Spectacular Member

Default Where's best to start with The Flash

Hey all, any suggestions which Flash TPB to start with. My girlfriend recently got into the CW series and would like to read comics. Probably about Barry. Any suggestions are helpful?

Quote Originally Posted by adamishere1 View Post
    Hey all, any suggestions which Flash TPB to start with. My girlfriend recently got into the CW series and would like to read comics. Probably about Barry. Any suggestions are helpful?
    I think your best bet, since she's a fan of the show, is probably The New 52 Flash Omnibus by Francis Manapul...

mycomicshop.com has a pretty good deal on it right now too..it's a $100 book and they've got it for around $60

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

For new users, I recommend the New 52 Flash omnibus or volumes 1-4 (covering issues #0-25) by Francis Manapul and Flash Rebirth Deluxe Editions by Joshua Williamson. Both are great jumping on points for new readers and both are excellent takes on Barry Allen.

If you decide to go with Manapul, definitely see if you can find Flash Brightest Day and Flash Road To Flashpoint. Manapul does the pencils and ink for those two volumes and Geoff Johns writes. Since you're into the show, you may want to pick up John's Flashpoint book too. It ends Johns run on Barry Allen, before Manapul takes over writing and drawing duties full time for the New 52. All these books are on decent prices on Amazon. So check'em out.
    Last edited by Doctor Know; 12-01-2020 at 11:07 AM.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

Williamson’s Rebirth run. Very solid, and I feel he did with Barry, what Geoff did with Hal.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

There's also the recently collected Waid stories which is pretty amazing, as well as John's Flash omnis

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Looking for Barry stuff, definitely start with Williamson's recently completed run. (Volume 5 #1- 762) Don't worry, DC decided to add up all issues at renumber starting with #700 - it's 101 issues total.

If you want to deep dive, there's a number of ways you can go.
    Messner-Loebs' run with Wally (Volume 2 #14-61)
    Waid's run with Wally. (Volume 2 #62-159 - there's a short fill-in with Millar & Morrison which is also top notch)
    Johns' run with Wally. (Volume 2 #164-225)
    For a Barry read pre-Crisis, try Cary Bates' run (Volume 1 #216-350)
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

If you are looking for modern Barry then I would go with the Francis Manapul run. There really isn't a great modern Barry run yet but this was fun and beautiful art. I didn't care for Williamsons run too much so cannot recommend that.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Granted, all of these stories are decades old, but they help to establish the basics and whet the appetite.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I really enjoyed Vol 2, when Wally took over after crisis. Unfortunately its not collected well, so I had to find individual issues. I didn't make it all the way to when Mark Waid took over writing, but I've heard great things about his run on Vol 2 as well with Wally.

BANNED

I second the guy who suggested the New 52 Flash omnibus.