Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 12.24%
  • No

43 87.76%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default If Superman decided to conquer the Earth (to help it) would Lois stand by him?

Like lets just say Superman says he seen enough and decides he wants to take control of the world to make it a safer place. He still has all of the characteristics she fell in love with he just wants to conquer the Earth. Would she stand by him?
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

No she would not.

No she would not.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Nah, homie.
    "Cable was right!"

BANNED

The answer is no.

In the JLTAS two-parter "A Better World," one of those bargain basement Evil Supermen you see all over the place these days has taken over the world following what looks vaguely like a nuclear crisis incited by President Luthor.

Lois is locked up in her apartment and kept under armed guard.

I also don't think Superman would ever consider taking over the world. He's too much a Champion of the Common Man to do that. Even if he thinks good could come of dismantling corrupt systems we live in, he would never take absolute power for himself, it just isn't in him.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Justice Lord Superman says no.

I don't think there's any version of Lois that was ever the main setting version that would go along with that. Of course, there's no version of Superman who was ever the main reality version at the time that would do that.
    Power with Girl is better.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

The question isn't if lois would help or not. The question is what kind of rule he brings. Does he bring prosperity or tyranny? Can clark provide a better system that western democracy? I mean, democracy has its set of pitfalls and problems.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    The question isn't if lois would help or not. The question is what kind of rule he brings. Does he bring prosperity or tyranny? Can clark provide a better system that western democracy? I mean, democracy has its set of pitfalls and problems.
    Ever read Alan Moore's Marvelman?

At the end of that story, Marvelman and co. take over the world, and it ultimately ushers in a new golden age, but there's a lot of lingering questions about what it means to be human, the fact that we're kind of leaving humanity behind, and ultimately it's ambiguous, we can be sure that Marvelman is better than Margaret Thatcher, but we still maybe shouldn't be totally sanguine about losing everything we once had. In some ways I think it's the furthest conclusion of Jerry Siegel's original claim that Superman is fated to "reshape the destiny of a world."

Anyway, I still don't totally think Superman would do that in the first place. I still don't think he would "take over the world". He would absolutely influence the world to fit more with his ideals. I mean imagine being eight or twelve or something and seeing first-hand the future rebuilt in your own image, with the Legion! He's probably been chasing that future ever since. But I don't think he would do it by totally undermining and replacing democracy with a benevolent dictatorship. He wouldn't take over by force.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    And it's still the best system of government.

I doubt she would with knowing what we do about her character.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    And it's still the best system of government.
    Best we have doesn't mean best solution.The moment we stop searching for better we become stagnant.And stagnation isn't something world needs to solve it's problems.
    Democracy is slow in policy making.it requires consensus. This idea that democracy can't go tyrannical is also wishful thinking.Just because I might not have an answer.Doesn't mean an answer isn't needed.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-30-2020 at 09:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Ever read Alan Moore's Marvelman?

At the end of that story, Marvelman and co. take over the world, and it ultimately ushers in a new golden age, but there's a lot of lingering questions about what it means to be human, the fact that we're kind of leaving humanity behind, and ultimately it's ambiguous, we can be sure that Marvelman is better than Margaret Thatcher, but we still maybe shouldn't be totally sanguine about losing everything we once had. In some ways I think it's the furthest conclusion of Jerry Siegel's original claim that Superman is fated to "reshape the destiny of a world."

Anyway, I still don't totally think Superman would do that in the first place. I still don't think he would "take over the world". He would absolutely influence the world to fit more with his ideals. I mean imagine being eight or twelve or something and seeing first-hand the future rebuilt in your own image, with the Legion! He's probably been chasing that future ever since. But I don't think he would do it by totally undermining and replacing democracy with a benevolent dictatorship. He wouldn't take over by force.
    The "Lois" in that book didn't follow him into that either. Not sure if that was in Moore's last issue or in Gaimen's "Golden Age" but as he left his humanity behind, she left him. It also pretty clearly was not being set up as a "good facism" story too. Considering the ending was going to be Kid Miracleman coming back in the "Dark Age" conclusion. It definitely did not paint too rosy of a picture of things.

On the main topic, Lois would never follow Clark in "conquering" the Earth regardless of whatever reason or the outcome. If through some future changes he ended up leading the Earth, that's different, but "conquering" implies he does it by force and is resisted and she would never go along with that.

Astonishing Member

Absolutely not. She would never be for it nor would she ever support him, even if he meant well and he, as someone already said, was a benevolent dictator. A dictator is still a dictator, no matter their works.