Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Is Convergence canon to Pre-Flashpoint?

There were some Convergence specials that continued where the Pre-Flashpoint continuity left off: The Question, Nightwing and Oracle, and Titans to name a few. Is there absolute certainty that these stories are a canonical continuation of the Post-Crisis DCU or are they more of an Elseworlds of what could have been?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    There were some Convergence specials that continued where the Pre-Flashpoint continuity left off: The Question, Nightwing and Oracle, and Titans to name a few. Is there absolute certainty that these stories are a canonical continuation of the Post-Crisis DCU or are they more of an Elseworlds of what could have been?
    Does it matter? But I believe Elseworlds.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

If you liked those Convergence stories, they’re canon. If you didn’t, they just alternate timeline stuff

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    If you liked those Convergence stories, they’re canon. If you didn’t, they just alternate timeline stuff
    Beat me to it.

Convergence was essentially a holding pattern so, like most things, the stuff people really liked can be canon. Luckily, because that continuity ended, it's your choice to cherry pick the stuff that works. I think the only one we have confirmation on is the only one they continued to roll with afterward, which is Superman.

Amazing Member

To paraphrase the Great DC brass "It's all canon, so none of it is canon"

BANNED

It's canon if it makes money - DC Ethos.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    It's canon if it makes money - DC Ethos.
    So it's canon is it makes a big bang?

I'll let myself out now.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    I assume they were canonical, given that Convergence was, except that it doesn't matter since they all get destroyed at the end of that story anyway. The reason I say I think they were canonical is that's how the Super-marriage and Jon Kent were introduced into the DCU, so it's clear that whatever was going on in those stolen bits of time/continuity actually contained "real" versions of the characters.