddess she is, one would think they would care to actually show it. If they want to differentiate her so much from other flying bricks, then just remove her powers. It's pointless to say she is a powerhouse and then never show it and just focus on a sword and shield. I don't know how making her a super human xena makes her more "unique", or why she should be the only flying brick that needs to be "differentiated". Everybody and their mothers are allowed to be powerhouses. CM, Mary Marvel, Supergirl etc. Yet the number one most iconic female super hero, that was created as a powerhouse to stand next to the male powerhouses, has to be reduced to a xena ripped off in current continuity. Yeah warrior woman being all about sword and shield, that makes her very "unique" indeed.
    I'm not big on the sword/shield as a default either but she's for the most part been depicted fine in the DCEU for the most part, at least in the ways that matter. She was one of the only things from BvS people liked and the first movie made it clear the sword was a red herring which WW84 seems to be following up on.

There's JL sure, but pretty much no one liked that film and no one really outside of diehard Superman fans really defends the scene where he stomps the League

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    I'm not big on the sword/shield as a default either but she's for the most part been depicted fine in the DCEU for the most part, at least in the ways that matter. She was one of the only things from BvS people liked and the first movie made it clear the sword was a red herring which WW84 seems to be following up on.

There's JL sure, but pretty much no one liked that film and no one really outside of diehard Superman fans really defends the scene where he stomps the League
    Even the diehard Superman fans really only defend him stomping the other JL members. With Wonder Woman, there is a little more wiggle room in responses in at least how quickly she went down when she shouldn't have.

Everyone else though? Yeah that's how it would go down. Still a dumpster fire of a movie though

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Roulette was in Agent of Peace a week ago, and Count Vertigo in her main book. And that's just recently.
    Vertigo's abilities are pretty useful for supers and street levels alike...However the problem here is that Dr Psycho can also do the off balance thing to Diana. I have NO problem with Diana fighting street levelers (I always found power debates boring...with the exception of popular characters [Bat related] ALWAYS punching above their weight class), my problem is that Diana doesn't fight HER street levelers. (Heck the power debates can explain why Diana's unique rogues barely get used, kind of similar to how Superman's rogues are often underappreciated if they don't either have kryptonite or get to goofy levels of blowing up planets with a finger)

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I'm gonna state the obvious and say that the reason why they're focusing on the sword and shield is to differentiate her powers from similar Flying Brick characters. It's honestly not a bad thing and not more important then just outright showcasing her "power".
    I think the obvious way to differentiate WW from other “Flying Bricks” (this is a new term for me) would be to focus on her bracelets, lasso, tiara—even the jet. Decades old gear that everyone associates with her and that nobody else has. Giving her the same tools Xena, Valkyrie, Lady Sif and Red Sonja use does not make her stand out.
    “You see…the rest of them are soldiers. But [Wonder Woman] is an artist.”

I only support the made of clay origin.

Diana was created with an intent to be "as strong and as powerful as Superman" by her own creator. I'm so tired of constantly having to look for scraps when it comes to Wonder Woman's power representation. I know what she can do, heck I made a whole respect thread about it, clearly DC editorial either doesn't know or doesn't care.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I think the obvious way to differentiate WW from other “Flying Bricks” (this is a new term for me) would be to focus on her bracelets, lasso, tiara—even the jet. Decades old gear that everyone associates with her and that nobody else has. Giving her the same tools Xena, Valkyrie, Lady Sif and Red Sonja use does not make her stand out.
    This makes the most sense, super strength and flight should be an AFTERTHOUGHT, not the focus...I often forget that Martian Manhunter is supposed to have super strength because telepathy and shapeshifting are on the forefront more often. Writers often have problems thinking of interesting uses for the lasso (I actually find swinging from lightning bolts and clouds to be rather charming).

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Vertigo's abilities are pretty useful for supers and street levels alike...However the problem here is that Dr Psycho can also do the off balance thing to Diana. I have NO problem with Diana fighting street levelers (I always found power debates boring...with the exception of popular characters [Bat related] ALWAYS punching above their weight class), my problem is that Diana doesn't fight HER street levelers. (Heck the power debates can explain why Diana's unique rogues barely get used, kind of similar to how Superman's rogues are often underappreciated if they don't either have kryptonite or get to goofy levels of blowing up planets with a finger)
    I have a problem with high tiers fighting street levelers, or any character in general punching above their weight class when there is no real explanation that can make the story have a real meaning and feel organic instead of forced. That is the problem with Wondy lately. Not only she doesn't feel like the powerhouse she used to be by facing street levelers, the way the whole thing is executed is so poor. That there is no real explanation to how these street levelers are causing problems to a God like being with God like weapons. And as a result, the stories are just anti climatic. If she was fighting her own street levelers, and the story had a a good plot explaning how they managed to find a way to challenge her in one way or another. I would be singing a different tune. But as thigs stand. She feels underwhelming in most fights, while fighting opponents far below her league that aren't even her own villains. And without any real good plot presenting this far physically outclassed opponents in a situation where they find a way to threat her. The quality of the writing is lacking in every sense. But apparently, we should feel satistifed with just seeing her there, moving that generic sword and shield everytime, because oh that is so "cool" and "badass".

Quote Originally Posted by Largo161 View Post
    I'm glad the movie at least seems to be focusing on these. It makes sense for her to use the sword and shield in the first movie as she is only just discovering her power so she will fight like the Amazons trained her to do. It is sensible and practical to bring them in a fight against someone like Doomsday, but once she's at her power she should not carry them around as her default.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    This makes the most sense, super strength and flight should be an AFTERTHOUGHT, not the focus...I often forget that Martian Manhunter is supposed to have super strength because telepathy and shapeshifting are on the forefront more often. Writers often have problems thinking of interesting uses for the lasso (I actually find swinging from lightning bolts and clouds to be rather charming).
    Flight maybe, but IMO definitely not strength. She should be one of the heavy hitters in the DCU and it should be at the forefront of her abilities. For the Earth she occupies, only Superman and maybe Supergirl should be stronger, but not by much and she should be ahead of MM, Aquaman, etc.

I'm come around to liking a combo of the Invisible jet (Amazon tech) and gliding on air currents (with the added benefit of the lasso lightning swinging), as it would be unique to her visually. Or full blown Superman-style flight. Just as long as she's not flightless and lacking anything else to fall back on, I'm good.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

Since when is Count Vertigo a "street-level villain"?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Flight maybe, but IMO definitely not strength. She should be one of the heavy hitters in the DCU and it should be at the forefront of her abilities. For the Earth she occupies, only Superman and maybe Supergirl should be stronger, but not by much and she should be ahead of MM, Aquaman, etc.

I'm come around to liking a combo of the Invisible jet (Amazon tech) and gliding on air currents (with the added benefit of the lasso lightning swinging), as it would be unique to her visually. Or full blown Superman-style flight. Just as long as she's not flightless and lacking anything else to fall back on, I'm good.
    Oh you mistake me...I don't mean that she shouldn't have these abilities; I mean that they shouldn't be a focus in comparison to her unique abilities...

Quote Originally Posted by FutureWonder View Post
    Since when is Count Vertigo a "street-level villain"?
    I'd like to know this as well...I compared his "vertigo effect" to something Dr. Psycho could also do (as it isn't really something physical). By "street level", are we talking about who the villain normally opposes? Or are we more talking about how much the character can bench (physical strength)?
    Last edited by Mistah K88; 12-02-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mystical41 View Post
    I don't think superman and supergirl should be stronger than her. And supergirl we have seen her defeated by Wonder Woman more than once already.
    And I think they should.
    That still puts her way above most others.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    And I think they should.
    That still puts her way above most others.
    You seem to be more in line with the mentality of current DC. Making sure that WW isn't allowed to be equal to certain top guns, for no reason other than. yeah i see no reason for that at all. Marston wanted her to be as strong as SM. And based on actual feats. She is above supergirl. I don't understand this mentality that WW must be weaker than kryptonians, when she is supposed to be on that level and not below.

I've seen Supergirl and Powergirl for that matter get put on their butts to many times by Wondy to be considered on par with her physically, sometimes even by one hit KOs. I don't think she should be stronger then Superman, equal is what the intent was, and wasn't there a story that explained why Superman consistently beat other Kryptonians; like he was basically the super solider equivalent to a Kryponian? But that's an off topic question.

What really sets Diana apart from other heavy hitters was her skill. This is a woman with combat speeds on par with Flash on her best days. Someone that even Batman considers to be the greatest melee fighter in the world. I'm annoyed and bored reading a story where Diana is physically a little more impressive then Deathstroke, I'm more so pissed that she losses fights to minor no name villains or cannon fodder. I mean 3000+ years of amazon training and experience amounts to nothing I suppose. DC's greatest warrior and they can't even let her win fights.

Diana can have the physical stats of a God, the skills of a world class fighter, and OP gear; she can have all of that and still have drama, suspense, and struggle in her stories. All it takes is a bit of creativity.
    Zaldrīzes Buzdari Iksos Daor