Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default What characters/franchises should Superman (stories) draw inspiration from?

Are there any non-Superman characters or non-Superman franchises you think Superman writers should draw inspiration from? If so, which ones and why?

The real interesting thing should be to see who doesn't list off whatever popular anime from the past 20-ish years.

For non-obvious selections among TV shows, I say early seasons of MacGyver (unique science-inspired problem solving), Psych (how to uses his senses properly and discreetly; also how to fool people), and Suits (use that Super brain of his).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The real interesting thing should be to see who doesn't list off whatever popular anime from the past 20-ish years.
    Lol, I think it will bound to happen here. But, I think I want something like Fred Roger in It's a Beautiful day in Neighborhood as Superman inspiration where instead of punching villain or doing something Super, we see him reaching out to people and help them. You know like that episode of JLU where Batman helps a little girl. I think such a story like that is quite rare for Superman nowadays which focuses more on earth-shattering stories and will be a nice turnout event.

I consume so much material it’s hard to limit the recommendations

The Cyberpunk and Deus Ex games provide a good window into how I’d like to see Metropolis operate.

The cosmic side of Superman should be a way to explore multiple genres of science fiction. Space opera stories like Star Wars, Star Trek, and Mass Effect. Science fiction thrillers that present mind bending weirdness and suspense like 2001: A Space Odyssey or Interstellar.

For Smallville I think a mix of Ray Bradbury and Stephen King is how I’d approach the place, since my preference as stated elsewhere is the Kents’ are dead in the modern day. So Clark is only going back is something is really wrong, and confronting the evil that’s surfaced underneath his childhood sanctuary is what I think would be cool.

For the Phantom Zone, make it more Lovecraftian. It’s a place that warps and twists you the longer you’re there, and the place crawls into your skin and makes itself at home. It should be a place that is both horrifying yet beautiful at the same time. Think the Daedra Realms from Elder Scrolls or the Fade.

Horror literature such as Salem’s Lot is also what I’d like to see influence takes on Parasite. For Mxy I think we need to get another reminder that he’s one of the most dangerous foes Superman has, and I’d like to see some Nyarlathotep or Gaunter O’Dimm to him.

Is some ouroboros ****, but Invincible. The fights, the conflicts, the way Mark enjoyed his powers... I would love to see someone bringing that type of energy to Superman. A fight like Mark and Tragg, or Mark vs Conquest when they both broke their arms punching each other.

Transmetropolitan, Clark is a journalist, and that is no one better than Spider Jerusalem. Some of the best issues of Transmetropolitan are basically an article by Spider functioning as the narration, and I would love to see something like that done with Superman, the same style, the same critic view, it's a better way of making Superman's view relevant than some "What's So Funny" type of story.

Fantastic Member

Definitely not Marvel or Batman, that's for sure.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Harold Lloyd,zorro,tarzan,John carter,Hugo danner,docsavage,hercules,moses,gladiators,strong men,journalists..etc.

Me as an asian-Monkey D Luffy, Sun wukong,hanuman..etc

People who superman shouldn't draw from
    jesus,gandhi...etc. That's too saintly.

The monkey king has a personality. He plays pranks and challenges gods.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 11-30-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBatman View Post
    Definitely not Marvel or Batman, that's for sure.
    I wouldn’t mind DC poaching Hickman’s charts or data pages honestly.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I was thinking Hickman Fantastic Four and Alan Moore’s Tom Strong.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Moore's Tom Strong has a good vibe for Superman. I wouldn't mind a mix between Tom Strong as a science hero of the pulp era and Indiana Jones, who makes it up as he goes and takes a punch like a champion.

Cosmic Superman should rock to Led Zeppelin. I know everyone thinks The Immigrant Song after Thor: Ragnarok, but honestly Kashmir fits interstellar travel so well and it's got the scope of Superman taking on Warworld or something.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Moore's Tom Strong has a good vibe for Superman. I wouldn't mind a mix between Tom Strong as a science hero of the pulp era and Indiana Jones, who makes it up as he goes and takes a punch like a champion.

Cosmic Superman should rock to Led Zeppelin. I know everyone thinks The Immigrant Song after Thor: Ragnarok, but honestly Kashmir fits interstellar travel so well and it's got the scope of Superman taking on Warworld or something.
    Led Zepplin by way of John Williams, of course

Extraordinary Member

From Lou Grant for the Daily Planet aspect.

Man, I'd just flip for some sort of animated sequence of a young Superman fighting and protecting a large group of people and them realizing that he's an ally not to be feared, all to pieces of the My Hero Academia soundtrack.

Example, imagine a protest against Superman because people are scared, and then a group of the Flesicher mechanical robots attack the city. Superman in his t-shirt and jeans look leaps in to protect those protesting against him to this:
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 12-01-2020 at 01:03 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El