Default Previous Examples of Mutant Technology

I love that they are exploring this and I've read some example's here and there but if you know of any big one's can you post them here.

I found an example from Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men Reload days that didn't go over so well when it first came out. But now looking back at it makes perfect sense.

Also an example of Betsylocke x X23 Fastball Special from Messiah Complex

And a current example from HoXPoX.

My pictures might be a tad small. Sorry in advance.

Also a little confused why they ended up calling it technology.

840813-x_men447_15b.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.28.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-12-09 at 10.25.39 PM.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I love that they are exploring this and I've read some example's here and there but if you know of any big one's can you post them here.

I found an example from Chris Claremont's Uncanny X-Men Reload days that didn't go over so well when it first came out. But now looking back at it makes perfect sense.

840813-x_men447_15b.jpg

Well one of the definitions of technology is using scientific knowledge for real world uses. I'd say combining different powers in new and unconventional ways fits that.
    GrindrStone(D)

True. For someone reason I think of machines and AI for technology but thats just my narrow view. Valid point.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

The Ultimate Intimacy is clearly an early example of Mutant Technology.

Astonishing Member

True. For someone reason I think of machines and AI for technology but thats just my narrow view. Valid point.
    I remember the handbook for the video game Arcanum (which involves a classic fantasy world that goes through an industrial revolution) which described technology as anything which involves using physical laws to create a desired result (as opposed to magic which bends and breaks the laws of physics to create a desired result).

As example it mentions a seesaw as ones of the simplest form of constructable technology. Since it can be created with nothing but a log and a board, but allows for lifting objects to the point that depending on how far you move the board over the log you can also lift heavier objects with less power.

However in that fictional world magic/super natural forces and technology are excluding each other because of the "break physical laws" vs "uses physical laws" conflict, while in many other fantasy works, super hero comics included, technology and super natural forces can not only exist side by side but also work into each other. Like in the world of Avatar the Last Airbender.

So perhaps the best way to describe "technology" in such worlds as the marvel universe would be "anything which involves combining physical laws for a desired result even if the laws are manipulated by super natural means".

Though i admit by that definition Storm alone would count as walking piece of mutant technology, since she alone can allready combine different super naturaly manipulated physical laws for results.

Emma Frost created the "Mindtap Mechanism" used by Mastermind to control/corrupt the Phoenix Force Entity/Jean Grey during the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Spectacular Member

Could scenes of Rogue has absorbed multiple characters powers to fight a more powerful opponent (I think she did this versus Nimrod, and then I know she did it during Uncanny Avengers) count?

I remember a comic where Cyclops, Havok and Iceman teamed up to redirect a large source of energy. I think it was sort of like Havok providing energy, Cyclops directing and concentrating it and Iceman preventing Scott from reaching deadly temperatures.

Giant Size X-Men #1- Cyclops and Havok energizing Polaris and Storm to throw Krakoa into orbit.

HOX arrival party- Siryn powered Dazzlers light show.

I forget when but Storm has added moisture into the air to fuel Icemans powers in the last.

Plenty of times in the 90s, people would fuel up Bishop. Not sure that counts?

Mighty Member

There was an issue of the original Excalibur when Shadowcat used her powers to have them all merge into Meggan to make her more powerful. Can’t remember but I’ll try to find a pic

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

840813-x_men447_15b.jpg

I'm so happy you posted that last image, for the LONGEST time several of us we're trying to figure out exactly what Xavier and Co. were doing during HOX/POX with that connection. But it seems Xavier was using all parties involved to help him bridge the gap or distance between Krakoa and the Sun, whereas Jean and Monet then eventually Jean was bridging the gap or distance from the Sun to Krakoa. REALLY COOL STUFF!

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    I remember a comic where Cyclops, Havok and Iceman teamed up to redirect a large source of energy. I think it was sort of like Havok providing energy, Cyclops directing and concentrating it and Iceman preventing Scott from reaching deadly temperatures.

Right you are, but if this is the instance you're thinking of it also required Xavier, Lorna, and Jean. Xavier amassed the energies of billions, Lorna located the X-men, Jean received the energies transferred them to Havok, which is where the below panel picks up.
    Last edited by Celestialbodies; 12-10-2020 at 12:48 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Purely so they can have characters like Wiz Kid and Forge play a roll in it because of the way their powers are described in English. It is pretty unclever, really, but whatever, most mutants powers end up just being whatever the writer thinks is possible based on word association anyway so as long as the concept is cool and leads to something storywise I am not going to lose sleep over it.